Shingles...not a great way to start my week.

AmazingGrace

Relax! It's a message board!
Started with a little bug bite type rash on Thursday. Turns out I have shingles. So much pain right now. Dr. put me on valtrex, gabapentin and norco for pain. Welcome to my pity party, party of one.

I can totally sympathize! I had shingles when I was 26 and had just started a new and very stressful job. The rash was on my back, right at the waistline of my pants or skirt. I couldn't take any time off so I just went to work and suffered. I remember taking calamine lotion into the bathroom and whimpering as I applied it.

Try to get some rest if you can to help your body heal. Hopefully the meds will kick in so you can relax. Using calamine seemed to help my rash dry up so it wasn't so painful. Feel better soon!

LoriAnn, so sorry to hear you are going through this. I know my son had so much pain too when he had it.

Prayers for healing and I hope your family takes good care of you so you can rest and recover.

Oh you poor thing. I myself Know that suffering. Only one of the three times I got it was it mild. The other two were just awful.... I was unable to get the vaccine until I was completely cleared and that took so long. It was as a very crazy time. I strongly suggest the vaccine ...if you can in the future.
I pray your bout will be short lived... and the meds help with the symptoms.

I can totally sympathize! I had shingles when I was 26 and had just started a new and very stressful job. The rash was on my back, right at the waistline of my pants or skirt. I couldn't take any time off so I just went to work and suffered. I remember taking calamine lotion into the bathroom and whimpering as I applied it.

Try to get some rest if you can to help your body heal. Hopefully the meds will kick in so you can relax. Using calamine seemed to help my rash dry up so it wasn't so painful. Feel better soon!

Oh my goodness... I don't know how you even got dressed to go to work, just awful!! U have one strong constitution. I thought it was as bad as some Chemo treatments, tho once I did get a milder, tho still terrible case of it.

You poor thing. I've had shingles twice, both times on my face. So painful!! I hope you get some relief soon.

I'm so sorry. I'll join your pity party with my abscessed tooth. My dentist doesn't have any time available to see me until next week. I'm on antibiotics, but no pain meds. Argh.

I am so sorry! I had shingles about 10 years ago. I thought it was a bug bite on my back. It itched so bad I would stand at a door jamb and scratch it like a dog. That lasted a couple of days, then a sensitivity to light and the headache began. It was so bad for a couple of days that I would shower in the dark and wear my sunglasses all day. I finally called the doctor and as soon as he saw it, he knew it was shingles. He gave me Valtrex and within hours of the first dose, the headache was gone and the itching subsided. Prayers to you for a speedy recovery!

I am so sorry. I have had shingles 3 times, it is a feeling you will never forget, and I still have occasional nerve issues in my left shoulder from the second occurrence. I have thankfully caught all of mine right as the rash was just starting, but I did have to be hospitalized the last time for IV antivirals because it was right under my eye!

Maybe it won't be too bad. I had them on my upper thigh of one leg. The rash didn't itch at all but hurt pretty bad. I worked for a week before I went to the doctor because I just didn't think it was shingles since there was no itching and no weeping rash, just under the skin rash. When the pain got too bad, I finally went. She said I had it for too long to give most of the drugs they gave people so just gave me gabopentine, which I took twice and it didn't help so I ended up using advil and aspercreme with lidocane. I was out of work maybe 3 days with it.

I'm so sorry. I'll join your pity party with my abscessed tooth. My dentist doesn't have any time available to see me until next week. I'm on antibiotics, but no pain meds. Argh.
Oh no. I feel for you. Good news is, the antibiotics will help with the pain big time. I had a failed root canal a few years back. My dentist put me on clindomycin and the pain literally turned off like a switch within a day or two. I hope it happens that way for you. I also used thieves oil and peppermint oil in the sore area and ir helped with inflammation.

I'm so sorry you are suffering. Hope you feel better soon.

I know that shingles is very painful and you must be suffering. I hope the pain med.'s kick in soon and give you some relief.

AmazingGrace, did you get the vaccine? Are you in the group for which it is recommended?

....when I hear those painful-shingles stories, I am so glad that I've never had chicken pox....feel better soon!

@AmazingGrace, I hate hearing that you have shingles. From a former shingles sufferer, may you heal quickly and this episode be the only one for you. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter