'skeeter report, please

lindabfin

Earning My Ears
If anyone has been at FW in the past few days, could you tell us how the mosquito population is? We'll be staying in a cabin June 14 - 21, bringing Off with us, but wonder if I should pack some Yard Guard type spray as well. Thanks!

Oh that's so funny....well not funny....but I was just coming over to this board to post the exact same question today. I'd like to know myself because we will be there June 11-22.

Let's hope someone has good news for us (bad for the "skeeters")! Are you in a cabin or camping?

I have never really seen a skeeter problem at FW, which is surprising considering it is swampy there. But then again, maybe it's not surprising, since the skeeter truck goes through every morning. We always keep the camper closed up, use the air, and don't leave towels hanging out. The stuff smells like the insecticide dust my dad used to use on the rose bushes.

:rolleyes:

Thanks, ftwildnerness guy, I'm hoping NOT to see the little buzzers this year! We've gone in April several times and never noticed a problem, but this will be our first time in the more humid, summer months.
sltrawick, we're staying in a cabin. We have a pop-up, but really don't want to haul it 1200 miles. We love the cabins and it makes it a real vacation for mom (me)!!

We live about 7 hours from WDW. But don't get down there like we want too.
I totally understand about not wanting to pull the camper that far. But at least your still getting the camping experience staying in the cabin. :)

We will be there NEXT year in Oct.Has anyone camped there in Oct?Is there a skeeter problem that time of year?? Thanks for your help:D

Disneybelle66 - we have camped there a couple of times in October - skeeters were not a problem. We were there last November after a particularly wet period even for Florida and no bugs. I'm telling you - DEET and the skeeter truck will answer all of your problems!

:D

We were at FW last year in June, we did not encounter too many mosquitos and there was standing water everywhere. There was not enough to even put on bug spray. However it rained everyday from noon until dark, and that can keep the mosquitos away. We were there May 5-9th this year and never saw a single mosquitos, only those pesky yellow flies.

One thing I noticed is after someone moved out of a campsite, the staff member came and sprayed the ground around the site with bug stuff, I'm sure to keep the ants down, but will aid in mosquitos also.

Last year late at night we did see a truck riding around spraying for mosquitos. I think they have it under control.

We will be heading to FW this Sat. and will return on June 9 to the boards. I will let you know what the mosquitoes are like as well as the deer flies. Hopefully, I won't see any.

We are currently at WDW, staying at the Beach Club Villas. Since we are coming back at the end of June for a week at Ft. Wilderness (our first time camping at WDW!) we spent a couple of hours there this afternoon, to scope things out. I did not notice the first mosquito. It is very hot and humid outdoors, but Disney must to something to help control them. Saw a few dragonflies, along with peacocks and bunnies, but no mosquito encounters.

FredS,
Thanks so much for posting. :) I believe your right....I think they have a truck that goes through and sprays to keep it under control.

I've only once had a problem with mosquitoes and that was years ago. Ants were a big problem a few years back. They were falling from the trees, etc. The whole 800 loop at that time had a problem. It was so bad, they cut limbs and sprayed almost daily to help the problem. Every morning and evening, we had to spray our camper down with the hose to get them off the trailer. They ended up giving us a free night the next time that we come because it was so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter