slo’s FRIDAY 4/28 poll - Youth Sports

Youth Sports - What child do you support? (M.C.)

• My Sons)

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • My Daughters(s)

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • My Grandson(s)

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My Granddaughter(s)

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • My Niece(s)

• My Nephew(s)

• My Friend’s Child/Kids

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • A child I know, but the parents are not my friend (you could be a teacher, past coach or etc)

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I have no kids that I watch play a youth sport

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
I have a 14-year-old daughter that plays club volleyball and an 11-year-old daughter that plays club soccer.

There have been 17 weekends in 2023 so far, we have only been HOME for 2 of them. But summer is our slow season! I know that I will miss it, but I would welcome less travel. We are about 2 hours from most tournaments so it isn't terrible but the hotel rooms add up and I miss my bed!

That being said, I look forward to being their biggest cheerleader each and every game, it truly gives me joy and they seem to enjoy it!

Both of my kids play club soccer - year round, and one will be adding HS soccer this fall.

DS also runs track for school. It’s mostly just something to do, he doesn’t love it like soccer.

Additionally, I coach cheerleading which is up for debate whether you consider it a sport or not.

My girls all played volleyball, but the older two are in college and didn’t have any interest in continuing. My youngest is a sophomore in high school and plays for her school and also plays club. She also played soccer and lacrosse for years, but it got to be too much so she is down to just volleyball. I say just, but it is a year round sport with just a few slow weeks each year.

I also check out my nieces’ and my nephew’s games when I can. They all play(ed) soccer and my nephew also plays baseball and hockey. I recently heard one of my nieces is trying volleyball. They are younger and live close so I can watch youth sports for many more years.

Do you have any young athletes that you support in youth sports?
If yes….who are they?
Also, if you could post what sport they play, that would be great.
(multiple choice)

For Me…..I have my DD19 (college softball), my neighbor’s DD17 (HS softball), a friend’s DD17 (HS softball), friend‘s 12yr old daughters (travel softball) and that’s all for now. I have no nieces or nephews so my friend’s kids are the next best thing 🙂👍🏻
View attachment 756708
YES! My 8 yr old GS plays Hockey. He is currently doing a spring league and we have games to attend this SAT and SUN. GO VIPERS!!

I go to my nephew's hockey and baseball games when they are local.

HS hockey isn't much of a thing around here, so he travels a lot for it. I got to go to one home game this year. My parents travel to a lot of them. His private school has a hockey team and he plays for the local junior team for the Penguins farm team.

I've gotten to one of his baseball games this year. A lot of his games start when I'm at work and they are 45 - 60 minutes from me.

He is a very good hockey player and he is also the top scorer and has also gained the most outs against the other teams this year on his baseball team. He is a sophomore.

He is traveling in mid-May to a tournament that will have college scouts. I forget for which sport it is. He wants to go to Notre Dame. He'll go wherever he gets the bet deal and can play college sports. Hopefully, it will be D1.

DD was never interested in sports. She was a dancer, and by the time she was in 7th grade was in the dance studio four hours a day, five days a week, with at least half of that in ballet classes. Her weekends were taken up with rehearsals and company classes, so she was easily as busy as anyone on a sports team. The nice thing about having an arts-kid? Their "productions" are usually on specified weekends at specific times of the year (rather than a game or two every week), they are indoors (where it's dry and warm), and it's dark in theaters/at their performances (so if you fall asleep while watching, nobody knows, hahaha)! I guess all the dance training paid off, though. While not a full-time professional dancer, DD guests for companies when needed, choreographs for the local high school theatre departments and show choirs, and teaches ballet/point, jazz, and contemporary dance. Actually, she hasn't done much of this in the past two years since she went back to grad school but is looking forward to getting back into the dance world in the fall. (Graduation is this Friday- she'll receive her master's degree in social work- GO SARAH!!!)

My son & niece (both 10) are currently playing rec soccer together(it's so nice to be able to watch both at the same time!)
My son also plays football(both flag and tackle) and basketball

After coaching my daughter (23 now) for so many years, it's nice to sit back and watch now

My daughter played soccer from the time she was three. She did take a break and play baseball for two years, but when she was told she had to switch to softball she told them to stuff it and went back to soccer. She is graduating from college this year after being on scholarship as a goal keeper. I will really miss watching her play. Once I am established in my profession I plan to sponsor a little league soccer or co-ed baseball team.

I had to vote Other. My little Godson (he's turning four next month) plays flag football. I go to the games and they are hilarious-a bunch of three and four year-olds running the wrong way and falling over wearing helmets that are too big and heavy for their heads.

Not now. Both my DDs played field hockey in HS, one played lacrosse in HS and 2 years in college. We made a couple of trips to California to see her play in college. Other DD played Ultimate in college. (Ultimate will be eligible for the 2028 Olympics!)

Last edited:
With 4 kids, we had 22 consecutive years of at least one kid in one sport or band.

Our daughter turned out to be our most athletic kid! She is our youngest and played club, travel and high school soccer and then volleyball and tennis.
Her sports career was abruptly ended March 15th of 2020 when Covid shut everything down.

She was a keeper/goalie and was really good and fun to watch. We had planned travel games into the summer of senior year.

I never really had "closure" and the anticipation and excitement of knowing it was a final game and still mourn for that. After 4 kids, dh and I wanted and needed that final game and closure.

With 4 kids, we had 22 consecutive years of at least one kid in one sport or band.

Our daughter turned out to be our most athletic kid! She is our youngest and played club, travel and high school soccer and then volleyball and tennis.
Her sports career was abruptly ended March 15th of 2020 when Covid shut everything down.

She was a keeper/goalie and was really good and fun to watch. We had planned travel games into the summer of senior year.

I never really had "closure" and the anticipation and excitement of knowing it was a final game and still mourn for that. After 4 kids, dh and I wanted and needed that final game and closure.
I did and still really feel for those ‘20 seniors. As a mom who still has a few years of sports left, I know I’m going to miss it, and missing out on that closure has to have hurt.

Funny you should ask...
Four-year-old DGD just had her last T-ball practice and we watched it. She got a hit! lol
DD has her playing soccer, softball, taking tennis lessons, swim lessons and dance lessons.
I would have thought this is pure insanity, but this girl does need her energy channeled. She is literally the most energetic person I've ever known.

My kids are right in the heart of the age range but have no interest. I still support local youth sports, but do so now as youth hockey referee. When I lived in MN I also officiated youth softball, but only work adults now. Umpired a couple of my son's baseball games last year. When asked this year, they both replied they didn't want to play.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter