Skipper Canteen (Jungle Cruise themed restaurant) updates and ADR watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Disney offering QS lunches and TS dinners at the new restaurants is interesting. I have always thought that MK is sorely lacking when it comes to TS meals at night, sending people out of the park for dinner. I can't wait to see what this new restaurant will be like!

i think you are right and i think they could of left it TS lunch and dinner, there are plenty of QS options at MK

i think you are right and i think they could of left it TS lunch and dinner, there are plenty of QS options at MK

I bet that in the long run the restaurant will meet expenses faster in that they can turn the tables over in a CS restaurant much faster. It always is about the money.

@TheRustyScupper, any confirmation it's delayed, or is this just the general thought based on amount of exterior work needing to be done?

1) They only confirmation we have from Team Meetings is that "it is not on time".
. . . no details
. . . no new opening date
2) However, the unofficial word is that the kitchen remodel is more involved than first thought.
. . . it is being physically expanded to handle both eateries
. . . the architectural plans and blueprints they have are over 40-years old, so things are not as precise as they need to be *
3) Exterior work is the easiest to speed-up and catch-up, so our guess is that the kitchen is the delay
4) At the moment, no one is venturing a guess if they can get back on-schedule.

* This was the same problem with the Flame Tree rehab. Let's face it, when changes are made on-the-fly, sometimes those changes do not make it onto prints. Does not mean anything UNTIL someone wants to make a change in the future and relies upon the un-changed prints.

1) They only confirmation we have from Team Meetings is that "it is not on time".
. . . no details
. . . no new opening date
2) However, the unofficial word is that the kitchen remodel is more involved than first thought.
. . . it is being physically expanded to handle both eateries
. . . the architectural plans and blueprints they have are over 40-years old, so things are not as precise as they need to be *
3) Exterior work is the easiest to speed-up and catch-up, so our guess is that the kitchen is the delay
4) At the moment, no one is venturing a guess if they can get back on-schedule.

* This was the same problem with the Flame Tree rehab. Let's face it, when changes are made on-the-fly, sometimes those changes do not make it onto prints. Does not mean anything UNTIL someone wants to make a change in the future and relies upon the un-changed prints.
Thanks @TheRustyScupper!

To already know they are behind the 11-20-15 schedule suggests that this is not some little 3, 4 or 5 day delay. Me thinks the November people are out of luck. Good luck December visitors! It'll be interesting to see if there will be a soft opening or ADRs right off the bat.

Thanks for the update RustyScupper. I'm hoping for early Dec. - but if not it'll be open 12/16 when I return and probably easier to visit than right after opening.

. . the architectural plans and blueprints they have are over 40-years old, so things are not as precise as they need to be
I work as a commercial construction electrician doing a lot of refurb in restaurants and I know from experience what "40 year old prints" mean, a whole lot of issues!! Precise isn't the word for it! Nightmare is the more correct term! It means guess what's behind the walls. None of the wiring, plumbing, etc are close to being what's needed and all have to be pulled out and replaced. And being in the building that it's in, means trying to find ways to get all the needed new utilities, fire protection, HVAC and the rest into the new site. That is a nightmare at best. Those old building are tight quarters and usually have little room to work with.
We are going to WDW starting Dec. 2nd are were wondering if we good get in to it, but if this is true and the well known slow speed of construction down there it doesn't look promising

Do you think this will be the kind of restaurant where you'd need a sense of humor (like Whispering Canyon or 50s Prime Time) Or probably not?

Do you think this will be the kind of restaurant where you'd need a sense of humor (like Whispering Canyon or 50s Prime Time) Or probably not?

Not that I have read anywhere. It might be though since the skippers at JC are 'humorous'.

I'm wondering if there will be a character experience here like at BOG. Maybe Jack Sparrow just there at night for pics?? Or Tink? Though she has her M&G right there. Doesn't seem big enough for a true character meal with multiple characters but I could be wrong.

I'm wondering if there will be a character experience here like at BOG. Maybe Jack Sparrow just there at night for pics?? Or Tink? Though she has her M&G right there. Doesn't seem big enough for a true character meal with multiple characters but I could be wrong.

i love this idea! I'm not sure if it will exactly happen - but I guess anything's posible. Having a character interaction like the Beast at BOG would be a great way to make the restaurant more popular - and bring more people in. I think jack Sparrow would be cool - it would be great for little pirates! I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

I still for the sakes of logic cant wrap my head around why they would take a phenomenal restaurant and change it unless it is to save money somehow

I still for the sakes of logic cant wrap my head around why they would take a phenomenal restaurant and change it unless it is to save money somehow
Skippers Cantina is going in a space that is currently unused I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter