Shuffleboard - Exactly How Does One Play It?

CindyBeth

<font color=deeppink>There's a Great Big Beautiful
I have never really played suffleboard before and since I will be on the cruise this Saturday, I want to play it on the ship! So, can someone tell me exactly how to play it?

I don't think I can explain it well, but the cast members on the cruise are the ones who taught us. There will be entertainment cast members on deck, just ask one for a demostation. It is a fun game that the family can play.

Good luck on getting a turn. I lost count on how many times we tried to play on our 7 day over spring break in March. My MIL wanted to play but each time we went for a turn there was already lots of people waiting. Most upsetting was the younger children with no adults around just pushing the disk around. They had no idea how to play and didn't seem that no one was telling them to move on so that others who wanted to play a real game could. I think I only saw 2 places that people could play.

how to play it?

With two long stick that you push a fairly heavy disk with a long ways.

Seriously, I can't tell you the rules for sure, but I will second what another person said, fairly small children running around with the sticks pushing the disks around with or without parent supervision. Even if the parents were around they usually let the kids hog the equipment for long periods of time ("it's keeping the kids happy so I don't have to deal with them" type of attitude). OK, yes I know it's Disney and there are a lot of children on the ship, they (or more specifically their parents) need to learn how to share and take turns.

The best place to play shuffle board is not on the ship but at Castaway Cay. In Grouper's game room (I think that is what it is called) it's a short way past the tram stop for Serenity Bay. They have a lot of games there: shuffle board, ping pong, foosball, etc. Very rarely crowded. THe shuffle board court is made out of some sort of nylon substance, so it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to send the pucks sailing to the other end of the court. On the ship it is very difficult (the courts are on deck 4 on the walk way). Since the courts are outside, they have the non slip strips all along the walking path (where the courts are) and this makes pushing the pucks very difficult. On the few times I have played, my arm was really sore.

I agree don't bother playing on the ship. My husband and I actually have played shuffleboard many times, but it was horrible on the ship.

We didn't encounter the kids problem, but the court on deck 4 is not a suitable shuffleboard court. Shuffleboard needs to be played on a smooth surface, and deck 4 definetely isn't smooth! We tried to play for a little bit, but gave up due to the nonslip surface.

I will tell my MIL about playing at CC. Sounds like a much better place. We will sail the 7 day eastern spring break 2004. I think she was disappointed that she didn't get a chance to play on our last cruise.

Hi CindyBeth.

can someone tell me exactly how to play it?

My son and I were on the August 16th Magic. We found that the shuffleboard court on the starboard side of the ship was far superior than the one on the port side.

The following is a cut-and-paste.

Play
Players slide disks alternately starting with yellow. To start, the four yellow disks are placed within the left half of the 10-off area and black disks within the right side, the small thin triangle in the middle of this area dictating the middle boundary of each side. Each disk must be played with a cue and the sliding motion must start within the 10-off area and finish within the scoring triangle. If a disk does not reach the furthest dead line, it is immediately removed from play. Any disk that tips off the edge of the court is also immediately removed from play.

Naturally, players will aim both to push their own disks into the scoring areas or strategically advantageous positions while also attempting to knock opponents disks out of play or into the 10-off area.

Scoring
Scoring occurs once all eight disks have been played and is according to the areas marked on the court with 10 points being deducted for any disks in the 10-off area. A disk must be entirely within one of the five areas and not touching the outside lines of that area in order to score the amount marked within. Disks that lie beyond the 10-off area are ignored. For the purposes of scoring the penalty 10-off area, however, the small triangle that delineates the left and right halves of the 10-off area is ignored. Disks still score if they are on top of another disk. Judges should position the eye directly above any disks that are controversially positioned in order to decide whether or not a line is being touched.

Buckaroo's Dad - Thanks for the rules and about which side is better!

And thanks to everyone about where to play too!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter