Sleep walking

Sabeking

DIS Veteran
Friday night was nuts! My dd’s had some friends spend the night who are sisters. The guests slept on our finished third floor bedroom. Around 4:30 am we heard a loud noise. It woke all of us up and my dd’s went to the third floor because it sounded like it was coming from there. The door to the unfinished attic was open and only one of the sisters was in bed in the finished portion. They turned the light on in the attic. Back in the unfinished attic on the rafters asleep was the oldest sister. To get there she had to climb over our air conditioning unit and over boxes, beams, etc...To top it off, in her sleep she had managed to step between the rafters and her foot went through our playroom ceiling. She slept through the whole thing. When we roused her; as expected she was pretty terrified and lost it a little. All I can say is thank God she didn’t totally go through the ceiling. If I knew how to post a picture of the ceiling I would. Any crazy sleep walking stories?

Wow! That's scary - glad she didn't hurt herself. Not really crazy, but my mother said she used to sleepwalk and was routinely found outside in front of their house staring up at the streetlight out front. They'd just walk her back and tuck her back in and that was the end of it.

When my son was little he used to sleep walk. When we heard him go downstairs and open the front door, we changed the deadbolt to one that uses a key so that he couldn't get out. (For fire safety we kept the key over the doorframe where he could not reach it.) Scared me when he went camping with the boy scouts that he would leave his tent.

When my DS was around 6 or 7, he would suddenly appear next to my bed in the middle of the night and start saying really random things. One time he said, "Ouch ouch ouch!" I said, "What's wrong? Does something hurt?" He said, "No. I'm hungry." I said, "You had dinner already and it's time to sleep." He said, "Oh yeah." His eyes were all glassy and it was clear he wasn't really awake, so I took him back to his bed. Another time, he came in and said, "Mommy, what do you want me to do?" I said, "Go back to bed." He said, "No, but, what do you want me to to do now?" I said, "I want you to go back to bed." I took him back. I told him about it the next morning and he said he had a dream that he was doing chores around the house and kept asking me what to do next. Maybe I should have put him to work instead of back to bed?:rotfl:

My SIL has gained a bunch of weight lately. Her other sister found her eating pie at 4AM and she wasn't even awake. She's been sleep eating. She says it must be her new medication.

My sister sleep bakes and sleep eats. Scary and dangerous. She sometimes wakes up in the morning to a big mess in her kitchen and doesn’t know how it happened.

My sister sleep-walked once that I can remember. We used to vacation in Clearwater Beach and the hotel we stayed at was multiple apartments. Once my sister and I got older (I was 15 and she was 13), we got our own studio across the hall from our parent's 1 bedroom. One night, my sister somehow managed to unlock our door and go to our parents' room and lay down on the couch and fall back asleep. Thank goodness for so many things, their door was unlocked, she didn't head for the pool or the back alley. It was so scary!

Scary indeed! I wonder if mom knows her child does that. One would think she could have prepared you.. so maybe you could have locked br door??
Glad all is ok with her, tragedy averted. Could have been worse than the hole.

DD(12) used to sleepwalk a lot at home. She'd walk out of her room, come out to the living room and go back to sleep on the couch, or we'd tell her to go back to bed. I built her a loft bed a year or so ago and the sleep walking stopped.

We were at World Center Marriott this past Christmas. If you've never seen it, this place is HUGE. One night, DW hears the door open and close. DD had walked out of our room and was heading down the hall when DW found her. I don't want to imagine what would have happened if DW wasn't a light sleeper. This was like 2am.

Our school system takes the students to Washington, D.C. in 8th grade. They stay in a block of rooms at a hotel, and hire a security guard to sit in the hall each night.The principal once said that it was worth every penny after the night the security guard nocked on his door after midnight, asked him to step into the hall, and pointed out a student who was clearly sleep walking. They guided him back to his room, and let his roommates know so they would be on the lookout as well. Kinda scary to think about where the kid might have wound up if they hadn't had someone watching.

My oldest sleepwalks - usually when he's upset or stressed about something. He's never done anything exciting like try to leave the house, thankfully. It's still kind of creepy, he looks wide awake but when you talk to him it's obvious he isn't all there.

Last time was a few months ago, I woke up and found him in our bedroom trying to turn on the light (he was hitting the wall about 1 foot away from the switch). When I asked what he was doing he said he needed to finish that thing I wanted. I told him to go back to bed, he said "ok," and that was it.

I used to sleep walk all the time as a kid- once woke up in the basement lying on the treadmill- my dad would hear me a lot and walk me back to bed- in the garage, in the kitchen, in the shower once.

I haven't walked in a long time but I do have full conversations while asleep- eyes open and all but I don't remember any of them. My husband likes to tell the story of the time he woke up at 3 am to me sitting up in bed, eyes open, staring at him. He asked if I was ok and I said "of course". He then pushed me back down and told me to close my eyes and I did. I don't remember any of that haha.

I recently served jury duty in a court with a quadriplegic judge; he's kind of famous because that is so unusual. Turns out he's been this way since HS, when he flipped over a 2d floor balcony and onto a staircase while sleepwalking (family had just moved to a new home.)

I've heard that in hotels it's best to have sleepwalkers use a rubber doorstop to lock themselves in; usually they won't remember to remove it :confused3

PS: Speaking of people who hold full conversations whilst asleep, I used to date a guy who did that. One memorable night I woke up to find him sitting up in bed looking around wildly; when I sat up to ask if he was OK, he snatched up my pillow, threw up all over it, then calmly handed it to me and went right back to sleep. Turns out he'd felt sick, and when I asked if he was OK, he thought he was a kid at home with his Mom checking on him, and that the pillow was a bucket that she had handed him. (I*never* let him forget that incident, of course.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter