Sister Wives

Yep, I agree, if you decide to not get a divorce, you need to make the decision to forgive and move to rebuild the marriage. Kody doesn't believe in divorce but he also doesn't seem to believe in doing anything whatsoever to work on a marriage. He's keeping Meri in limbo in order to reap his celestial rewards. He looks like he enjoys torturing her and it's so pathetic that she goes on tv begging for the crumbs he throws her. She has zero self worth at this point. I wish she would find her a man and flaunt it all over the internet lol! Same with Christine and Janelle. I have a hard time believing that he's sleeping with anyone other than Robyn. I wish they would all leave and pound Kody with child support!

Just letting you know I thoroughly enjoyed that. :rotfl2:

it felt almost spiritual. :laughing: ;)

I reread Christine and Kody talking about the nachos situation last night. The worst **** wasn't even his exact words in the book. The worst came from him discussing it afterwards. He could not help himself to make it worse. Can. Not. Help. Himself.

I have come to the conclusion the man is truly daft.

So I'm trying to understand the Brown Families' beliefs about polygamy. Is it that the bigger the family, the more rewards the man reaps in the afterlife? Is that why he feels the need to have four wives and 18 children? If that's the case, can it be said that Kody is basically "collecting" wives and children to fulfill his beliefs and suit his needs? I thought it was very odd the other night when he said he has a responsibility to his minor children, but it pretty much ends when they become adults. Yes, he legally has to support the minors. But after that, do they just become part of his collection? That's kind of how it seems to me.

So I'm trying to understand the Brown Families' beliefs about polygamy. Is it that the bigger the family, the more rewards the man reaps in the afterlife? Is that why he feels the need to have four wives and 18 children? If that's the case, can it be said that Kody is basically "collecting" wives and children to fulfill his beliefs and suit his needs? I thought it was very odd the other night when he said he has a responsibility to his minor children, but it pretty much ends when they become adults. Yes, he legally has to support the minors. But after that, do they just become part of his collection? That's kind of how it seems to me.
I think you're pretty much spot on. I always wonder where love actually factors in? The way it was explained to me, was that, Mormons think that there are a finite number of souls in heaven that have to be born before Jesus can come back. So it's their job to have as many children as possible to get all of those souls born. Basically, hurrying the Lord along lol. Sounds to me like Kody is doing just that. I was told that back in the old days, when Mormons were being persecuted, the men were being killed, leaving the women and children with no protection and that's why they started plural wives and that since that is no longer needed, they did away with plural marriage. Also that it was illegal and they got tired of fighting the law. But because Joseph Smith and Brigham Young did it, the fundamentalist think this is the way it was meant to be. I have to agree with them there. If your gonna go "all in", you might as well follow it the way it was meant to be followed and not conform to the rules of society lol. Speaking of Brigham Young, that reminded me. We had a day care center here in town once called, "Bring em' young" lol I thought that was pretty clever.

YES! All of this. you said this so much better than I could have. It's an issue if respect, and NOT one of "my husband must rule every aspect of my life."

To somewhat parallel this, somewhere in this thread, the concept of submitting to church leaders (or seeking the church's authority.... I can't remember how it was worded, exactly) was mentioned. And I see this in a similar way as "submitting to your husband." It's an issue of respect, and going to church leaders for advice. This is in no way meant to be a "gotcha" thing from the church, nor is it ever, EVER meant to be a way to tolerate or hide abuse of any kind. In the Biblical context, it is meant to be a loving counseling and seeking wisdom role, not a controlling roll.

(and altough I don't feel I need to say this here, as we've all been respectful and understanding in this thread, please respect this also, as Claudia mentions, as an informative post, not a religious post. And please ignore the sentence structure of that last sentence. I added to the beginning, and it doesn't flow well now.)
Yes, and I don't think they have an actual church family. They practice their religion at home because polygamy is so frowned on. It was illegal where they lived and they weren't a part of any sect so they didn't have any priesthood holders above Kody to answer to as far as all that goes. I remember in the early days they talked about this and showed a little bit of them gathered together worshiping. Either they aren't very religious anymore or they chose to keep how they worship off camera. That religion is a bit private unless you are a member. You can't go to their temples and you can't go to their funerals. Most definitely the largest cult out there. If you haven't seen the HBO show "Big Love", you should! It gives away every. single. secret of the church. Both fundamentalist and Latter Day Saints. As crazy as it seems, everything they do in that show is exposing Mormons. From weird things like the "prophet" sticking his face inside a cowboy hat and popping back out with a prophecy:rolleyes:, to the Mormon church having a HUGE part in Las Vegas gambling. It will blow your mind! I own the box set :rotfl2: The show is about a family exactly like the Browns, trying to hide their lifestyle in Utah, living amongst the regular Mormons and just how important it is to be involved in the church out there. I've told this before too, but for those who haven't been reading along the whole time. I dated a guy that had to move to Salt Lake with his family when he was little and the teacher introduced him to the class as "The little Methodist boy from Oklahoma" or "back East"...something like that. She made it well known that he wasn't "one of them".

\

(and altough I don't feel I need to say this here, as we've all been respectful and understanding in this thread, please respect this also, as Claudia mentions, as an informative post, not a religious post. And please ignore the sentence structure of that last sentence. I added to the beginning, and it doesn't flow well now.)

YES!! I absolutely love how everyone can talk about a touchy subject and speak to how we feel without anyone getting all up in arms and offended. It's refreshing to be able to have a real conversation and not feel like you have to pump the breaks and not say what's on your mind out of fear. We seem to have hit upon a level headed fun group here! Even if I did disappear for a long time. I got banned for being....well for being me. :rotfl2: It'll happen again. lol

I reread Christine and Kody talking about the nachos situation last night. The worst **** wasn't even his exact words in the book. The worst came from him discussing it afterwards. He could not help himself to make it worse. Can. Not. Help. Himself.

I have come to the conclusion the man is truly daft.
Calling him daft is too generous.

It feels to me more like him being so comfortable in his position in life that he never has had to worry about the effect of his words on others. He's one of that special breed that feels like if he has a thought, it needs to be uttered.

Yes, and I don't think they have an actual church family. They practice their religion at home because polygamy is so frowned on. It was illegal where they lived and they weren't a part of any sect so they didn't have any priesthood holders above Kody to answer to as far as all that goes. I remember in the early days they talked about this and showed a little bit of them gathered together worshiping. Either they aren't very religious anymore or they chose to keep how they worship off camera. That religion is a bit private unless you are a member. You can't go to their temples and you can't go to their funerals. Most definitely the largest cult out there. If you haven't seen the HBO show "Big Love", you should! It gives away every. single. secret of the church. Both fundamentalist and Latter Day Saints. As crazy as it seems, everything they do in that show is exposing Mormons. From weird things like the "prophet" sticking his face inside a cowboy hat and popping back out with a prophecy:rolleyes:, to the Mormon church having a HUGE part in Las Vegas gambling. It will blow your mind! I own the box set :rotfl2: The show is about a family exactly like the Browns, trying to hide their lifestyle in Utah, living amongst the regular Mormons and just how important it is to be involved in the church out there. I've told this before too, but for those who haven't been reading along the whole time. I dated a guy that had to move to Salt Lake with his family when he was little and the teacher introduced him to the class as "The little Methodist boy from Oklahoma" or "back East"...something like that. She made it well known that he wasn't "one of them".
:thumbsup2 I binged Big Love a few years ago - it was fantastic. I remember marvelling at how closely the storylines mimicked real-life scenarios we’d seen play out on Sister Wives and the ABSOLUTELY UNCANNY thing is that Big Love was produced years before we were ever introduced to the Brown family. (Also, I adored Bill Paxton - may he Rest In Peace.)

I also think that if religion was an important part of their lives any more (beyond just justifying Kody having all these wives) we would have heard more about it in context of the pandemic. It would have been an issue that they couldn't gather to have any sort of service or observance. And we already know they weren't zooming, so likely not having any sort of virtual service either. I feel at this point that the only faith they follow is Kody worship. Some more than others of late. ;)

I also think that if religion was an important part of their lives any more (beyond just justifying Kody having all these wives) we would have heard more about it in context of the pandemic. It would have been an issue that they couldn't gather to have any sort of service or observance. And we already know they weren't zooming, so likely not having any sort of virtual service either. I feel at this point that the only faith they follow is Kody worship. Some more than others of late. ;)

Yes! There is a massive difference between living a life of faith and just knowing words to quote to support your position. No matter what your belief system, a sincere faith shows thru and parents will attempt to pass it onto their children. While watching the train wreck on the show is entertaining, I cringe for their children and the message they are receiving about life.

I thought it was very odd the other night when he said he has a responsibility to his minor children, but it pretty much ends when they become adults. Yes, he legally has to support the minors. But after that, do they just become part of his collection? That's kind of how it seems to me.

i think that's a specific to kody attitude. all the lds (and offshoots of the faith) practitioners i'm familiar with don't have a 18 year old thrown out into the world. yes, most by 18 are finishing school and fully employed, most are attending college as well and will be off on their missions by about age 20 but even those that don't go to college, don't go on mission are frequently still living at home with their parents (this was super common in the very liberal community i grew up in during the 70's and 80's despite the norm then with non lds to be out living on your own as quickly as possible).

I was told that back in the old days, when Mormons were being persecuted, the men were being killed, leaving the women and children with no protection and that's why they started plural wives and that since that is no longer needed, they did away with plural marriage.

it ended b/c utah wanted formal statehood but the u.s. government said 'no' and threatened to seize all of the lds churches assets and begin acting on existing anti-polygamy laws.

thing is-polygamy was much less widespread than it seems like-only those who demonstrated unusually high levels of spiritual and economic worthiness were permitted to practice plural marriage, and the church also required that the first wife give her consent. as a result of these barriers, relatively few men had multiple wives. best estimates suggest that men with two or more wives made up only 5 to 15 percent of the population of most lds communities. it's not the huge historical nationwide practice that kody and his supporters make it out to be.

So I just looked at Kody's Instagram account. Now I'm behind on tech stuff, but his bio has be confused.
Father of eighteen, husband to four. I love 'em all. Passionate about INDIVIDUAL rights. Apologetic for taking that "red pill"... dang it!!
Awake!

Can anyone tell me what the "red pill" is.

So I just looked at Kody's Instagram account. Now I'm behind on tech stuff, but his bio has be confused.
Father of eighteen, husband to four. I love 'em all. Passionate about INDIVIDUAL rights. Apologetic for taking that "red pill"... dang it!!
Awake!

Can anyone tell me what the "red pill" is.
I assume he is quoting the The Matrix:

Morpheus: “You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

i think that's a specific to kody attitude. all the lds (and offshoots of the faith) practitioners i'm familiar with don't have a 18 year old thrown out into the world. yes, most by 18 are finishing school and fully employed, most are attending college as well and will be off on their missions by about age 20 but even those that don't go to college, don't go on mission are frequently still living at home with their parents (this was super common in the very liberal community i grew up in during the 70's and 80's despite the norm then with non lds to be out living on your own as quickly as possible).

it ended b/c utah wanted formal statehood but the u.s. government said 'no' and threatened to seize all of the lds churches assets and begin acting on existing anti-polygamy laws.

thing is-polygamy was much less widespread than it seems like-only those who demonstrated unusually high levels of spiritual and economic worthiness were permitted to practice plural marriage, and the church also required that the first wife give her consent. as a result of these barriers, relatively few men had multiple wives. best estimates suggest that men with two or more wives made up only 5 to 15 percent of the population of most lds communities. it's not the huge historical nationwide practice that kody and his supporters make it out to be.
Wow! Very interesting.

I don't think Kody has a rule, or even a guiding principle on this. I think Kody just handles it in the way that makes Kody most happy at the time. Remember how they were redoing part of Janelle's house so Maddie and Caleb could move back in as married adults?

It almost feels at this point that he's tired of all those other kids that aren't Robyn's. It's just pathetic at this point.

As to a church family - they did attend a AUB church in Utah.
The kids went to a private church run school there too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter