Sharing a bedroom on vacation

la79al

DIS Veteran
My family is very fortunate that my dad pays for a family vacation week at the beach every summer. This summer we get 2 weeks. One of the biggest challenges is that me, DH, DD13, DD10 and DD6 share a bedroom. Theoretically this bedroom has 2 twin sized bed and a full size loft bed. In the past, DH and I take the twin sized beds, DD13 and DD10 share the loft and DD6 gets her toddler cot in the corner. DD13 is one of those children that needs her space and usually gets sort of grouchy by the end of the week. DD10 tends to fight with both of her sisters. This year no one wants to share the loft bed. I'm not 100% sure that there is floor space for a twin size air mattress but we could possibly stick one where we usually put the toddler cot. Please someone come up with some ideas on how to make this work. Normally I would just say 2 kids are sharing the loft, done, but they have all been home full time for the past 14 months and they are kind of over the together time. I need suggestions!

My family is very fortunate that my dad pays for a family vacation week at the beach every summer. This summer we get 2 weeks. One of the biggest challenges is that me, DH, DD13, DD10 and DD6 share a bedroom. Theoretically this bedroom has 2 twin sized bed and a full size loft bed. In the past, DH and I take the twin sized beds, DD13 and DD10 share the loft and DD6 gets her toddler cot in the corner. DD13 is one of those children that needs her space and usually gets sort of grouchy by the end of the week. DD10 tends to fight with both of her sisters. This year no one wants to share the loft bed. I'm not 100% sure that there is floor space for a twin size air mattress but we could possibly stick one where we usually put the toddler cot. Please someone come up with some ideas on how to make this work. Normally I would just say 2 kids are sharing the loft, done, but they have all been home full time for the past 14 months and they are kind of over the together time. I need suggestions!

Not sure these would help, but here are my coupe suggestions:

1. You and your husband take the full size loft bed. Older girls each get a twin. Youngest same as always.
  2. Either you or your husband take the loft bed with the youngest. Each girl gets a twin. Twin air mattress where the toddler cot used to be.
  3. Stay somewhere else with more space available.

Why wouldn't you and DH share the loft bed? That makes the most sense. Although, that entire situation sounds like a nightmare to me. Is it not an option to rent a larger place and pitch in some for the cost? Is this a vacation house that your family owns?

Not sure these would help, but here are my coupe suggestions:

1. You and your husband take the full size loft bed. Older girls each get a twin. Youngest same as always.
  2. Either you or your husband take the loft bed with the youngest. Each girl gets a twin. Twin air mattress where the toddler cot used to be.
  3. Stay somewhere else with more space available.

Why wouldn't you and DH share the loft bed? That makes the most sense. Although, that entire situation sounds like a nightmare to me. Is it not an option to rent a larger place and pitch in some for the cost? Is this a vacation house that your family owns?

Should have mentioned that I'm not sure I trust the loft bed for 2 adults or really even one plus the 6 year old. Staying somewhere else is not an option as it's not just us, we aren't paying and we have actually looked elsewhere but weren't able to find anything comparable. The girls favorite part of the vacation is hanging out with cousins so even just us going somewhere else would take away.

Should have mentioned that I'm not sure I trust the loft bed for 2 adults or really even one plus the 6 year old. Staying somewhere else is not an option as it's not just us, we aren't paying and we have actually looked elsewhere but weren't able to find anything comparable. The girls favorite part of the vacation is hanging out with cousins so even just us going somewhere else would take away.

I meant like, ALL of you finding a larger rental house so you could still stay together, but have more space. And, you all offer to help pay for it.

I meant like, ALL of you finding a larger rental house so you could still stay together, but have more space. And, you all offer to help pay for it.
We have looked. But the wants/needs of others we are staying with trumps our need for a bigger room. So we have to work with what we have.

Are the twin beds moveable? Could you push them together to have more floor space for an air mattress? Any other furniture that can be moved elsewhere in the house? Could all of the older cousins crash in the living room to make more room in the bedrooms for grownups and little kids?

Are the twin beds moveable? Could you push them together to have more floor space for an air mattress? Any other furniture that can be moved elsewhere in the house? Could all of the older cousins crash in the living room to make more room in the bedrooms for grownups and little kids?
The twin beds can't be moved together because of the legs for the loft bed. And in order to put the air mattress where the toddler cot went, we will already have to put a dresser in the closet (hopefully). Livingroom will already most likely be occupied. We have really outgrown this space but some of the other people don't consistently come or bring SO/SO kids. So about the time we spend more for a larger space, it will be the year no one can get off work.

Well...I was going to make the two above suggestions but I see in OP's further posts that a different house is not wanted by the group.
How about renting a RV for that week and staying in that?
Or - rent your own place nearby so your family has enough space?
Put the kids on air mattresses out in the living room and keep the bedroom for you & your husband?
Or explain to the group that your family doesn't fit in the current house and could they please compromise with you?

Sounds awful to me...I could not do this anymore...

But, if you want a suggestion that will suck for you, but probably appease the kids...

Put a kid in each bed. Put your spouse and you in sleeping bags on the floor where you can find them.

Make sure the fam knows this is your solution and have your spouse complain about his back every day.

End up with a change next year after suffering this year (or at least an out for you needing to stay with everyone)...

Yeah, good luck. Your family is outgrowing this one room--the situation is not going to get easier with time. Even if you find a solution for this year, you're going to have to look for different options for next year and beyond. How many years is the 6yo going to fit in a toddler bed?

Could you rent another room nearby (hotel? condo? another beach house?) and have part of the family sleep there--like, you DH, and the youngest, while letting the older two stay in this room, near their cousins?

Are there any couches in the beach house where a child or two could sleep?

Put the kids in the bedroom each in their own bed.

You and DH take a blow up queen air mattress and camp in the living room (or den, or whatever the house has). You can deflate/inflate each day/night.

Sounds miserable. I really have no suggestions except to rent a nearby place for your family and spend your days at the communal rental house with your family. Then go back at bedtime and have a larger, nicer place to sleep.

We would be cranky and ready to go home if none of us got a good nights sleep. Especially for 2 weeks. Maybe if you tell the family you will no longer be vacationing with them if they stay in the small rental house, there could be a compromise next year.

maybe shorten your stay or just come for a block of time in the middle.. Don't know how far it is from your house. Maybe you and your husband go for a few days in the beginning, let the kids stay for grandparent time, and you and your husband come for a few more days at the end. Another option your husband and DD13, shorten their stay. Get a tent and sleep outside. Have a child sleep in a grandparent room. I would be miserable for two weeks.

I would sit at least the older girls down and point out that you and they aren't paying for the vacation so you (and they) don't get a say in getting a better space. And that they value their time with cousins so hopefully it is just a bed to sleep in. So the previous arrangements are the situation for this year and we'll all be grateful to be so lucky. They are old enough to understand.

But then I would get together with your dad and point out that with all the children growing that it may be time to look into a different space or arrangement for next year. And offer to do the research and maybe kick in a little.

PHXscuba

Not sure about your family tree, but it sounds like you have brothers orsisters who also will be there (assuming those are the parents of your kids' cousins). How do they feel about the sleeping arrangements for their parts of the family?

My kids are grown up now, but when they were that old we could've done it for a week ... tops.

Could you tell your dad you'd rather have one week /two adjacent houses so everyone could spread out? What he's offering is very generous, but it's not enough for a family of five to be comfortable.

Maybe your dad would like to stay for two weeks and have part of the family with him on Week 1 and the rest of the family on Week 2.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter