Signed Pillowcase Question - help fill in the blank PLEASE!

champagne27

Mouseketeer
Hi - I thought I might try the crafty people here to help me. I have a pillowcase for my kids that the characters signed while on the cruise. It was signed with Sharpies.

I thought that I had read somewhere that you should soak/wash them in __________ to help set the colors before using/multiple washes.

Has anyone ever heard of anything along these lines or is this some weird thing I dreamed all those crazy nights before our trip :) ?

Thanks!

I thought it was vinigar (sp?) to set the color. You could also try a product called Retayne that is used to fix commercially dyed cotton fabric. We use it for quilts, you should be able to find it in fabric stores.
Here is a good site to look at as I am not sure what type of ink you will be trying to set.
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/settingdye.shtml
good luck and let us know how it goes.

I don't have an answer, but my kids decorate pillowcases with Sharpies all the time and I never set them. After a few years they start to lighten a little (not bad). I look forward to hearing if anything helps!

Vinegar was the first thought that came to my mind too but I'm not sure if that was to set something or to wash before painting or decorating fabric? Sorry.

My daugher has her class mate sign her t-shirt last year with a sharpie, and I cant tell you how many times I have washed it. What I did was Iron the pilliowcase when we got home to heat set.
:cool1:

I think I will try the iron to heat set - good idea! I tried to research the vinegar and there seems to be a bunch of conflicting info so I will go the iron route and live with any fading!

Thanks for all the responses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter