Should we postpone our trip to Toronto

crazyforpooh

<font color=FF6600>Proud American who loves her li
in July due to SARS?

I was really looking forward to our Ontario trip I am planning but, now DH is concerned about the SARS warning in Toronto. We had plans for the Zoo and Canada's Wonderland Park.

What do you suggest since you all live up there.

Is it rea or just a scare tactic?

Thanks,

Laura

Since July is a few months away, I wouldn't make any decisions just yet. Wait and see what happens over the next month or so.

A few FACTS for you, that may help you realize that it's not NEARLY as bad here, as the media is making it out to be...

Of course - by July this could change, but as of now:

• Canada: 140 ACTUAL SARS cases reported. 16 dead.

• ALL the people who died had a previous chronic illness.

• Average age of those dead? 75

• ALL the people who have died were in DIRECT contact with the original infected family (ie: vomited on)

Most importantly? So far, 117 people have been discharged from hospitals in Ontario....but as mentioned earlier - you NEVER hear about that..."good news" doesnt sell newspapers...:(

I hope that helps!!!

The news is saying that all of the SARS cases in Toronto can be traced back to the original case (someone who had been in China). SARS isn't in the general population at this point. There is no evidence of casual transmission - the health care professionals seem to be most at risk. There are about 5 million people in the Toronto area, so the chance of getting SARS is minimal.
At this point in time, I am not worried. We live about an hour away from Toronto, and my teenaged son is going to Canada's Wonderland with the school next week. He will be allowed to go. I don't think you really need to worry, but you have to do what is best for your family. I agree with PoohBWV that you should keep tabs on what is happening here. As time passes, you should be able to make a decision based on what makes you comfortable.:D

Crazyforpooh

I realize you only have our word to go on but I feel extremely confident in telling you that Toronto is as safe as any other place in North America.

I would like to recommend an article to you at www.cmaj.ca called Prudence not Panic. It is completely about Toronto's experience with SARS and I am sure will put DH's fears at ease. The model is evidenced based decision making as opposed to hysterical decision making.

Just one other note. The economic fallout that Toronto is feeling because of the WHO will start to approach the level of New York City in the winter of 2001/02. Many people put their fears aside and went to NYC to support the businesses there. I hope people will do the same for TO.

And on top of that, no SARS fear is going to stop me from taking my son to see his idle SpongeBob at Wonderland this summer...we are really looking forward to it.

Take care and we hope you visit

COME ON UP AND ENJOY YOUR VACATION! If it's not SARS, it will be something else. S

reassurance. We actually talked more about over dinner this evening and I am going ahead with our plans. I Love going to Canada for vacation. My mom is from Newfoundland I think it is beautiful there.

Looking forward to visiting in Ontario. We are staying in the Barrie area so, I'm sure we'll find lots of beautiful sites to see and the teenagers are looking forward to the Toronto Zoo and Wonderland Park. In fact I can't wait to go to the Zoo. I just love zoos.

Are there any public gardens you could recommend also. I am an avid gardener at home here

Thanks for all the input on SARS.

I have read all your replies with great interest, as we are planning a trip at the begining of August, and the Foreign Office here in the UK are advising people not to travel to Toronto AT THE MOMENT, we are not cancelling for the time being but will keep a close eye on events and on advice and information, we have to pay the balance for our flights by the 5th June, so will have to comit ourselves one way or the other by then or loose some of our money about 650 CAD, I have waited such a long time to return to Toronto (some 20 + years) that I really don't want to cancel, I certainly wouldn't even entertain it if it was just DH and me, but with the two children its different, anyway we will wait and see and pray that things improve.

snookhams - I believe that the SARS thing spread everywhere because nobody knew it was even happening as China was hiding people that had it; now everyone knows what it is and China has agreed to provide truthful information...

It is ONLY spreading from the first people that had it within close contacts - and unfortunately more of those people will still die...

Keep in mind:

• The World Health Organization (WHO) made it's *recommendation* to not travel to Toronto; based on information from 10 days ago.

• There has been NO new cases of SARS reported in Toronto in 7 days!!! :D

• There are only 140 actual cases of SARS in Toronto; over 100 have been discharged from hospitals

I for one believe that the worse of this disease is over...now that the entire world is aware of it. The numbers of cases are deteriorating everywhere.

I believe by August – all will be MUCH better!

I too live an hour away from Toronto and am not worried about SARS.

You asked about gardens and such, in Oshawa there is Parkwood Estates, home of Colonel Sam McLaughlin founder of General Motors. http://www.parkwoodestate.com/ In the summer the grounds are absolutely beautiful! The home has been features on A&E's Canadian Castles. It has been deemed a museum & Historical site. There is an "Italian Garden", an arbour that has been handcrafted without nails, a greenhouse with a pond inside & fish. It really is a remarkable home to visit, infact I was just there today!

Parkwood has also been used for many films: Chicago, X-Men, and probably the better one to get a feel for the premise:Billy Madison - several scenes including the one of him on the jet ski in the fountain, the scene at the beginning where he chases the penquin to the front door, etc. It has also been used for tons of made for TV movies, commercials, etc. The grounds also is used for wedding photos.

I had to laugh as we pulled up infront of the building today, there is a sign directing you to park to the right. I told my husband to rebel and go to the left to do the entrance circle at the front "just like Billy Madison did!"

Edward Gardens in Toronto is also a gorgeous place to visit. Lots of different types of gardens, and winding pathways through gardens, woods, beside streams...beautiful!

Sorry this is off topic - Flower4 - I sent you a PM - pls check. Thanks!

I second the vote for Cullen Gardens in Whitby. I took my kids when they were 4 and 8 ( a life time ago ) and they enjoyed it.

I live and work in downtown Toronto. My office building has over 2000 people coming and going every day from every part of the Greater Toronto area. I have yet to see one person wearing a face mask on the street or on the subways, except for when I walk past St.Michaels Hospital on my way to work.

The health care workers and the people THEY have close contact with seem to be the most at risk . While I wish we knew more about this disease, it has not stopped me from going about my business every day. OK, so I am still wearing my gloves in the warmer weather and I don't think I have touched a public door-knob with my bare hands in the last month, taking care to wash your hands and avoid over-crowded locations (where people are face-to-face like a rush hour subway) is at least two ways I know of protect myself.

Please don't postpone your trip. Barrie is about an hours drive north of Toronto.

trip. Looking forward to your beautiful province in July.

Laura.

No I have to go plan the rest of our trip you'd think we were going to see the mouse or something but, there is so much to see between the Barrie area, and Toronto I need to make a plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter