Shore Excursions for Western

carolsherman

DIS Veteran
Any help would be appreciated I am a mom with 2 kids age 8 and 11 doing the 1/17/04 Western (first time) looking for shore excursions I am leaning towards captin marvins but am a little nervous about venturing away from DCL excursions being alone and all with the kids, But everyone gives captin marvins such rave reviews. What one should I do if I do captain marvins and how do you get there walk, do they pick you up and what happens if the ship cannot go to Grand Cayman. Now cozumel I am leaning toward the Fury Catamaran do you think it would be ok for the kids or can you recommend something else. Then last but not least what about Key West I have no clue as to what to do with the kids there I heard about an aquarium. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for all of the help you've given in the past these boards are great

Carol::confused: :confused: :confused:

I can share what we've decided to do and will post a trip report when I return from ou 6/21 Western.

We're sticking with DCL excursions even though there are strong recommendations on several others. Our reasoning is that it is easy - one stop shopping so to speak. Made reservations on 4/23 had hard copy of confirmation in hand 4/28. And that if something happens DCL can take care of it - ship doesn't make a port simple refund to stateroom account, no worrying about contacting, getting refund, etc. Also if the excursion runs late (and they are known for that in Cozumel especially from what I've read) DCL knows and holds the boat! I'm on vacation and want things taken care of for me.

In Key West we are booked for the Back to Nature Kayaking tour (our kids are 13 & 15) but know that a single mom and her 12 DS are planning on this as well. I was particularly looking for an excursion that would keep my 15 yo (will be almost 16 at the time we sail and looks 18!) away from the "wild life" of Duvall street. Plus it fits the sort of things we enjoy. This is an excursion type to be careful of. I spoke with Norm of Perfect Gift at some length as well as gathered a LOT of info on the "kayaking" excursions in KW. Some only go through the canal through town! This one goes out to Bird Key in the Wildlife Refuge.

Cozumel DD & I will do the horseback excursion and DH & DS will snorkel at Chankanaab

Grand Cayman all going to Stingray City.

Deb

We will be using Captain Marvins in about a month. We emailed our reservation and they were very prompt in their reply. We're told it's just a short walk from the pier and if, for whatever reason, the ship doesn't dock at Grand Cayman we will not be charged. We don't have to pay until we actually get there. I can let you know how everything went when we get back.

Hi Carol!

am a little nervous about venturing away from DCL excursions being alone and all with the kids

Others may disagree but I don't feel there is any reason to shun non-DCL shore excursion vendors. It's not like you're going out on a date with a friend of your best friend's former mother-in-law who is now in jail for soliciting. The guides want you and your children to have the time of your life so you'll recommend them to others and, hopefully, return yourself.

Recommendations:

On Grand Cayman, everyone seems to rave over Stingray City no matter which tour guide they have used. We took The Land And Sea Tour offered by Disney and it was terrible. On our upcoming August cruise, we have already made reservations for Captain Marvins. It seems to be a good choice as they have satisfied quite a number of Disders already. We are also going to try and fit in another horseback ride on the beach. "Another" = Nikki's horsebacking which my son and I also did on our first cruise.

On Cozumel I highly recommend Wild Tours ATV tour for you and the kids. They'll love it. It is a combination of ATV ride, kayaking and snorkeling along with a brief yet informative visit to a very local Mayan ruin. Wild Tours is not affiliated with Disney, but they are terrific. After the ATV tour, we are planning to try the minigolf offered by Sally.

As far as Key West is concerned, I've changed my mind more times than O.J. changed alibies. Presently planning to take another non-Disney shore excursion with mini-speedboats.

Hope some of this helps. Wishing you a most enjoyable cruise!

We have teenaged boys and this is what we've planned:

Key West: Catamaran Snorkeling offered thru DCL (this is the Fury Catamaran and we've done this before and can highly recommend). Should still have time afterwards for shopping and seeing the sunset.

Grand Cayman: Captain Marvin's (have heard nothing but good things about them and they seem to offer the best snorkeling opportunities).

Cozumel: Fury (we love the Fury Catamaran trips and love snorkeling - this is thru DCL).

Thanks for the help but as far as kayaking I don't think I can do that I just had back surgery a year ago. But Capt Marvins Ruth I belive her name is just e mailed me back I think definately we are going to do that as far as Cozumel I keep going back to the fury catamaran this will be my 3rd time there and I did shopping the other 2 times so I want to try something different. As far as key west I have no idea it seems more like an adult area does anyone know where the aquarium is or a website I may check that out anyways thanks for the wonderful tips everyone

Carol

For August, we booked two excursions at Grand Cayman (horseback riding and Stingray City) and one excursion at Cozumel (Dolphin Swim) with Shore Trips.

Rae

Conor and I are going on the speedboats in Key West. We are also planning on driving there from the ship on a 2 person scooter. I will let you know how we liked it (assuming we get there in one piece)

For our cruise Feb 28 th 2004, I already book Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman. Ruth is really nice and answer all my questions very fast.

In Cozumel, we are doing the Dolphin Swim. Marian from Dolphin Discovery is really nice too and answer promptly to all our questions.

In Key West, I don't know yet.

We want to do the mini speedboats in Key West, also. Do we need to secure transportation to and from the ship to the area where we start the speedboat tour?

Also, in Cozumel, Buckaroo's Dad, does Wild Tours have a website? Would like more info on the tours they provide.

Thanks, all.

Non DCL excursions are just fine as long as they don't charge you if you don't make the port (it happened to us). As far as KW is concerned, I highly recommend the butterfly farm on Duval St. It was amazing and our toddler loved it. It also wasn't very expensive. I think we paid about $36 for 4 adults and a child. We spend nearly and hour or more there and despite initial misgivings - all of us loved it! Even my 40 yr. old son!

Hi Cruzin1st - We are doing the Key West Speedboats and I am renting a scooter to drive to the marina which I believe is about 5-6 miles from the ship. You could also hire a taxi outside the port.

Thanks, Verniebird. When are you going? Have you made reservations for the speedboats and motorbike in advance? What is the name of the motorbike company? I should probably make the ressies if we're going in June, huh?

I did call the Key West Jungle Cruise Tours to reserve the speedboats. You can also download a $10 coupon from their website. You leave them your credit card info and you have a choice to pay cash at the time or leave the charges on your credit card. They also asked for a cellphone number in case they needed to reach me (I guess in case of bad weather).

Go to their website....it looks like an awesome tour and not too expensive.

The scooters we will rent when we leave the ship. There seem to be plenty around so we will rent at whatever establishment we find. I downloaded the directions from mapquest.com so I hope I dont get lost!

We are back from 4/12 cruise, will give you my take - Key West, we "rented" a 24 foot boat, with captain, from Easy Day Charters, and it was one of the best days ever. Picked us up at Harbor Lights Restaurent ($5.75 from pier via taxi) went out to "Dolphin Playground" to see them up close and personal, albeit wild, no swimming with them. Saw sharks, huge sea turtle, etc. Then we went snorkeling, eye to eye with barracuda and lots other wonderul fish, then we went fishing, caught lots of fish, some to keep and eat (I guess they'll cook your catch at restaurant if you choose), watch another boat close by try and land a marlin (I think) and it was just the best. Captain Tim was great with the kids (7 and 12), weather was perfect. I would not care to travel Duval Street after dark with kids (adult entertainment). Grand Cayman, don't miss Stingray City unless your kids are really afraid of fish! The stingrays swim around your legs, and it is only about 4 feet of water. Great photo ops. We did Captin Bryan's, were not disappointed. Horseback riding got "cancelled" due to late start on morning ride, but my deposit was refunded, so I would not worry about losing money. Cozumel, Mr. Sanchos was great. Good food, nice beach, nice people, horseback and ATV riding, but dusty on the trails! Short taxi ride $15 from pier. Hope these help you.

Cdolan could you please explain more about photo ops of stingrays? Can one person remain on the catamaran or boat and take pics from there or is it best to take an underwater camera and take the pics in the water of your family and the rays? Thanks!

The boats go so close to the actual sand bar that the stingrays are swimming around, you could do a video, as well as still pictures from the boat. But you really want to take a water camera, because our boat captain came in the water with us, and they can pick up the rays to the surface, and let you hold them, pet them, take pictures of the family doing the same. I guess their is some trick to getting them up on the surface without them slipping thru your arms. But they are all around you, brushing up against your legs. No water shoes or Tevas allowed, I guess that hurts their delicate skin. Water is four to five feet deep; we left the snorkeling vests and snorkel masks on the boat, and just used goggles. Seemed easier for us to maneuver around (7 and 12 year kids, good swimmers). Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter