slo’s THURSDAY 3/21 poll - Saving Coins 💰

Saving Coins. Do you do it, how often do you trade them in and who counts the coins? (m.c.)

• Yes - I save coins

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • No - I don’t save coins

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I used to save coins

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I trade them for cash once a year or more

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I trade them for cash once every 2-5 years

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Other for trading them for cash (please post how often)

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I count the coins and roll them

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I use a coin counter

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • I don’t pay anything with cash so I have no coins

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
I don't save coins anymore, CC always. When I used cash, I put pennies in a jar. Still have them on shelf.

We still have a 'piggy bank' of sorts that any loose change goes into. Like others, we don't end up with that much change lately. We haven't rolled coins forever now - last time we just took the change to Coinstar, and like another poster mentioned, Amazon GC is a no fee transaction, so we go that route.

We used to fill up one of those big 5 gallon water jugs and then go cash it in. Since covid, we rarely have cash(except to put it in our vacation savings binder) so we haven't done that in a while

We have done a few different things. Years ago, DH used to roll them himself and take them to the bank. The last time was a few years ago and I did the Amazon gift card at the coon machine at the grocery store. It’s been a few years and I don’t think we have a lot of coins.

I have a flip top growler I throw coins in. I rarely use cash anymore but if I do the coins will go in there. I usually go to coin star and reload my Starbucks card (for free) with them. I generally do this before my annual birthday vacation. I didn’t go on a vacation last year so I have two years worth of coins accumulated. There is probably about 3 drinks worth in there now.

We used to save all our coins in an old coffee can, when our children were little ones, and cash them in when we went to WDW. That was back in the day before debit cards and coin counters. You had to count them out and roll the coins in the coin rollers. It became a game in our house where all change went in the Disney can. There were a few time we had over $600 worth of coins over a two year period. Back then in the late 1980's/early 1990's that was almost all the spending money you needed!!

Now if I use cash, the leftover coins go in my car to pay for parking meters.

My husband routinely throws his coins into a bowl. I routinely dig into the bowl to get change to use when making cash purchases. More vendors are charging a fee for using a credit card and I don't like fees. ;)

I've used the coin counting machine at the grocery store to turn the change into a gift card. I've also used the coin counting machine at the bank to turn the coins into cash. Both methods do it for free - no service charge.

We save coins, and I roll them maybe once a year (usually when there is a Disney trip on the immediate horizon), considering it "found money." Having said that, as DH and I rarely use cash, there isn't as much money in that jar as there used to be! We save all our bottle return money for vacation-cash, too.

Save current coins to use at our local library for photocopying and printing. I do have a small collection of memorabilia coins.

We have an empty wine carafe to throw loose change in. About once a year we bring it to our bank and its coin counting machine. No charge for account holders.

I used to save quarters. I would save them all year to use in the laundry at the campground when we went for the summer. Other coins would collect in my wallet until it was too full and then I'd make the conscious effort to use them up. Usually it's just easier to pay with bills and accept the change.

I don't 'save' coins as in keeping them thinking they are somehow rare/valuable. Have one of those coin counter things and toss the loose change in there to be sorted. Maybe once a year take the rolled coins to the bank. You can't use the drive-up lane for exchanging coins since they can get caught in those pneumatic tubes. Have to go into the bank which I rarely have a need to do.

I do save coins, yes. I save every bit of change I get, and when it comes time to go to WDW, my sister (who also saves coins) and I cash them in and use the cash for tipping.

We save our coins, but usually they are pilfered for quarters for car washes or air for tires.

The container is pretty full. I should have one of my kids take this to the bank to have the coins counted.

We will toss coins in a container and use them in Easter egg hunts or for paying grandkids for doing some chore. We don’t make it a mission of collecting coins, they just show up now and again.

By the way, as far as paying kids for doing chores, I go back and forth. I believe, I’m their grandma, they should be thrilled to help. On the other hand, I know they always have an item they are saving for. Of course the chores that I can pay with coins are small, but money is money. So there are times I ask them to do something and they get a thank you. Other times they get a thank you and a few dollars.

Yes I do save coins. A couple of the mom and pop restaurants we frequent are either cash only, prefer cash, or charge for card purchases. And I try and pay in exact change and those places really seem to appreciate that.
And I only buy Lottery tickets with cash, usually coins.
Beyond that, I have quite a few "collectable" coins. My dad bought 200 uncirculated Kennedy half dollars when they first came out in 1964, those are in my safe deposit box. I have lots of Silver Dollars, along with Silver Certificate Dollar bills, and $2 bills. Although the $2 bills may not be collectible, they are rare despite still being printed.

Yes I do save coins. A couple of the mom and pop restaurants we frequent are either cash only, prefer cash, or charge for card purchases. And I try and pay in exact change and those places really seem to appreciate that.
And I only buy Lottery tickets with cash, usually coins.
Beyond that, I have quite a few "collectable" coins. My dad bought 200 uncirculated Kennedy half dollars when they first came out in 1964, those are in my safe deposit box. I have lots of Silver Dollars, along with Silver Certificate Dollar bills, and $2 bills. Although the $2 bills may not be collectible, they are rare despite still being printed.
I have some of those also.
Letting my kids look through them all and take what they want.

Yes I save coins. It's less lately as using cash less and less. I've just saved around the house. I do need a new container. In the past once it was full I'd roll and then keep the rolls until the roll container was full or when I could use the roll somewhere. Usually it could be 5 -10 years before I do anything with the rolls.

Yes, about once a year or so trade them in at stop and shop for an Amazon gift card. One of our kids lives in Boston fir grad school, apparently Boston banks do not have quarters, my daughters apartment building has washers/dryers that don’t take credit cards, laundromats require you use theirs if you use the change machine, so now I automatically set aside quarters for her (some parents mail them to their kids).

I save any coins I get. Our great-granddaughter belongs to an after school group at her high school that is always collecting something to help the underserved members of our community in some way. She gets all of our spare
change and then some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter