slo’s THURSDAY 2/22 poll - Birthday Cake Cinderella’s Castle

Birthday Cake Castle - What was/still is your opinion and how did you see it? (m.c.)

• I loved it ❤️

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • I liked it 🙂👍🏻

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • I sorta liked it👍🏻

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • I didn’t like 🙁👎🏻

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I hated it 😖👎🏻

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I hated it and it angered me 😡👎🏻

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I saw it at WDW

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • I saw it in pictures and/or videos only

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • This was before I was born - so pictures and/or videos only

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
It’s hard to believe that it’s been 27 years since the birthday cake castle. At the time I was 25yrs old and had been married for one year. The opinions about the birthday cake castle are many - some loved it, some hated it and some not only hated it but were also angry about it. Share with us today……

What was/still is your opinion of the birthday cake castle.
Did you see it at WDW or in pictures?
(multiple choice)

For Me……I loved it and still do. I didn't love it enough to want the castle to always look that way, but for one year during the 25th, I thought it was fun and creative. I do understand how people that have never been to WDW before, and it may be their only trip, were annoyed by the castle - they wanted to see the castle in its original state. But for me I give it 👍🏻👍🏻

IMG_3017.jpeg

I sorta liked it. I appreciated how out of the box and different it was. I didn’t see it in person.

I can understand those who were so excited to finally visit WDW (for many it’s a one and done experience) and felt crushed that their iconic photo in front of the castle was made into a cartoon. I do feel for those individuals.

I didn’t like it at the time matter fact I hated it I seen it in person matter fact I believe I seen it a couple times in person
over the years and I can’t believe it’s been that many years I’ve come to accept it maybe even come around to think it looks kinda cute But back then I absolutely hated it I couldn’t believe what they did to the castle I thought it looked really tacky and tasteless
I didn’t like them messing with Epcot I don’t like them messing with the castle I don’t know what it is I just like things to be how they originally were authentic I don’t enjoy them changing the parks takes me a while to get used to it and come around to it but that’s just me

I just missed it by a few months. I was living in Florida when it was unveiled and remember the news coverage, but my only trip to MK in 1996 was earlier in the year. I returned in 1998, but it was several months after the cake was removed. I believe it was up from 10/96-1/98. My visits were 5/96 and 6/98. I wish I’d just driven to see it on my own before moving out of state in 97 but funds were tight and I didn’t have any Disney loving friends at the time.

Ultimately, I didn’t hate it and thought it was kind of novel. I really wish I could have seen Stitch’s makeover in person.

Reactions: slo
It’s hard to believe that it’s been 27 years since the birthday cake castle. At the time I was 25yrs old and had been married for one year. The opinions about the birthday cake castle are many - some loved it, some hated it and some not only hated it but were also angry about it. Share with us today……

What was/still is your opinion of the birthday cake castle.
Did you see it at WDW or in pictures?
(multiple choice)

For Me……I loved it and still do. I didn't love it enough to want the castle to always look that way, but for one year during the 25th, I thought it was fun and creative. I do understand how people that have never been to WDW before, and it may be their only trip, were annoyed by the castle - they wanted to see the castle in its original state. But for me I give it 👍🏻👍🏻

View attachment 835907
I hated it. So did the kids.

Did not see it in person, but did think it was a bit over the top. Other castle interpretations over the years have been more appealing to me. I did like the Christmas Season castle lights over a number of years. The current projections that are done are neat, interesting but sometimes I think overdone.

We saw it and it was a very impressive change to the castle. But it seems to me that it was decorated as a cake for more than a year because we saw it for two trips. I marked that I hated it because it seemed so tacky. ;)

Reactions: slo
I voted "I sorta liked it" - I'm not really drawn to it as a piece of art, but I have a soft spot for it because that's how it was during my first trip (of many). They did leave a small "classic" bit to take pics with, if I remember correctly.

Edited to add - found some pics from an old scrapbook:
1708605886673.png
This would have been May of 1997.

• Love
Reactions: GAN
I sorta liked it. It was a lot to take in, for sure, not surprisingly my daughter loved it. My oldest was turning 4 and my wife was pregnant with our second at the time of the trip, which is why it was so memorable. I think I have some video of it somewhere... 🤔

I hated it and it angered me. Imagine the people who dreamed to go to WDW for perhaps once in their lives, and they're faced with that abomination. The ultimate Disney icon and they desecrate it with that???

I don't like to say I hate something, but this was close. I really didn't like it! Neither did our family. It just wasn't, well, the castle. That castle is iconic, and that 'cake' decoration was not iconic..... It was more like Dr Seuss land at Universal....

I liked it, but I was about 10 at the time. I didn't see it in person, but my parents did.

I saw it in person. I really didn't have any feelings about it one way or the other. I guess when you go often and see the Castle in so many different ways, you just get used to it and know it will change again.

I voted hated it but it was more that I disliked it. We went during the 25th anniversary and it just looked so gaudy to me. I think it just took away the magical feeling you get when you come out of the tunnel and head down Main St looking at the castle.

To add to this, I think they did an amazing job with the castle for the 50th. We went on our big family trip and I thought the castle looked amazing.

The castle was not in cake mode during our honeymoon July 96. I liked it, but then you have to factor that my girl scout days...we had cookie castle making display for an event....Aladdin theme.

I only saw it in pictures and seems fine but without seeing it in person really can’t comment.

So weird what your memory does to you. I would've sworn I'd seen it in person and that it was nice. Then I scrolled and saw the picture -- realized I'd never seen it either in person or in pictures. Doh.

Must be my Cinderella's Castle gingerbread ornament. Sigh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter