Show me: your black/white or sepia photos

Carolc

Disneyland is... a source of joy and inspiration t
Hey everyone... since you guys went to town on my other 'show me' thread, I thought I'd see what you have in a new category. I don't anticipate quite the turnout, but I'm hoping to be plesantly surprised.

So here it is... I've seen some really dramatic black and white photos. Problem is, I can never look at a color photo and see the potential of the drama in black and white. Show me what you've done! popcorn::

- black and whites
- sepia

** Photo editing is abosolutely okay! :thumbsup2

Doesn't have to be Disney... though those would always be appreciated.

Here's one I took at Legoland California. I applied the Sepia tone using Picasa.

60883388.jpg

Here are a few I took last weekend at my brother's wedding. Sorry if it's kiddie overload...

DSCF2828_2.jpg

DSCF2916_2_2.jpg

DSCF2836_2.jpg

DSCF2791_2.jpg

DSCF2786_2.jpg

DSCF2963_2.jpg

Here are a few of my favorites

One of our Shiloh Shepherds, Isabelle
35961322_dffe144490.jpg

Our chow chow, Boris, by our front door
35961239_9a4a379f7c.jpg

A sepia shot of a wall sconse
35961161_67c0f16498.jpg

And my favorite one (because it's from Disney!)
6678625_6287c851f8_o.jpg

castle4893bw.jpg

Converted to B&W using Russell Brown's adjustment layers method.

boB

Thanks!

Cindy's castle was lit up with red lights and the sky was a deep blue-gray. With the adjustment channels I could crank up the red to brighten the castle and darken the sky.
It's *so* cool having every B&W filter imaginable at my fingertips!

The color original looks menacing too, very un-Cinderella like.

boB

riot in argentina
57493864.jpg

skateboarding @ manly skate park
40224406.jpg

old camera, new blonde
57493778.jpg

Balboa Park - San Diego, CA
KT2A7922.jpg

thanks Kelly!. i suppose you could say i'm 'semi-pro'. photography is not my primary occupation, however i do work almost every weekend and some evenings. i shoot sports, mostly, but i also do quite a few portraits, events, and even some weddings.

yeah i would have preferred to get a different perspective of the gal with the imagefinder - but i snapped what i could before she moved on.

Wow... these are all just stunning!

Kelly - I really like the snow photo. Got more?

Miller - Great shots of the kids... and I like the hint of color on the rose and block wall. I should add that to the list on the original post, but I don't even know the name of that type of editing.

Pisco - great lighting! I like your composition.

boB - All I can say is "WOW!" I'm not familiar with Russell Brown... got a good link?

0bli0 - great shots, as always bro. :) Is that last one at CA or DL?

- So what kind of cameras do you all have?
- Did you shoot these knowing you wanted them in b/w?
- Did you use a filter, and if so, what kind (color)?

I lurk here... gazing appreciatively at all of your fabulous work.

Kelly Grannell: the radio photo... poignant... love it.

Over the last year I have been playing; quite amateurly I am afraid, with my Sony Cybershot. Life has a new dimension when you work to capture it in a photograph.

Posting even my amateur work in a public forum makes me nervous. What do you all do to safe guard your work from being stolen?

Sis - it's in CA. suze needed a break so the boys went to ride the coaster a few times.

often times i shoot things specifically to convert to mono. i don't use filters and i don't do a straight desaturate. i adjust RG&B levels depending on what the subject is, what the sky is like, etc.. normally i have a bit more contrast for prints as the shadow detail is still visible. on lcd panels the detail disappears a bit so i decrease contrast for web.

0bli0 said:
Sis - it's in CA. suze needed a break so the boys went to ride the coaster a few times.

often times i shoot things specifically to convert to mono. i don't use filters and i don't do a straight desaturate. i adjust RG&B levels depending on what the subject is, what the sky is like, etc.. normally i have a bit more contrast for prints as the shadow detail is still visible. on lcd panels the detail disappears a bit so i decrease contrast for web.

Really good photojournalism 0bli0 ! You obviously can "see" in B&W.

boB

This must make me look a little twisted, but I really like this shot I took at a local cemetery:

large.jpg

I took this one of Princess our "Weim-ador" when she was a puppy - actually 8/23/2003. I took it with my first digital a HP Photosmart C850. Of course this is SEPIA not B&W.
I actually really like B&W - I went through a B&W phase in my 20s with my very first Canon - AE1.

All of the other pics posted are great!

PetsBWPrincess.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter