Signs of inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a point when it is more advantageous to the owner to close his or her business and invest the money than it is too run the business…

For every job there is a pay scale, paying outside of that scale is bad…. To little pay and you only get the people who don’t want to work, put much and you go broke…..

It doesn’t matter what the owner could pay, (s)he could just as easily terminate the employee and hire someone willing to work for what the pay scale pays…

If you want someone working at McDonald’s earning 20 plus dollars per hour plan on paying 20 plus dollars for a Big Mac meal.

Think I’m wrong ?

Look at the American auto industry!
It is drowning under the weight of its unions.

You want to make real money, get an education, in a viable field, learn a trade, or do both and invent things….

There is a reason “you want fries with that” is the punchline of many jokes

But I promise you the whole “I need a raise and you can afford it” crap, should be a one way ticket to the unemployment line.

That’s whats wrong with this country people put their un calloused hands outs….rather then getting them dirty or using there brain

You’re using talking points certain media outlets relay to brainwash their audience.

Here’s a dirty little secret: the more money people make, the more money they want to make. They might go on their favorite news program and say ‘hey, if I make less than $500k, I’m just going to close the McDonald’s done because it won’t be worth it to me.’ But that will never happen because, well, greed. And even if it did, the McD’s would trickle down to someone else willing to take a lesser profit. How many people would turn down even a $5k annuity?

Secondly, your comments about the auto industry are wrong. Did the unions become too powerful? Yes. But were they the reason for the decline of the domestic industry? No. In the 60s and especially 70s, the Big 3 were colluding, they generated huge profits that executives and shareholders (conveniently largely execs) pocketed. Very little money was put into R&D for the business. This equated into crappy cars, which the era (and 80s) was well known for. Even though statistics show that a GM or Ford car built over the past 10 or 15 years will have no more problems that a Toyota or Honda, people still are weary of buying them and associate the latter with quality. Again, not about the unions but rather poor management decisions in the 60s and 70s.

K-Mart and Sears collapsed for similar reasons - execs and shareholders took the profits and put little investment back into the company. Sears and its massive catalog should’ve become what Amazon is today. And neither had unionized workforces.

Here’s a dirty little secret: the more money people make, the more money they want to make.
This is a talking point many who disagree with raising minimum wage use as well.

And even if it did, the McD’s would trickle down to someone else willing to take a lesser profit. How many people would turn down even a $5k annuity?
What you’re describing sounds an awful lot like a race to the bottom. Are you suggesting that reasonable compensation for investing in a McD’a franchise should be $5k/year?

This is a talking point many who disagree with raising minimum wage use as well.

What you’re describing sounds an awful lot like a race to the bottom. Are you suggesting that reasonable compensation for investing in a McD’a franchise should be $5k/year?

McDonald‘a sets the standards for investment and will force out any operator who doesn’t comply. The figures I cited above were achieved with operators were doing rebuilds, paying principal and interest on loans of $2M+ (the cost here in SoCal). McD’s requires loan terms of 6yrs or less, BTW (the loans are not through McD’s).

Do I think that the people who are already doing the work would split a meger profit? Of course they would, so the answer is yes.

It’s kinda sad that we got to this point away. The younger you are, the less chance of earning the American dream that your parents did.

You’re using talking points certain media outlets relay to brainwash their audience.

Here’s a dirty little secret: the more money people make, the more money they want to make. They might go on their favorite news program and say ‘hey, if I make less than $500k, I’m just going to close the McDonald’s done because it won’t be worth it to me.’ But that will never happen because, well, greed. And even if it did, the McD’s would trickle down to someone else willing to take a lesser profit. How many people would turn down even a $5k annuity?

Secondly, your comments about the auto industry are wrong. Did the unions become too powerful? Yes. But were they the reason for the decline of the domestic industry? No. In the 60s and especially 70s, the Big 3 were colluding, they generated huge profits that executives and shareholders (conveniently largely execs) pocketed. Very little money was put into R&D for the business. This equated into crappy cars, which the era (and 80s) was well known for. Even though statistics show that a GM or Ford car built over the past 10 or 15 years will have no more problems that a Toyota or Honda, people still are weary of buying them and associate the latter with quality. Again, not about the unions but rather poor management decisions in the 60s and 70s.

K-Mart and Sears collapsed for similar reasons - execs and shareholders took the profits and put little investment back into the company. Sears and its massive catalog should’ve become what Amazon is today. And neither had unionized workforces.
No I’m expressing my personal opinion, no talking points

here is another dirty little secret unless you are one of those people you work for them…. And they really are nice people …

so here is a little business lesson….if i can make more money closing my Mac Donald’s and putting the money into stocks, than I can running my business, it is a no brained….

35 percent of the purchase price of every new car sold goes to pay union pensions….

toyota and Honda’s American made cars are made by non union employees, make about 30 percent less

it is very clear, you don’t understand business, or the market, or the auto industry….

you do understand that for the most part shareholder, are normal people that invest their money in corporations to make a profit…. They want the stock price to go up, and they want a dividend… to get a dividend your the company you have invested in needs to make money…. To make money they have to do the right things …..

Disney is feeling this sting right now…. Chapek made really bad choices, DISNEY PLUS isn’t doing what they expected… the stock price is down, and none of the shareholders are getting a dividend

No I’m expressing my personal opinion, no talking points

here is another dirty little secret unless you are one of those people you work for them…. And they really are nice people …

so here is a little business lesson….if i can make more money closing my Mac Donald’s and putting the money into stocks, than I can running my business, it is a no brained….

35 percent of the purchase price of every new car sold goes to pay union pensions….

toyota and Honda’s American made cars are made by non union employees, make about 30 percent less

it is very clear, you don’t understand business, or the market, or the auto industry….

you do understand that for the most part shareholder, are normal people that invest their money in corporations to make a profit…. They want the stock price to go up, and they want a dividend… to get a dividend your the company you have invested in needs to make money…. To make money they have to do the right things …..

Disney is feeling this sting right now…. Chapek made really bad choices, DISNEY PLUS isn’t doing what they expected… the stock price is down, and none of the shareholders are getting a dividend

You’re using tired talking points.

First off, you’re assuming that wealth needs to be restricted to a small number of people. If your local McD’s closed because the owner decided to invest in the stock market, do you think people would be forced to eat at home? Or do you think alternatives would open? If I’m running a franchised restaurant for $50k/yr, and I’m given an opportunity to own my own business where I can make $100k/year, am I going to do that? Or put the money somebody is offering me in the stock market?

Secondly, GM and Ford were among the wealthiest companies in the country in the 60s and 70s. The quality of their vehicles didn’t diminish because of union pensions, but rather because they didn’t invest in R&D. When the “imports” arrived, Ford and GM were among the most profitable, cash rich companies in the world. Kinda silly to suggest that they failed because of union pensions and then claim I know nothing about business. Turn off your favorite news channel and do your own research.

You’re using tired talking points.

First off, you’re assuming that wealth needs to be restricted to a small number of people. If your local McD’s closed because the owner decided to invest in the stock market, do you think people would be forced to eat at home? Or do you think alternatives would open? If I’m running a franchised restaurant for $50k/yr, and I’m given an opportunity to own my own business where I can make $100k/year, am I going to do that? Or put the money somebody is offering me in the stock market?

Secondly, GM and Ford were among the wealthiest companies in the country in the 60s and 70s. The quality of their vehicles didn’t diminish because of union pensions, but rather because they didn’t invest in R&D. When the “imports” arrived, Ford and GM were among the most profitable, cash rich companies in the world. Kinda silly to suggest that they failed because of union pensions and then claim I know nothing about business. Turn off your favorite news channel and do your own research.
No, I'm expressing my personal opinion, and if I'm understnding you correctly you are reffering to the highested rate new orgination in the industry...... Why do you think that agency is the highest rated?

I'm not assuming wealth needs to be restricted at all, Itold you to go get an education and a job.... its what I did... and I do pretty well for myself....

As far as eatting at home, in this very thread I said it is cheaper to eat at red robin than Mcd. but yes if yo can't afford to eat out I would strongly recoomend you eat at home....

Again, here you are showing your complete and utter lack of any business knowledge.....

If I have to invest a X dollars to own a mcd..... that business needs to pay me, at least .1x to .2x for it to be worth my investment..... (x here is called a variable)

If I have to pay you .... I mean the fry cook 25 dollars an hour and I don't make .1x, im better off taking my money and invest in a company that will....

You premises is the rich guys owes you something, because they can afford it..... I'm breaking the bad news to you that you are wrong... sorry.

What R&D are you reffering to that the big three didn't do.... Can you cite that source.... Is it a creditable source....

Maybe you should do some research.... Because again, I'm not watching the news, I'm living my life.... and must be doing something right because I'm not eatting or working at McDonald's

The fast food industry has been hit hard by the labor shortages. Taco Bell closest to where I live closes at 6 pm, after being 24 hours for decades, because they can't find people to work for them. Here in California our Governor just signed a bill into law to make the minimum wage for Fast Food workers $20 an hour. That may sound like a lot of money for unskilled labor but McDonalds here is already paying $23 an hour training wage, jumping to $25 an hour after two months.
I get the idea of paying living wages, but some jobs are designed to be filled by High School students and Senior citizens looking for a little extra money and something to do and thus would not pay a living wage.
THIS is why you paid $2.29 for hash browns.
We were told for decades that those jobs would be automated when the wages got too high. If they're not willing to pay what it takes to staff the restaurant, where are the robots?

It's almost like that was an empty threat to suppress wages...

We were told for decades that those jobs would be automated when the wages got too high. If they're not willing to pay what it takes to staff the restaurant, where are the robots?

Umm, Dont Laugh!
They Have them in Poland.
The fast food industry has been hit hard by the labor shortages. Taco Bell closest to where I live closes at 6 pm, after being 24 hours for decades, because they can't find people to work for them. Here in California our Governor just signed a bill into law to make the minimum wage for Fast Food workers $20 an hour. That may sound like a lot of money for unskilled labor but McDonalds here is already paying $23 an hour training wage, jumping to $25 an hour after two months.
I get the idea of paying living wages, but some jobs are designed to be filled by High School students and Senior citizens looking for dustry a little extra money and something to do and thus would not pay a living wage.
THIS is why you paid $2.29 for hash browns.
My son's first job was in the food industry. He started at $18, was a store manager in 9 months make $25.... he was a high school senior when they hired him.

He left that job for something he loves, took a cut in pay for six months, in 2 years he will be will into six figures.

The point is lots of high paying jobs, are within reach, you just having to be willing to work..... and in most cases pass a drug test

oh, and hash browns at dunkin are only 1.39....

Buying in bulk is the way to go. In the long run, if can keep a well-stocked freezer and pantry you'll save money.
With just two of us, I'd be afraid of freezer burn and I'd have to throw too much food out.

Not an empty threat. Like I posted, the labor shortage is so bad in the fast food industry that my local Taco Bell has to close due to lack of staff. And the none of the KFC's here have reopened their indoor dining since the pandemic due to lack of staff. They don't have enough people to run the drive through and the indoor counter.

It is cheaper to goto Red Robin and sit down have a hamburger, fries, and a coke than it is to get one at Mcicky
Of course we both aren't considering the fact that at McDonalds, what you pay in the menu prices is the entire cost. At Red Robin, you have to tip, so 15 to 20% more than the menu price depending on how much you tip.

With just two of us, I'd be afraid of freezer burn and I'd have to throw too much food out.
We've been "just the two of us" with a Costco membership for 11 years

Their chicken is one of their best products if you're looking to reduce freezer burn because of the way it's sealed. We separate the pouches and then put them in the deep freezer, when we're ready we put them in the fridge to defrost. In fact the pouches are perfect for 2 people.

You're going off pre-conceived notions here

No, I'm expressing my personal opinion, and if I'm understnding you correctly you are reffering to the highested rate new orgination in the industry...... Why do you think that agency is the highest rated?

I'm not assuming wealth needs to be restricted at all, Itold you to go get an education and a job.... its what I did... and I do pretty well for myself....

As far as eatting at home, in this very thread I said it is cheaper to eat at red robin than Mcd. but yes if yo can't afford to eat out I would strongly recoomend you eat at home....

Again, here you are showing your complete and utter lack of any business knowledge.....

If I have to invest a X dollars to own a mcd..... that business needs to pay me, at least .1x to .2x for it to be worth my investment..... (x here is called a variable)

If I have to pay you .... I mean the fry cook 25 dollars an hour and I don't make .1x, im better off taking my money and invest in a company that will....

You premises is the rich guys owes you something, because they can afford it..... I'm breaking the bad news to you that you are wrong... sorry.

What R&D are you reffering to that the big three didn't do.... Can you cite that source.... Is it a creditable source....

Maybe you should do some research.... Because again, I'm not watching the news, I'm living my life.... and must be doing something right because I'm not eatting or working at McDonald's

First off, you illustrated my point completely. The reason a hash brown costs $3 is not because of labor, but because the wealthy need to obtain a certain level of return off their investment. Thus people with more money than they need… screw over the people who need it most. Hence why the middle class continues to decline and the rich get richer.

Secondly, if you’re asking me to cite a source on R&D for GM and Ford, then you’ve made a conclusion without any facts. Which goes back to my other point to educate yourself first before forming a conclusion. GM, Ford and Chrysler’s history of colluding in the 60s and 70s is well documented. GM’s history of cost cutting is well documented. Lead engineers of the Pontiac Aztec and Chevy Volt have spoken on the record on how GM completely gutted program funding for short-term profits, ultimately resulting in cars that were ridiculous. GM and Ford’s poor quality rep continues to haunt them even today.

Their chicken is one of their best products if you're looking to reduce freezer burn because of the way it's sealed. We separate the pouches and then put them in the deep freezer, when we're ready we put them in the fridge to defrost. In fact the pouches are perfect for 2 people.

I just double-ziplock (ziplocks can also be bought in bulk at Costco} everything. There are home vacuum packing machines you can buy. My mom bought me one, but I could never get it to work right.

To be honest I've been shopping more at Sam's. Sam's has better prices on a lot of things and better produce, but you really can't beat Costco meat and poultry.

I just double-ziplock (ziplocks can also be bought in bulk at Costco} everything. There are home vacuum packing machines you can buy. My mom bought me one, but I could never get it to work right.

To be honest I've been shopping more at Sam's. Sam's has better prices on a lot of things and better produce, but you really can't beat Costco meat and poultry.
I don't invest in the vacuuming machine personally but I know others do. There's no need to with their chicken because it's already sealed that way.

But we do other things even just buying at Walmart- bread we try to buy 2 loaves and freeze one, lately we've been buying a few onions at a time and dicing them up measuring them out and freezing them; a lot of our recipes call for 1/2 an onion for example. During the summer we make burgers with diced jalapenos, cajun seasoning and diced onions and freeze those and we'll freeze the buns to be used later on. Chicken and beef broth are frozen, pasta sauce is frozen and so on.

We buy most of our ziplock bags at Costco as well because they'll come in the multi-packs and we'll look for when they are on sale.

My daughter has a membership so I could certainly could try it out. But this isn't a pre-conceived notion situation, we were Sam's Clubs members when our kids were growing up. So it is first hand experience with club size purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter