Should I Be Bothered By My Expiration Date

Bjaiken77

DIS Veteran
I know people are good at cheap DVC therapy in this group, so I’m going to present my latest concern, which is my expiration date at SSR - 2054. That’s still 30 years!!! However, we also own at VGF (2064) and Riviera (2070). My wife and I are in our late 30s and middle 40s. The expiration date of the latter two resorts line up with how long we’d like to do DVC (god willing).

Long lead up to my two concerns:

1. Based on our age, I’d like to back up the expiration date by selling SSR and buying either POLY, CCV, or more VGF.

2. If we ever decide to sell, I’d like to have the expiration date pushed back so that a potential buyer has as much possible time left (theoretically increasing our return). Example: 2054 trades for 2066 expiration.

We aren’t the best planners, so SSR works great for sleep around points. Also, we like SSR. However, we prefer VGF, POLY, and CCV, and I really like having ALL expiration dates within a 6 year window.

Am I just being crazy, or is this something you all think about? I’m thinking about selling SSR (225 points) and buying at one of the resorts mentioned (probably 150 points). Kick in a little money and it’s pretty much a trade.

What say you??? I need to calm the OCD haha.

I am going to follow this because I am 66 and own SSR. I am looking for a second contract (BLT) but thinking a second SSR contract might make more sense to keep our expiration date the same.

It wouldn’t bother me at all. I’m early 40’s, and I think 30 years expiration is a good amount of time (and I will probably be quite happy to lose the dues on 420 SSR points by the time I’m in my 70s… if I haven’t run out of cash or died by then)

That said, I do have CCV and PVB as well just in case I’m still going strong!

If you enjoy SSR I would keep hold of those points for now.

I completely understand thinking about this. We certainly have! We have staggered dates 2042, 2054, 2057 and 2070. Our plan is a plan, things happen.

I wouldn’t trade out 225 for 150, maybe just add 100 at CCV? if you want to go to Disney well into your later years, why would you give up opportunities to go longer now?

I don’t know. I own CCV and RIV, both having more than 40 years left. I’m almost turning 40, I’m healthy and fit and I don’t even know if I’ll have the energy to go to WDW by the expiration of my contracts.

30 years is still a lot of time and I’d be perfectly fine with those contracts.

Don't worry about it
You'll buy at at least two more resorts that haven't been built yet.
Haha. I wouldn’t rule it out, but the resale restrictions have put a bit of a damper on buying new resorts on resale. Also, somewhere between 2060-2070, based on our age, is a good expiration date. We like the original resorts, and buying as late as CCV allows a resale contract to access all of those.

I guess another bit of information is that my SSR is resale whereas VGF and RIV are direct. So it would be selling SSR resale and buying an original (ie pre RIV) resale so that I can use it at all original resorts.

I’m with the other replies. You are so concerned about losing 225 points between the years 2054 to 2066 that you are willing to lose 75 points per year NOW (trading for 150 points at a different resort) and every year for the next 30 years. Doesn’t seem like a great trade to me.
I mean, that’s really no different than someone buying 150 points at, say, POLY versus 225 points at SSR, right? You’re considering cost and expiration date and perhaps making a choice for less points at a preferred resort based on budget. I get that I’d have to pay the fees and sales commission, but a couple thousand dollars isn’t super important. We’ve already got some good use out of those SSR points. They don’t owe us anything.

Really, the new POLY tower is what got me thinking about this. If they are in the same association, then I’d just trade for resale at POLY. Better resort (IMO), better expiration. Worse upfront cost and worse point chart is the negative.

Haha. I wouldn’t rule it out, but the resale restrictions have put a bit of a damper on buying new resorts on resale. Also, somewhere between 2060-2070, based on our age, is a good expiration date. We like the original resorts, and buying as late as CCV allows a resale contract to access all of those.

I guess another bit of information is that my SSR is resale whereas VGF and RIV are direct. So it would be selling SSR resale and buying an original (ie pre RIV) resale so that I can use it at all original resorts.
That is what the restrictions were intended to do.
personally, based on what you said, I think you need to pick a resort and have add-on-itis there

That is what the restrictions were intended to do.
personally, based on what you said, I think you need to pick a resort and have add-on-itis there
The good thing about SSR and sleep around points is we enjoy all the DVC resorts. A few have a higher ceiling, but all have a super high floor to us. We’ve been happy everywhere we’ve stayed.

That said, we do mix it up with stays at our home resorts because we like them, too. That’s especially true of VGF and RIV (although we loved our one stay at SSR). 2060-2070 is perfect for us based on our age, no resale restriction, and the fact that we don’t have any kids. It’s not like we feel good about kids inheriting a resort with a later expiration date. I’d be lucky to make the 2070 expiration at RIV.

I mean, that’s really no different than someone buying 150 points at, say, POLY versus 225 points at SSR, right? You’re considering cost and expiration date and perhaps making a choice for less points at a preferred resort based on budget. I get that I’d have to pay the fees and sales commission, but a couple thousand dollars isn’t super important. We’ve already got some good use out of those SSR points. They don’t owe us anything.

Really, the new POLY tower is what got me thinking about this. If they are in the same association, then I’d just trade for resale at POLY. Better resort (IMO), better expiration. Worse upfront cost and worse point chart is the negative.
If it is actually the same association your resale SSR SAP will work just fine at the Poly.

SSR is the first to expire after the 42 properties so after 2042, you will be able to stay at SSR, OKW, AKL, BLT, AUL, VGF, PVB and CCV.
If you traded them in for PVB you would be able to stay in those same resorts but you would lose them one by one until only PVB and CCV are left.

You also mentioned your not big planners so while the 11 month window at PVB would be nice it doesn't sound like it is worth the cost to you.

Keep the extra points and get as much use out of them as you can.
That is unless they run a firesale for the new poly tower like they did for VGF. If that happens I would certainly trade in!! :)

If it is actually the same association your resale SSR SAP will work just fine at the Poly.

SSR is the first to expire after the 42 properties so after 2042, you will be able to stay at SSR, OKW, AKL, BLT, AUL, VGF, PVB and CCV.
If you traded them in for PVB you would be able to stay in those same resorts but you would lose them one by one until only PVB and CCV are left.

You also mentioned your not big planners so while the 11 month window at PVB would be nice it doesn't sound like it is worth the cost to you.

Keep the extra points and get as much use out of them as you can.
That is unless they run a firesale for the new poly tower like they did for VGF. If that happens I would certainly trade in!! :)
Thanks. Yeah, that’s the thing. It’s a trade off. Originally, I was considering buying back at all times as not to let the initial capital investment ever expire. Resale restrictions put an end to that idea (as they were intended to do).

Predicting the future is a tough thing to do. We may move to Orlando in retirement. Then again, Orlando may be underwater, or I may get hit by a truck tomorrow. You just never know.

The good thing about SSR and sleep around points is we enjoy all the DVC resorts. A few have a higher ceiling, but all have a super high floor to us. We’ve been happy everywhere we’ve stayed.

That said, we do mix it up with stays at our home resorts because we like them, too. That’s especially true of VGF and RIV (although we loved our one stay at SSR). 2060-2070 is perfect for us based on our age, no resale restriction, and the fact that we don’t have any kids. It’s not like we feel good about kids inheriting a resort with a later expiration date. I’d be lucky to make the 2070 expiration at RIV.
I love the RIV, actually the whole family does,
My son will end up with it, because I'll be 97 when it expires.
SSR and BLT I hope to close on my own, if not oh well

personally, all of my points and my wife's points are direct, so I don't feel your pain. Sorry...

I have looked at adding resale at BLT and RIV because the brainiacs on the board think both of these resorts will be at or around 100/point soon. At that price I have no issue being restricted

good luck, but personally i would come up with a plan before moving forward

I have looked at adding resale at BLT and RIV because the brainiacs on the board think both of these resorts will be at or around 100/point soon. At that price I have no issue being restricted
Count me in on both accounts.

BLT I could use at a few resorts although we love the 1 bedrooms.
We also would be fine if we were "stuck" at RIV. At those prices I might be able to get a grand villa (Without borrowing) which my family thinks is nicer than VGF although I'm in VGF camp on that one.

I love the RIV, actually the whole family does,
My son will end up with it, because I'll be 97 when it expires.
SSR and BLT I hope to close on my own, if not oh well

personally, all of my points and my wife's points are direct, so I don't feel your pain. Sorry...

good luck, but personally i would come up with a plan before moving forward
Yeah, it’d have to be that low before I’d consider it, and if so, I’d certainly do it. Between banking and borrowing, it shouldn’t be a problem for me to spend them. We are also pretty flexible in the time of year we visit.

We love RIV too. When buying in at the $180s/point, it’s hard to accept the restrictions at anywhere close to that level (as in, I need a big price reduction) and not feel unsatisfied. Not sure if it’ll ever happen. I’m originally from Orange County, so I also wouldn’t mind DLT at close to $100/point.

Count me in on both accounts.

BLT I could use at a few resorts although we love the 1 bedrooms.
We also would be fine if we were "stuck" at RIV. At those prices I might be able to get a grand villa (Without borrowing) which my family thinks is nicer than VGF although I'm in VGF camp on that one.
I was being someone sarcastic. I have pledged to buy like 1000 points if the price ever hits 1000 a point at either....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter