Should I keep my reservation for June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't cancelled my Memorial Day trip yet, but I know the odds are very strong that I will have to. I'll probably wait another 3-4 weeks and then cancel it. I have a back up booked for November just in case. Looks like we will be using that one.

I honestly would only consider April trips in serious question at this point.

While June is still up in the air (although it looks less and less likely to be open every day), I think it is definitely fair to say that May trips are in serious question. On March 15 the CDC recommended no large gatherings for 8 weeks. That would take us to mid May. Mid May is the absolute soonest there is any chance WDW and Disneyland could reopen. I imagine they will be closed even longer, but it's too early to tell how much longer at this point in time. Many states are on lockdown, including mine. Only essential businesses are open, we have an 8pm curfew every night, and we are ordered to stay at home besides getting groceries or medical attention. We'll see how these social distancing measures flatten the curve. If we get to the peak and the hospitals aren't overwhelmed, we may start to see some restrictions being lifted. The peak is about 3 weeks away in the NY metro area, so I'm hoping we have a better idea what the future will look like by mid April.

While June is still up in the air (although it looks less and less likely to be open every day), I think it is definitely fair to say that May trips are in serious question. On March 15 the CDC recommended no large gatherings for 8 weeks. That would take us to mid May. Mid May is the absolute soonest there is any chance WDW and Disneyland could reopen. I imagine they will be closed even longer, but it's too early to tell how much longer at this point in time. Many states are on lockdown, including mine. Only essential businesses are open, we have an 8pm curfew every night, and we are ordered to stay at home besides getting groceries or medical attention. We'll see how these social distancing measures flatten the curve. If we get to the peak and the hospitals aren't overwhelmed, we may start to see some restrictions being lifted. The peak is about 3 weeks away in the NY metro area, so I'm hoping we have a better idea what the future will look like by mid April.

I am very well aware of the state and local requirements as well as the federal guidelines. My state was one of the first to go essential-business only and my job requires me to advise others on this. I say April is the only month I would count on as being "in question" because the state and county requirements currently extend into April, not May (at least that I am aware of in Florida, but I know other states have extended into May). While I understand the CDC requirements/guidelines extend into May, those are NOT legal requirements and Disney can technically chose to open against CDC recommendation. I personally don’t think that is a good idea, but Disney might be in such a financial position that they may feel it necessary. Many restaurants, bars, and even some amusement parks, did not close until required by the state or local governments required it. So the CDC requirements, which people should take seriously when making their personal choice to go anywhere, will not be the only thing companies take into consideration when deciding to reopen.

Sorry - not trying to start an argument I just want to make sure people understand their trips are not “out of the question” just yet. I personally would not go in May, but people will have their own choice to make once Disney makes it’s decision.

Last edited:
***My response to the other June thread:

Still sticking with June 20-27. I mean, cancelling now wouldn’t do us any good anyway. We have to do a lot of rescheduling to make a different trip work so we have time :confused3 I’m going to keep my reservations and do my Fastpasses when the day comes... Time will tell. I’ve come to terms with it, good or bad. I’m expecting the worst, this way I can be pleasantly surprised if it does happen, instead of disappointed when it doesn’t.

***My response to the other June thread:

Still sticking with June 20-27. I mean, cancelling now wouldn’t do us any good anyway. We have to do a lot of rescheduling to make a different trip work so we have time :confused3 I’m going to keep my reservations and do my Fastpasses when the day comes... Time will tell. I’ve come to terms with it, good or bad. I’m expecting the worst, this way I can be pleasantly surprised if it does happen, instead of disappointed when it doesn’t.
I agree.

Plus, I can’t really go in July or August if I want to get the ADRs that we will want. I can’t go in the fall or winter, so the soonest would be April 2021.

All I can do is hope for the best and expect the worst.

June is two (+ if you are going later on in the month) months away, we are at a day by day, week by week, kind of situation right now, which is why it is "until further notice". I honestly would only consider April trips in serious question at this point.

Honestly. Even if they opened in April, would anyone really want to be there that soon? There is no way this situation is getting better in a few weeks.

I’m not a Doom and gloom type person but frankly, I’m worried about our August trip. With the virus situation plus all the construction I’m wondering if we shouldn’t just cancel.

I would love it if they would allow you to move your current package to next year rather than canceling. If they would do that I’d cancel now, lol.

Thanks. If I want to get fastpasses, I need to purchase my park tickets by 4/10. I only have the rooms reserved right now. I'm retiring from teaching. With the school closures, this is such an odd way to end my career.

If you haven't bought tickets yet, I'd cancel and see where things stand in a few months before rebooking...

Honestly. Even if they opened in April, would anyone really want to be there that soon? There is no way this situation is getting better in a few weeks.

I’m not a Doom and gloom type person but frankly, I’m worried about our August trip. With the virus situation plus all the construction I’m wondering if we shouldn’t just cancel.

I would love it if they would allow you to move your current package to next year rather than canceling. If they would do that I’d cancel now, lol.

Personally, June is my bachelorette trip and August is my honeymoon, both at WDW. I personally will still plan on going to both if possible, but that is a personal choice because these are both very important life events for me and are supposed to be once in a lifetime. So if the state/county allows WDW to be open and I take the best precautions I can, then I will go. There are others that are also in the same position as me, some with weddings to occur at WDW, while others are celebrating retirement, graduation, etc. Some cannot reschedule easily, if at all, so it is go in April/May/June or bust. Every situation is different. Some areas will still be really bad, some will be recovering, and some will just be starting to see the effects of Coronavirus over the next few months, no one knows how this will develop. This is entirely unprecedented and is constantly changing. I just think everyone needs to see how this develops before cancelling something that is beyond what the federal, state, and local governments are advising. What is most important is to make the right decision for the WDW cast members, as they are the only ones without a choice in this situation. So I will go if WDW is open, but I will obviously understand if it remains closed (but I hope not because if it is we are going to have more problems than just WDW trips...).

But I understand if others do not want to go, especially if the trip is not associated with a large life event. Each person will have different situations and things to take into consideration, but there will be people that rescheduling or cancelling is just not an option and may actually want to go in April (if in fact WDW is actually open, which I think is doubtful).

Personally, June is my bachelorette trip and August is my honeymoon, both at WDW. I personally will still plan on going to both if possible, but that is a personal choice because these are both very important life events for me and are supposed to be once in a lifetime. So if the state/county allows WDW to be open and I take the best precautions I can, then I will go. There are others that are also in the same position as me, some with weddings to occur at WDW, while others are celebrating retirement, graduation, etc. Some cannot reschedule easily, if at all, so it is go in April/May/June or bust. Every situation is different. Some areas will still be really bad, some will be recovering, and some will just be starting to see the effects of Coronavirus over the next few months, no one knows how this will develop. This is entirely unprecedented and is constantly changing. I just think everyone needs to see how this develops before cancelling something that is beyond what the federal, state, and local governments are advising. What is most important is to make the right decision for the WDW cast members, as they are the only ones without a choice in this situation. So I will go if WDW is open, but I will obviously understand if it remains closed (but I hope not because if it is we are going to have more problems than just WDW trips...).

But I understand if others do not want to go, especially if the trip is not associated with a large life event. Each person will have different situations and things to take into consideration, but there will be people that rescheduling or cancelling is just not an option and may actually want to go in April (if in fact WDW is actually open, which I think is doubtful).
Like your comment.. regarding trips we will have options.. but cast members don’t .. so they should be priority..

Chiming in as we are scheduled 6/7-6/14. We have a heavily discounted room only res and non-refundable air booked to date. Our FP+ date is 4/8, so I've been putting off buying passes until the last Amen. Our biggest dilemma is with the guests we are taking on this trip. It's our DD's 16th bday trip so we are taking her boyfriend (for all intents and purposes, this is his first trip and his high school graduation), our niece (her high school graduation) and our nephew (in college) to celebrate. The first hitch is not having any idea what school will bring for the 3 still in high school (our nephew is at PSU, but they've transitioned to online for the remainder of the semester) and especially with regard to graduation for the 2 seniors. The second hitch is not having much availability (and maybe none at all) to work with to reschedule for everyone later in the summer due to other planned trips, jobs, etc. DH, DD and myself will still go one way or another this summer or fall. I did buy insurance on the air that would give us 75% back of our 3 guests' airline tickets and I can do the same for their park tickets, but losing 25% of those things is still a good chunk of money. I saw the previous suggestion of switching to a package for more flexibility, but it would cost me almost $1K more overall to do so because of the discounts I have had booked forever now. It just feels like such a pickle. Go figure that this is a "special" trip versus our usual visit. Our DD has deemed it a Lion King themed trip and we've got multiple group t-shirt sets, the LK Suite at AOA, all the ADR's the kids chose, etc. and I'm just racking my brain to not only tackle plan A wisely going forward, but to come up with a plan B that includes as much of plan A for everyone as possible. The 2 seniors are dealing with potentially losing the remainder of their senior years and all that entails, but keep saying they can at least look forward to Disney. Ugh. I realize we're one of many many in our struggles and disappointments and am incredibly grateful to even have such a "problem" since it's so very first world given the reality of things right now. So, OP...I guess I've just explained all of that to say that I'm hanging in there until I can't justify doing so anymore. I'd at least like to see when Disney extends the closure through. The whole rumor of phased openings will make a difference too, but if things are seemingly under control, the country is up and running and Disney is open in full, then we'll go as scheduled. If things remain too uncertain as we approach the 30 day mark, then I will do my very best to push back to later this summer.

I would call WDW reservations, ask to speak with a CM in Guest Services and ask them if you could please add tickets and retain the discount you currently have on the room. They may say no, but it’s worth a shot. I don’t think insurance will cover your tickets as they retain their value and can be used toward a future ticket purchase.

I'm so sorry that this pandemic is coinciding with your wedding. Even if you have to give up your bachelorette trip, which would be terrible, perhaps your honeymoon trip would be a go. I really hope so.

My DD is planning on a Disney World wedding some day. I thank God that it isn't planned for this year. She and I are both asthmatic. I'm worse off because I can't even get a cold without it turning into pneumonia half of the time. My husband has heart stuff to deal with. We cannot catch this thing. We would be among the scariest statistics.

I am sending you good vibes that everything works out well for you, and you and yours remain healthy and safe.

I'm pretty much in the mindset of not cancelling until necessary. I've got a trip scheduled in mid May; my thinking is that there's a very high likelihood that I'll cancel it, but I haven't pulled the plug yet. I haven't bought tickets yet, although my FP+ window opens in a couple weeks, hotel and car rental can easily be cancelled with no penalty and the airline will let me defer for up to a year. I'll see at least what the next couple weeks bring and really can decide until about the first of May. That's still a month away...

I'm pretty much in the mindset of not cancelling until necessary. I've got a trip scheduled in mid May; my thinking is that there's a very high likelihood that I'll cancel it, but I haven't pulled the plug yet. I haven't bought tickets yet, although my FP+ window opens in a couple weeks, hotel and car rental can easily be cancelled with no penalty and the airline will let me defer for up to a year. I'll see at least what the next couple weeks bring and really can decide until about the first of May. That's still a month away...
Exactly how I feel about my July trip! I am hoping if I can't make July then it will be okay by October and December as we have a DL trip and this WDW to reschedule.

I canceled our June trip. I am looking at the fall now. But ours wasn't pegged to a certain date.

ugh - Im having ALL of these thoughts running through my brain right now! Our June trip is DS's HS graduation trip and since school, and his actual graduation might be canceled at this point, I'd like to keep our trip June 13-20th..We're using 200 previously banked points and they expire for good Aug. 31st along with 150 points that can still be banked. The 200 pts would need to go to RCI by mid-July if we can't make the June trip. Our next set of dates to go would be around Christmas but since I will have fewer points available (we already have another trip booked for Feb) we'd have to have a shorter trip.

AND I have tickets already purchased for June and a Villians After Hour event too...o_Oo_O

I keep trying to panic and look at moving our trip but I really don't want to move it so I'm taking a breath, and just leaving things the way they are for the June trip....

So for now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and staying home to do my part to try to keep this virus from spreading...:headache::headache:

ugh - Im having ALL of these thoughts running through my brain right now! Our June trip is DS's HS graduation trip and since school, and his actual graduation might be canceled at this point, I'd like to keep our trip June 13-20th..We're using 200 previously banked points and they expire for good Aug. 31st along with 150 points that can still be banked. The 200 pts would need to go to RCI by mid-July if we can't make the June trip. Our next set of dates to go would be around Christmas but since I will have fewer points available (we already have another trip booked for Feb) we'd have to have a shorter trip.

AND I have tickets already purchased for June and a Villians After Hour event too...o_Oo_O

I keep trying to panic and look at moving our trip but I really don't want to move it so I'm taking a breath, and just leaving things the way they are for the June trip....

So for now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and staying home to do my part to try to keep this virus from spreading...:headache::headache:
Sending pixie dust your way! We are planners and it’s hard to plan for uncertainty. Stay positive!!

We are in the same boat. Our original trip was for this week to celebrate our twin DD’s HS graduation early. Rescheduled that trip for the second week in June 2 weeks ago during the first closure. Now graduation and prom are probably not happening and I hate for them to lose their trip too. We are holding on to see what happens. I was tempted to rebook for later in the summer but can’t find dates that will work for us, So if they are still closed in June I will cancel the trip and consider booking one in 2021. Our March trip was paid in full so we just transferred the money to the new trip. If it hadn’t already been paid for I probably wouldn’t book a new one given the current economic situation.

We too are doing our part and staying at home to try to stop the spread. Unfortunately the neighborhood kids continue to play in large groups despite our state’s stay at home order. This is why it continues to spread😡

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter