Short cut to WDW from Windsor Hills?

momtotanmanandraerae

Mouseketeer
We are staying at Windsor Hills in three weeks. Our directions from our house says to take 192. I think I read on here a while ago that there was a shortcut to get into WDW. I think it takes you right by Animal Kingdom. Does anyone know what I am talking about and what the shortcut is? Thanks

We were at Windsor Hills a week ago. The shortcut is on Sherberth Rd. When you leave Windsor Hills turn left and go until you get up to 192 (less than 1 mile). Turn left on to 192 (going west), at the first set of lights you turn right on to Sherberth Rd. Follow that to the first set of lights and turn right. This is Osceola Parkway. Just follow the signs toward which ever park you're going to. When you come out of Disney follow the signs for Animal Kingdom Lodge. Turn left at the set of lights for Sherberth Rd. and go back on 192 the way you came in. It will only take you about 5 min. to get to Animal Kingdom from WHills. It takes less than 15 min to get in to the Magic Kingdom.

Thank you for those great directions. I have printed them out! Quick question, since you just got back from staying there, how long did it take you from the time you left WH to get into the turnstiles at Magic Kingdom. I know you have to park at the parking lots, take the tram to ticket and transportation, and take the monarail over. I am just wondering how much time I should have for transportation. Thanks!

We found it quicker to take the 'normal' route to the MK, Epcot and MGM. That is instead of turning left(west) onto 192, turn right and then take the WDW main gate entrance (2nd right I believe, but well signed anyway). It took about 15 minutes to get to the parking lot - another 10 minutes to park and get to the monorail and maybe 15 minutes to actually get to MK. We were early and parked close to the front and walked to the TTC. If you get there later, you may have to figure in more time. I would plan for at least 45 minutes to get to the turnstiles.

Have a great trip!!

I too only use Sherbeth for the AK area stuff, but World Drive for everything else.

Just had to read this thread cause we are staying in Windsor Hills in Nov! :cool1: I am very excited! Thanks for the great info on travel times.

How did you like your stay at WH?

I didn't actually time it going in to MK but we did time it coming out. I started timing while I waited for the Monorail at the MK then to shuttles and walk to car and drive to WHills. It took a good 30 min. This was around 2pm. Came back to WH for a break and then went to Epcot around 4pm for the evening. It takes longer going to Epcot. There was less traffic on Sherberth than going east to World Drive.
Also just so you'll know there is construction at the Interstate 4 intersection for 192 heading west. They were putting in a new overpass etc so I imagine it will take a while. They were sending you out on Exit 65 but instead of heading to 192 east then having to travel west until you get up to WH, when you get off at exit 65 head west for Disney and follow the directions for Animal Kingdom Lodge and take the Sherberth intersection and go out to 192.
I know this sounds complicated but it isn't once you do it. Good Luck!

Jennobrn, WH was great. It was very quiet while we were there ( Sept 22- Oct 2) I think the most people in the pool was 10 at any time we were in. The pool is very large and the zero entry makes it great for small kids. Kids were having fun on the water slide but we didn't try it. Everything was clean and new, no complaints. Have a good trip.

I timed it from Windsor Hills to the parking booths at MK. That took 12 minutes. But then you have to figure parking, tram, monorail etc. That would add another 15 minutes at least, I would imagine.

Brian Noble said:
I too only use Sherbeth for the AK area stuff, but World Drive for everything else.

I've stayed at Windsor Palms, and have looked at where Windsor Hills is, so am familiar with the area, and I'd go with the recommendation above also.

From this area, we always leave 1 hour before we want to be at MK gate. We're almost always arriving prior to opening time, and we've had to wait 15 minutes on a monorail before. So, I'd say 45 minutes would probably be the average time, but I try to allow extra time in case of a monorail delay - thus the hour recommendation.

Thanks for all the replies! Another question, can you drive directly to the hotels and park in their parking lot when having breakfast/dinner there? Also, we are eating one morning at Chef Mickey's and then going to MK for the day. Can I park in the Contemporary parking lot and then just take the monorial over to MK or do I have to move my car to the Ticket and Transportation parking lot? The last time we went we stayed on-site and took Disney transporation everywhere. This is my first time off site and just don't know about the parking and everything.

Also, I heard that if you were going to Epcot that it might be faster to park at the boardwalk and go in the back entrance to Epcot? Does anyone know about this? I am not sure if I have that right.

Thanks for all the information.

Jennobrn01 - We will be in WH in a five bedroom house from Nov. 3 - 11! Will you be there the same time?

When you arrive at the hotel for your breakfast/dinner, you'll be asked to show ID, and if you have a confirmation number for your ADR (meals reservation) :)

You'll be issued a 3 hour parking pass (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I think it's still 3 hours), to display in your vehicle's front window.

I'd just park at the TTC to start with, and take the Resort Monorail :thumbsup2

HTH!!
:sunny:

Jennobrn01 - We will be in WH in a five bedroom house from Nov. 3 - 11! Will you be there the same time?

No, we will be there the 25th of Nov through the 1st of Dec. Sorry, we will just miss you! Let me know what you think though! I am really excited about WH. Everything I have read both here and on Tour Guide Mike has been glowing.

I agree with PP, park at the TTC to eat at Chef Mickey's. We parked at the Contemporary last week and you only get a 3-hr pass....it totally screwed up our day.

I was in WH in Sept..and we went to Epcot for the day...and being forgetful.. I forgot our park tickets at home! Arrgh! So..left the family at the entrance and bolted for home...I made it in 8 minutes from the Epcot parking lot to our townhome...including the 2 lights and going through the WH guardhouse...I did catch both lights though! AK takes even less time.. MK slightly longer.

Hello!
We stay at Indian Ridge just up the road from WH for 3 months...we have found that this is the SUPER short cut using Sherberth Rd from Old Lake Wilson...all of the routes above are excellent, but we found this to be the slickest...so here goes...first time is a little challenging...second time you are a pro!!

Hop on Old Lake Wilson Road and head toward 192. Look for a left turn lane that says WESTGATE BLVD...It is hard to see the 1st time as the sign for Westgate faces North...turn onto Wesgate Blvd and go a short ways. You will come to a small round drive at the entrance to Westgate. Turn on to the circle and immediately turn right before the guard gate. You are now on ENTRY POINT ROAD. Simply go straight until you come to the stop light on 192. Stay in the middle lane and go straight across and you are now on Sherberth Road...once you hit the long straight stretch of Sherberth look to the right and you will see Everest...look straight down the road and the top of the tree that is a different color green is The Tree of Life...Wow, huh!

Take a couple of curves and come to a stop light that says Osceola Parkway...turn RIGHT and follow the signs...AKingdom will come up quickly on your left and the all the other parks will be after a left turn at the next stop light....

To exit Disney, follow the signs to Animal Kingdom. You will have to take couple of quick right turns off the main roads in Disney so stay alert for the turns...As you approach Animal Kingdom notice the big sign that direct you to stay in the left land to Animal Kingdom LODGE. It will take you back to Sherberth...Turn left...straight across 192 at the light...to the round circle drive...this time go all the way around past the guard house and turn right to WESTGATE BLVD and then right on Old Lake Wilson and you are home...

I know it sounds a little complex but after the 1st time you will be a Disney driving expert!!!

Good Luck and have a great time....

Grandpa Ted

Thanks Grandpa Ted! We are staying at Windsor Hills in 31 days! :banana: It does sound complex. I'll leave the navigating to my hubby. So, this shortcut is good for all the parks, not just AK?

Yes...that's the exact route I give guests! There's a "trick" to finding your way back to WH after the parks close...and the trick is to follow the signs for Animal Kingdom Lodge (not AK)....you will go over a hill/bridge....when you're by the AK....as soon as you go over the hill there will be a traffic light...go left. It comes up fast and isn't really well marked...but there's signs everywhere on the WDW resort to guide you to AKL...how handy!!

Here's a handy little map I made up of the shortcut route..print and take it with you! :)

Shortcut to Disney
To take the shortcut to Disney, take Old Lake Wilson Road back towards 192, but take a left on Morgan-Wilson. Take the next left onto Funie Steed. At the stop sign take a right on Entry Point/Sherbath road. Take Sherbath over 192 and continue on into Disney (you make a right cause the road ends into a guard shack though). It will only take you about 3-5 minutes to get there this way.

On the way back from Disney follow the signs for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. At the traffic lights before the lodge (it comes up fast) take a left onto Sherbath. You will also see the sign for 192.

WHshortcutdirections.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter