Should I participate in FE or is it just drama?

D'oh! I totally missed this connection until I read this. I wholeheartedly agree. If the OP can't afford to tip their waitstaff, then they can't afford to do a FE group.

ETA: Poster has participated in just 3 threads. All hers/his. Two on their not wanting to pay the standard daily gratuities and a third on the "drama" of FE groups. Me thinks the OP is motivated by drama.

When I think "drama" I think Days of Our Lives. The FE Facebook Group rivals that, but not my threads. I was asking questions, not trying to "create drama". Methinks you are doing some of that yourself... this thread is about whether or not to participate in FE, yet you are bringing up tipping...

Unless you can't read or got lost on the way to a different thread.

When I think "drama" I think Days of Our Lives. The FE Facebook Group rivals that, but not my threads. I was asking questions, not trying to "create drama". Methinks you are doing some of that yourself... this thread is about whether or not to participate in FE, yet you are bringing up tipping...

Unless you can't read or got lost on the way to a different thread.

:rotfl2:I can read just fine. Thank you.

I'm thinking of making scrap booking boards for my group. I already have a majority of the things that I would need and really I would just need Disney scrapbook paper to amp it up, that way I could get a theme going. I figure I could package them and it would be great for the girls ages 6-14. Not sure if older would like it or not. I'm great with shopping for kids, but awful when buying for adults. I left that awful FB group (Thank God) but I did like seeing the ideas on there. Now I'm just looking around on Pinterest for some possible ideas.

I was asking questions, not trying to "create drama".
When you started your second thread regarding tipping "As was discussed in a previous thread, my family and I do not plan on tipping on our upcoming cruise. I explained that we are paying so much for the cruise that it's tough to justify that additional cost." it certainly sounds like you know you're going to create "drama".

And you got it, as evidenced by the mods closing down both previous threads because people were getting passionate about you not tipping.

One question - have you ever worked in a service job?

When you started your second thread regarding tipping "As was discussed in a previous thread, my family and I do not plan on tipping on our upcoming cruise. I explained that we are paying so much for the cruise that it's tough to justify that additional cost." it certainly sounds like you know you're going to create "drama".

And you got it, as evidenced by the mods closing down both previous threads because people were getting passionate about you not tipping.

One question - have you ever worked in a service job?

No, I haven't. I don't plan on it either. Not because it's beneath me, but because I have a career I enjoy and I would never want to depend on the kindness of others to tip me and level out my wage. But that's just me.

If you want to discuss this further, feel free to message me but this thread needs to stay on topic... tipping or whether not I have a customer service job is not on topic.

i don't even think you need to work in a service job to understand why to tip. I had a 15 year career in medical publishing, I never waited tables once or folded clothes at the GAP. I however have common sense and know that our service oriented positions/jobs/careers (yes, you can be a professional waitstaff member) are not paid to compensate their work. I have empathy for others. Not everyone can have a "career".

i don't even think you need to work in a service job to understand why to tip. I had a 15 year career in medical publishing, I never waited tables once or folded clothes at the GAP. I however have common sense and know that our service oriented positions/jobs/careers (yes, you can be a professional waitstaff member) are not paid to compensate their work. I have empathy for others. Not everyone can have a "career".

This is not a tipping thread. It's a thread about Fish Extender, which is a gift exchange. I think you are in the wrong place.

I should be an honorary moderator, lol.

We always do FE on our cruises, because it is one of the ways I get my steps in while on the boat - as funny as that is. Plus, we get great homemade souvenirs, some of which I still use to this day after two years of cruise.

You know what would make cool FE gifts? Trolls! (tiny figurines maybe)
Everyone loves a good troll, they are quite popular these days.

:bored:

I'm a troll for asking a question and then asking posters to be mature and to kindly stop derailing my thread? Seriously?! :stir: Well in that case, that's me I guess...

We always do FE on our cruises, because it is one of the ways I get my steps in while on the boat - as funny as that is. Plus, we get great homemade souvenirs, some of which I still use to this day after two years of cruise.

Oh gosh, lol. That's what everyone in my group says! But apparently dropping off the gifts is a big part of the fun.

I really am leaning toward the whole homemade thing! I can crochet and knit, so I might could do something within that realm. I'm honestly not that creative so this should be... interesting lol.

Oh gosh, lol. That's what everyone in my group says! But apparently dropping off the gifts is a big part of the fun.

I really am leaning toward the whole homemade thing! I can crochet and knit, so I might could do something within that realm. I'm honestly not that creative so this should be... interesting lol.

It's great! I still use magnets, headphones, and love picture frames I've received. That would be awesome something crocheted! Maybe do stockings?

I responded to this post earlier before I realized who the OP was. So I will amend my answer.

While we do not participate in FE's, if we did, I would feel extremely uncomfortable accepting any type of gift from someone that knowingly, willingly (and yes) defiantly was stiffing the hard working crew that make our vacations so incredible. The simple fact that they chose spending their money giving random stuff to fellow passengers who may or may not even want it vs compensating the crew is wrong on so many levels that it would ruin the whole spirit of the exchange for me.

I responded to this post earlier before I realized who the OP was. So I will amend my answer.

While we do not participate in FE's, if we did, I would feel extremely uncomfortable accepting any type of gift from someone that knowingly, willingly (and yes) defiantly was stiffing the hard working crew that make our vacations so incredible. The simple fact that they chose spending their money giving random stuff to fellow passengers who may or may not even want it vs compensating the crew is wrong on so many levels that it would ruin the whole spirit of the exchange for me.
This is what I was thinking. Maybe they should ask their FE group if it is seen as ok to forego tipping in order to exchange tokens with fellow vacationers.

Of all of our 13 cruises we have not done one FE. It is just not of interest to me or the kids. Perhaps I would have sucked it up when they were younger and participated then. My idea of a vacation is not in delivering gifts (handmade or store bought) to people who may or may not appreciate them. I will not spend my time running around a ship to leave things for strangers who may or may not think the gifts are acceptable to their lofty standards. :)

I do, however, participate in Pixie dusting randomly. There is no pressure...you give without expectation of getting something in return and it makes me happy. :)

This is the most fun I have had in a while... :rotfl: I can honestly say I was not trolling and didn't realize tipping was such a hot button issue here. I was recommended this board by another website, with a warning that there were some... interesting characters on here. This place's reputation definitely precedes itself :rotfl2:

I won't be responding to anymore off topic posts. Thank you to those who have been nice and helpful, and keep the suggestions coming :) It is much appreciated! I'm excited for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter