Skipper Canteen - recent reviews?

Haven't been since September 2016 but I can tell you I absolutely loved it and I will definitely be making an ADR for it at my 180 day mark for my December 2018 trip.
Can't wait to go back to that restaurant!
I can't recall exactly what its called that I had but it was like Skip's beefy noodle..... something.
My sister got the steak.
We each tried a bite of each other's main dish and side dish and both were really good.

Ate there for lunch in March of this year. Forgot to take any pictures (except of the appetizer) but it was a good lunch. Loved the theming and the restaurant itself (and it's perfect for a break at lunch); the food wasn't my favorite but it wasn't bad, just little complaints like too little meat in my steak salad, or not loving the special Schweitzer Slush (flavors were just a bit...off. dunno). My friend loved her chicken (and the unexpected ginger taste). We both liked the Shu Mai appetizer.

And yes, definitely going back on my next trip. Worth a stop!
(Pic of the appetizer is in this post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...ip-march-2017-tr.3592763/page-2#post-57389107)

Thanks for the reviews! Would like to try it on a future trip. Even though the menu is a little adventurous for us, I see a few selections that we'd like. Are the servers "in character" like I previously read?

Thanks for the reviews! Would like to try it on a future trip. Even though the menu is a little adventurous for us, I see a few selections that we'd like. Are the servers "in character" like I previously read?

Not sure exactly what you mean by in character, but I thought so. Lots of corny jokes, just like the skippers on the Jungle Cruise, and pointing out lots of cool things about the restaurant.

Unfortunately wording scares people away.
The food really is not adventurous. Just made to SOUND that way.
I don't really see how steak and potato wedges or pasta, beef, and green beans are too crazy of foods.
Yes they are in character and punny.

We ate there for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! Probably the best food we've had in MK!

Not sure exactly what you mean by in character, but I thought so. Lots of corny jokes, just like the skippers on the Jungle Cruise, and pointing out lots of cool things about the restaurant.

Unfortunately wording scares people away.
The food really is not adventurous. Just made to SOUND that way.
I don't really see how steak and potato wedges or pasta, beef, and green beans are too crazy of foods.
Yes they are in character and punny.

Thanks! Yes I heard that the servers were like Jungle Cruise skippers making jokes, etc. Nice to hear about the menu! Feel better after hearing this!

I was there for an early dinner in early August. The food was very good. I went with my two sons who are 17 and 15. The 15 year old is a picky eater; he had the noodle bowl with duck. My other son had the beefy baked pasta, and I had the "Tastes like chicken because it is!" I think we each ate every bite of our meals!
The service was good--but I had heard there would be more sillyness and "antics" and was disappointed there really wasn't.

We are going again in January and have a lunch booked for that trip too!

I don't have a recent review but we enjoyed our meal there last year. We have it booked again for our upcoming trip!

I am looking at ADR options for lunch at MK. Any recent reviews?
Was the worst meal my wife and I have eaten in MK— maybe all of WDW.
Although Bongo’s may be worse. Food was lukewarm, bland and pretty disappointing. Tables were very close— so much so we couldn’t help but hear every word of the surrounding tables conversation!

We've eaten there twice. Our first time was right after it opened and they really didn't have it together. My food was very bland and it was an all around lackluster experience. I remember eating off of my son's plate a little because his kid's meal steak and dessert were better than mine. We tried it again this past August right before the first Halloween party and, boy, was there a massive improvement. The food was MUCH better, the server was friendly and animated and we could even hear some of the effects coming from an "office" above us. This is now our favorite TS in MK. We'll be back in December!

Was there last week - and we really enjoyed it! My husband had the noodle bowl with chicken (which is actually Pho) and he really loved it. It was perfect because it was light but filling. I had the layered pasta dish with the beef. It was good, but needed more flavor. The server suggested more sauce and that hit the spot. She mentioned that they are re-working the menu to remove some of the less popular dishes. Our server and all the staff were really accommodating and quick to make suggestions. I always appreciate that.

The food was something different and I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

I love it! The theming is great although a lot of the "antics" are server-dependent. Our first time, our waitress was great and really in character. The second time, our waiter was kind of a dud and not into the shtick at all. One thing I will say - the menu is the same for dinner and lunch and skews pretty pricey for much IMO. I prefer it for dinner for that reason. If you go for lunch, appetizers are a good option for something a little less expensive and overly filling. The dumplings are fantastic!

We really enjoyed our meals there the past few years...but the most recent time we went, the food was not as good. Not bad, just not really good. The shu mei (sp) was salty, the steak was different and not as good as the previous version, and the pork was just ok. It's a shame because we loved our meals on previous visits.

I am not a fan of Skipper's. The décor and theme are excellent. The antics of the waiters are a bit overboard for me. It is really dependent on the waiter delivery of the joke or story that makes it funny.

The real complaint is with the food and lack of choices. Most everything has spices of some sort in it and I found the portions to be small. Not sure if I would go back for another meal or not.

Was the worst meal my wife and I have eaten in MK— maybe all of WDW.
Although Bongo’s may be worse. Food was lukewarm, bland and pretty disappointing. Tables were very close— so much so we couldn’t help but hear every word of the surrounding tables conversation!

I agree with this %100.00. We were there in August and the food was extremely salty and the service was extremely slow (and I am not one to really care about that). If I were at a restaurant like Skippers at home I would have walked out, but my mother was nervous about getting in trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter