SF to LA ? again

kcsuk

Earning My Ears
I have been reading all of the posts on this? and have received a lot if great info. GrandBob has been very helpful with his posts as well as others-thanks. We will be flying into SF from the midwest next summer and I am trying to incorporate as many things as I can into this trip while at the same time keeping it relaxed. We would like a chance to drive the Pacific Coast Highway as all of our drives around here are views of cornfields-good eats though!!! I was looking at trying to see some beautiful coastline and get to DL without taking too much time. So do I drive to SLO and cut inward to get a quicker route to DL? Do I or can I cut inward around Big Sur? Does SLO have a commuter airport to ditch the car and fly into John Wayne? OR do I drive to right around Monterey and find a not to expensive hotel and just enjoy this area for a day and take a commuter to LAX the next day. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I am totally perplexed at what we should do. I am hoping for all of your advice as you are in the know.Thanks soooooo much!!

You can't cut inland at the town of Big Sur. Even if you could, you'd miss most of the Big Sur coast (there's more of it south of the town of Big Sur than north). The first opportunity to go inland is at the town of Gorda. But, while it's a beautiful drive itself, it would actually be longer than continuing on to SLO.

IOW, if you want to see the Big Sur coast, you'll go at least as far as SLO.

Google maps has it as 3 hours and 45 minutes from there to Disneyland. A quick check on Orbitz tells me that there are flights from there to SNA, but they're expensive, and you'd have to make at least one change of planes, possibly two. You can go direct to LAX, but then you're still a ways from DLR.

Personally, I'd drive the entire way.

-Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter