Simple meals

Chicken cutlets - you can make extra one evening and change it up the next few days. You can even freeze a few cooked slices for another time if you don't want to have them night after night.

Plain one night - wish side dishes
Chicken Parm another night
Cut into strips another night and put over a salad
Cut into strips/stir fry with peppers & onions
Cut into strips or leave slices and sauce with sliced mushrooms/onions, some broth
Make sandwiches with various toppings

Just a few ideas

We also freeze lentil soup, split pea soup, beef stew, meatballs (we use the meatloaf mix), sauce.

For quick meals

We make potatoes with eggs
Asparagus with eggs
Peppers & onions with eggs

Throw two cans of tuna on top of a salad (we shred carrots, add chick peas, tomatoes, red onion - whatever you have home).

On a night when you are up to it - as long as you have the ingredients - make a little extra or go out of your way to make something that can be made into multiple meals.

So tired of cooking and trying to come up with ideas & most of the time, we have all the time in the world.

I saw that you can't have soy. If you like Teriyaki and want one without soy we use Primal Kitchen's No Soy Teriyuaki.

We use a lot of the Primal Kitchen products. I hate ketchup but their ketchup is all my wife and son use at home. Anyone looking for healthy sauce alternative should check them out.

As for easy recipes I would suggest anything you can do in a crock pot since you can set it once and have meals for a few days. For easy, cheap, and healthy you can't go wrong with beans. If you have some dried beans around you can throw them and some broth, vegetables, and noodles into a crock pot and walk away for a few hours.

I know frozen vegetables were already mentioned and we do them a lot. The ones that you microwave right in the bag are quick and simple and we don't find them mushy at all.

If I don't want to make my own sauce, the next best thing is Rao's jarred sauce. My favorite is Italian Sausage and Mushroom. Have spaghetti or put the sauce over meatballs. Whatever you find acceptable. Very easy.
Just curious since you mentioned it, how much is Rao's sauce? I'd love to try it, it looks so good, but it's over $8 for a jar. I use 2 jars with a lb. of ground meat when I make spaghetti. I make spaghetti a lot so that can be a very expensive meal using "good" jar sauce.

Just curious since you mentioned it, how much is Rao's sauce? I'd love to try it, it looks so good, but it's over $8 for a jar. I use 2 jars with a lb. of ground meat when I make spaghetti. I make spaghetti a lot so that can be a very expensive meal using "good" jar sauce.
It is expensive, but when it comes to jarred sauces it is the best. It also doesn't flare me as much as other sauces so bonus. One jar lasts me quite a while since I don't use a ton and it is just for me.

But I do love it.

Carnitas bowls. We do chicken or pork in the crock pot. If I don't make my own sauce, I buy carnitas sauce. When it's done cooking, just make some rice and chop up whatever is in the pantry to mix in. We have added black beans, onions, avocado, bell peppers, corn, cheese, and sour cream. I tend to load up on veggies and add black beans, and then add a little meat and sauce and it's really tasty.

Egg and cheese sandwiches with some sliced fruit on the side is popular in our house, as well.

Cook some frozen chicken tenders in the crock pot with 1/2 cup of water and a packet of taco seasoning, serve over boxed yellow rice that you prepared on stovetop according to package directions but add a cup of peas or corn in there before the water boils. Super easy and cheap; I usually have shredded cheese, black beans, and salsa on the table for my kids to add to it too.

If you shop at Aldi, they sell a bag of frozen Parmesan Chicken breasts for less than $6 and if you cook those and serve with spaghetti you can make cheap, easy Chicken Parmesan dinner. There's 3 of us in our house and one bag works for 2 dinners, with leftovers both nights.

I only buy this on sale for $4.99 (Shoprite/Stop and Shop). Costco has the double jar - just a few ounces more of each jar and you don't need to wait for a sale.

We usually make our own sauce with whole/plum tomato Repack - but like to keep this handy for emergencies. We usually buy the Vodka sauce.

Last edited:
Rao's IS expensive--so much so, we don't usually have it (I'm Italian--I go with Prego, which is decent). They do sell Rao's at Walmart--that's the cheapest place I've found for it, unless you can find a good sale. Mostly, I just look at it lovingly and sigh--I have three kids (2 teens and DS23), they wouldn't appreciate Rao's or the cost. But, I keep a jar hidden, just for me.

MrsCobraBubble--the Aldi's Parmesan Chicken breasts are a staple in our house. I don't know about the OP and her soy allergy, she'd have to check. But she could make a meal out of one breast, easily--there are typically 6 per package, and good-sized. In our house, I cook as directed, then pull out, top with sauce and shredded mozzarella, and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes. This is a family favorite here, too! Next time, I think I might try cooking the breasts, chopping them up, and putting then in a baked ziti casserole with the cheese on top--just for something a little different. I casually mentioned this as a possibility to the kids, and thought it sounded good, so we'll try it.

Also, OP--I feel you on the allergies and grocery pick-up. The only one with allergies in our house is, um, the cat. She can't have fish. You'd be surprised how many canned cat foods have fish as an ingredient! So, every time I order canned cat food and get a substitution, I have to make the Walmart person dig out the cat food so I can check the label. They're good sports about it, but I feel ridiculous. Except I want my cat healthy. I can imagine how much time this would waste for you--especially something like soy, which shows up in all sorts of unexpected places.

Since you mentioned Aldi, I get their large “hunk” of cooked turkey breast that’s over in the refrigerated section near the lunch meats, fancier cheeses and prepared foods. We slice and heat for dinner and serve with gravy, use it for quesadillas or nachos and my boys (20 and almost 18) like to eat it plain for lunch.

One pan chili mac. In a covered pan (I use a chicken fryer skillet)

1.5 lbs ground beef browned
1 med onion chopped
drain
salt and pepper to taste
chili powder to taste (I start with 1 TB)
cumin to taste (1 tsp for us)
oregano to taste
1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz can (approx) rotel or any diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 15 oz can WATER
1/2 package UNCOOKED elbow noodles

Once the meat is browned with the onion add everything else in together, stir well, simmer for 20 minutes.Play with the measurements etc. Sometimes I add more sauce if I have more than a half pack of noodles etc.
Very similar to my recipe, only we add a tsp of white vinegar. I expect the jalapenos would give it enough kick, though. lol.

Get a walker with a seat. great help in kitchen for back and hip problems.

Pre fry some veggies, put in fridge. I have back problems also, I get and use tv trays while sitting in living room to chop the veggies. One tray for containers, one tray for chopping. Bag off to the side for trash. Prewash veggies before starting.

When you get your meat, pre chop some before you freeze.

Make a starch on bottom (potatoes, rice, beans, pasta. Sauce next if you want (gravy or pasta, cheese sauce, pasta sauce) Fry up your veggies, place them on next. Season and fry up your meat last. Place on top.

Great in a soup mug. Simple and easy. Usually take less than 30 minutes, and very versatile.

Also crockpot meals. Tend to be easy to prep (especially if you have pre chopped veggies), and great to freeze to pull out later.

The most expensive grocery stores in my area sell it for upwards of $8 per jar. Wegman's/Target, etc will have it for $6.50 a jar. Costco sells a 2 pack for a very reasonable price (I just can't remember). I never buy it a full price. I find that it goes on sale often at all stores and I generally pay the $6.99 price. I do think Costco is the best deal but I prefer some of the various varieties that Rao's makes and Costco doesn't sell those. My favorite variety is the Mushroom Green Pepper one and only Harris Teeter sells that one. Harris Teeter is our highest price grocery store but, I swear, they have Rao's on sale at least 2 weeks out of every month.

I do omlettes on the nights I just don't want to cook. Any leftovers can go in them, and they are quick.

I try and bake up a few potatoes each weekend to have in the fridge. Then, each morning after the kids get up, I can slice and fry in the same time it takes to scramble eggs/make toast.

A quick dinner - frozen tail-off shrimp (not breaded). Cooked or not.

Boil pasta or rice.

In frying pan, add stock or broth, garlic, red pepper, etc. any veggies you want, lemon juice. Reduce a bit. (I typically add broccoli or peas)

Throw shrimp in and either heat through or until pink, and then drain pasta, add to pan, toss to coat.

I typically top with whatever parmesan I have and some breadcrumbs.

Takes only as long as it takes to make the starch.

The most expensive grocery stores in my area sell it for upwards of $8 per jar. Wegman's/Target, etc will have it for $6.50 a jar. Costco sells a 2 pack for a very reasonable price (I just can't remember). I never buy it a full price. I find that it goes on sale often at all stores and I generally pay the $6.99 price. I do think Costco is the best deal but I prefer some of the various varieties that Rao's makes and Costco doesn't sell those. My favorite variety is the Mushroom Green Pepper one and only Harris Teeter sells that one. Harris Teeter is our highest price grocery store but, I swear, they have Rao's on sale at least 2 weeks out of every month.

I will have to check this out. E-T is everywhere here, but I don't shop there due to their high prices. But I may keep on eye on their flyers for Rao's on sale.

A big package of hamburger can make up goulash, shepherds pie and a hot hamburger/fries meal. So 3 meals plus leftovers!

Turkey from the deli can make hot turkey sandwiches - have with fries or mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Yum!

Tuna fish - make tuna melts with that. Put on top of english muffins lightly toasted and top with cheese (I like swiss) and heat in oven until cheese melts. Easy peasy!

I like buying frozen pizza dough and make a pizza or calzone. My favorite is making a veggie pizza.

Don't forget breakfast for dinner! Whip up an omlet, french toast or eggs benedict with homefries.

Pork - throw in whatever boneless pork you have into a crockpot with a sliced onion and bottle of BBQ sauce - pulled pork sandwiches. Yum!

Make up a batch of chili. Serve it over white rice with cornbread. Another meal you can serve it over a baked potato. Also can serve it on hot dogs. Three meals from that one batch of chili.

Fresh haddock - so easy! Cook in oven for about 20-25 minutes! Our grocery store also sells seafood stuffing so I top it with that. Serve with rice pilaf and roasted broccoli. One of my favorite meals and so easy to make!

Boneless chicken - cover with Shake n bake coating and pop in oven.

Boneless chicken - Put a pat of butter and some olive oil in pan and cook chicken. When almost done, slice into bite size pieces. Serve on top of romaine lettuce tossed with caesar salad dressing and croutons.

So many suggestions! I hope this post helps other people as well. I never expected to get this many responses. They are all wonderful. Even if it's not something I can eat, it still gives me ideas that I can work with and maybe someone else can use it. I wish I could thank each and every one of you.

Crab legs. Steam for 7-10 minutes and eat. The difficult part is eating them, not cooking them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter