Short Stature

SelectTheGold

Earning My Ears
Our 9 year old daughter has a rare type of dwarfism and is only 32" tall, which means she's way too short for several rides at WDW, including Goofy's Barnstormer. This is very difficult for us, because she's so much older than most of the children who are able to ride it (and other rides). I realize the height requirements are for safety reasons, but it is heart breaking for us to see her feel so excluded when she sees toddlers going on rides she's not able to because of her size. When we were at Universal, the ride manager let her ride the children's roller coaster (can't remember the name) over and over again because they felt she'd be safe as long as my husband or I were with her to hold onto her. I don't think Disney is as lenient with their height restrictions. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this type of situation.

SelectTheGold said:
Our 9 year old daughter has a rare type of dwarfism and is only 32" tall, which means she's way too short for several rides at WDW, including Goofy's Barnstormer. This is very difficult for us, because she's so much older than most of the children who are able to ride it (and other rides). I realize the height requirements are for safety reasons, but it is heart breaking for us to see her feel so excluded when she sees toddlers going on rides she's not able to because of her size. When we were at Universal, the ride manager let her ride the children's roller coaster (can't remember the name) over and over again because they felt she'd be safe as long as my husband or I were with her to hold onto her. I don't think Disney is as lenient with their height restrictions. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this type of situation.
The height requirements are for safety reasons. Age has nothing to do with it. An adult below the height minimum could not ride either. This is something you will have to accept and get used to. It's life, unfortunately. I have been excluded from many things because of my short stature. Run out of nursing school, not allowed to join the military, refused admission to rides. You learn to deal with it.

My first thought was, no, they won't budge on the height issue, but as I thought more, there might be something you can do.

It would depend on the type of dwarfism she has.
If she has Proportionate dwarfism, the restraints are not going to fit her and they will not (and should not) bend on the rule for safety reasons. (For readers who are wondering what Proportionate dwarfism is, it is a type where the person is small, but their body has the same proportions as a person without dwarfism).

If she has achondroplasia (for readers: a genetic condition that results in disproportionately short arms and legs compared to a person without dwarfism), she may be able to ride evn though she doesn't fit the height requirements. For many rides the restraints are based more on the torso length than the height. For many of those, if she has the torso length of an average 9 year old, she should be safe riding them. It would be similar to someone with amputated legs - they would based the "safety" of the ride on their torso rather than their total body height.
It may take some research (to find out how your child's torso compares to avarge) and some phone calls (go to the WDW General Information phone number: Voice: 407-824-4321 TTY: 407-827-5141) or writing (there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of this page), but it's worth a try.

She is pretty proportionate (SEMD). We have yet to see another LP as tiny as she is. We realize the height restrictions are for safety reasons, and hopefully this bothers us more than it does her. We just don't want her feeling like she's missing out. I guess there's no way around that though, and we'll do the best we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter