Shortening the trip

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all! I am beginning to look into the idea of an April 2004 WDW trip. In 2001 we went for 10 days, in 2002 we went for 11 days. Both times we had the CDN Special 7 day HP and used all 7 days. We would like a more relaxed trip next time. We are thinking of upgrading to deluxe resorts from the mods and spending more time at the resort and less time at the parks. We would likely do 4 park days. Thing is, I still feel like a homebody and feel 10 or 11 days away from home is too long. So I am looking at 7 nights (8 days). We would like to spend our first night at the beach (driving from MCO to Daytona Beach). We did this in 2001 and it was awesome! We got a nice little hotel on the ocean with a kitchen and a great balcony. We woke up and watched the sunrise! We were at WDW by 1pm that day and went to MK to see the 3pm parade. It was very cool! Because we had 7 day HP that had to be used up, we spent all our time in the parks. We enjoyed that, but we wished we could have done more at the resort. STILL HAVE NOT RENTED A BOAT OR SURREY BIKE! So now I am thinking one week will do us, but I fear that we will rush thru the parks. What do you think? I was hoping to do Sea World this trip, but I don't think there is time. Here is a plan in the works.

Day 1: fly to MCO, drive to Daytona Beach, play and swim!
Day 2: Watch the sunrise, drive to Swan (or BC if good rate) arrive about 3pm ~ swim, have dinner, try to see Illuminations fireworks from the boardwalk.
Day 3: Walk to Epcot for Princess Breakfast ~ take monorail to MK ~ rest mid-day ~ Epcot for dinner and Illuminations.
Day 4: AK in the morning ~ MGM and Fantasmic at night
Day 5: move to the Poly and rest, swim, maybe TL
Day 6: early morning at MK ~ MGM or Epcot at night
Day 7: early morning at MK ~ MK for our last night
Day 8: depart

Now the thing the blows with this plan is NO real rest time or time at the resort! I could skip Day 6's play and save the ticket for the next trip? I could add a day or two to the trip, but then I fear I might get home sick.

What the heck should I do? S

Hi Sandra:

We have done 7 days, and to me it was not enough of a fix for me. Especially if you are staying at a resort as lovely as the polynesian. You sure do want to spend some down time there exploring, time at the pool, there is a walking path to the grand fl.

We love sitting on the beach and watching the resort boats, monorail, and mouse boats racing around the lake. Just strolling around the resort, it just gives you a nice tropical atmosphere.
It is so beautiful you do need some resort time. The deluxes are so expensive for canadians, spend some time to enjoy the resort.

Just my opinion and the poly is my fav resort.

Deb.

I have to agree with Deb, a week is just not enough. I like to go in and out of the parks too, maybe take a side trip to another park, go shopping, resort hop, see my favourite things in the parks more than once and before I know it, it's time to go home. For me, I think a minimum of 10 days would give me some time to enjoy my resort(s) as well as fit in all the rest. I'm hoping I can do that next time.

Ok, so this past trip was basically a shopping trip, and to relax! I had old hoppers with one day at the parks and 2 extras left. Had the Universal tickets with us but never used them.

The four days flew by! There was barely any time to relax! We did manage to spend time at the resort but would have liked more time. But I'll get into that later.

Sandra, if you guys are flying in, skip Daytona and stay at the Resort instead. It's too beautiful there at WDW to skip any days! If you can manage it, do it. Don't forget 2 days are basically travel days, which leaves you 5 days. You'll enjoy it more if you spend more days there!

After this trip have decided no more short jaunts to WDW, it's minimum 7 days or nothing! We are going to save the short jaunts for other places.

m2cw!

Scratch

Trying a mixed WDW/Orlando and at-the-beach trip? We always like to end our WDW vacations with at least a few days (or a week, even better) at either east or west coast Florida. We found the seven day hopper passes to be too much for our family (used them twice in the past)- we felt obligated to use every last day of our passes. Because we were at the parks so much, we didn't get to relax as much at our resort, and the theming and feel of the on-site resorts is best experienced by lots of relaxation time, imho.

For our next trip - this coming December - we're going to buy four or five day hopper passes, will stay on site for 6-7 days, and then spend a week at resort in Naples, before coming home.

Julie's idea of 10 days is perfect. We did that this past april and it just felt like enough.

Our first trip was 7 days at wdw, not enough, next one was 8 days, still not long enough to enjoy parks and resort time and shopping time. So we try to do the 10, and it just feels right.

I guess it depends upon how much time you have for holidays as well. I don't like to rush my trip, I have to savour it all.

Deb.

I would add a couple of days to the trip, if you can. We went for 9 days Sept 2001 - the first 7 were at ASMu, and then 2 nights at AKL. Our plan was to do all of the park stuff before AKL so we could just enjoy the resort. Being die-hard "park people", we found it wasn't enough time, and used a good part of one of our days at AKL "finishing up attractions". If you're going to the Poly, you only want to be enjoying the resort while you are there. :D

Mary Liz

I'm also a homebody, but I have honestly never gotten homesick at WDW. Or the cruise. I think you should add a few days. You say that you want some down time at the resorts, and yet don't want to cheat yourself of the parks. The only thing to do, is to add some days. We go for 11 days, and find that we are rushed. If your only concern is that you'll be homesick, I can't believe that that'll happen. It's WDW!!! The Poly!!! It's just not possible to get homesick in these places. :)

Sandie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter