• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Slumming at the Poly and shut out at 11 months with MS!

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
We've been down here for a week now. We stayed offsite at Vacation Village at Parkway (just off 192 and I-4) with an exchanged week. We had a 1BR - about 1100 sq feet - very much like OKW. Our Owners Locker was again waiting and we were able to really pack lite for this trip.

Yesterday we moved over to the Poly (Concierge) for our last 2 nites before returning home tomorrow. We have dinner at CA Grille this evening and I will post some photos of the ongoing CR construction taken from the 14th floor observation deck. Structural walls are now going up and the circular shape is beginning to be more obvious.

On Monday I began making reservations for HH for next July. We wanted a GV and I was able to get a cash nite (with DVC discount) for the Saturday night right at 11 months. On Tuesday I was able to get a GV for the Sunday nite of our trip and also let MS know I would be calling daily so they could hold the confirmation letter. On Wednesday I was able to add the Monday nite in the GV - so at this point we had Sat/Sun/Mon all linked together.

On Thursday, I called right at 9:00am to add the next night we wanted - except that this nite needed to be made from another contract. By 9:02am all 5 of the GVs were gone for that day. :( :(

I reserved a 2BR and a 1BR for that nite and am now on the waitlist for that one day of our trip. Yesterday and again today I was able to reserve the GV for the last 2 nites of our trip. So, at this point we have 3 nites in the GV, need to move out for 1 nite and then follow up with 2 more nites back in the GV. I am confident that the waitlist will work and am satisfied that we have a reasonable alternative if it doesn't, but found the non-availability frustrating - especially since it was exactly 11 months right when MS opened at 9:00am.

Anyway, the weather has been very hot and humid all week but almost no rain (2 - 10 minute late afternoon showers). Parks were reasonably busy this week, but not terrible.

We're certainly not ready to return to the real world tomorrow but take some comfort that we only have 4 weeks until our next trip! ;)

I can't wait to see the construction pictures. I was there for the last 2 weeks of July and it looked like they were drilling holes for what I assume would be pilings.

Enjoy the last two nights of your trip and good luck with the waitlist.

We were there from 8/2-9 and I got one picture from the boat From Fort Wilderness. You can see the pilings going up in it, even though it is not a good angle.

43contemporaryconstruction.jpg

I am sorry to hear that at 11 months out day by day you were unable to get all the days that you wanted, and I hope the waitlist works.

Enjoy the last days of what sounds like a great vacation.

Bobbi:goodvibes

boy I knew the GV were popular but that Popular especially in the summer.

when HH is most expensive - that is a surprise.

I am sure that your Grand Villa waitlist will come through. Back in 2006 we were waitlisted at the 7 month mark for a Grand Villa over the 4th of July and it came through about 5 months before our trip. You will love the extra space.

Rob, I am not as optimistic as some here seem to be. I suspect you've considered it but if you don't want to move units and have enough points available, you might consider booking the smaller units for the entire time or one leg as well. That way if you don't get the GV on the wait list you would either not have to move or only have to move once depending on specifics. I hope it does come through for you.

boy I knew the GV were popular but that Popular especially in the summer.

when HH is most expensive - that is a surprise.
I tried to change one of my Marriott weeks from week 27 (week after the 4th) to either the next week or the week after that. I had made them originally using the 13 month priority in May. Calling the first day at opening exactly 12 months out for each week nothing was available at Grande Ocean either ocean front or ocean side for either week. That time in HH is so popular that I've invested $65K overall to be able to get the weeks I want with Marriott using the 13 month window. I generally go 4th of July or the week after (or both) but only go about EOY thus I also want the best weeks to rent out off years.

The way I always look at it as a game of poker. You probably have some nights that someone else would like so the first one to flinch loses out. I would out for a while to see what happens but I am a risktaker.

Hi Doc! Thanks for sharing your mini trip report with us! I am glad you have had a nice time down at WDW at your timeshare. I have not stayed at the Poly but I am sure it is fantastic!

Hope your waitlist comes through sooner than later for you at HH. I didn't realize that they only have 5 GV's there.

Enjoy the last couple of vacation days!

What a bummer....I hope the waitlist comes through....
Heres some pixiepixiedust: :goodvibes

I'm heading down to WDW on wed.....

Are the pools refreshing at all?
Thanks
Kerri

Ah, the Hawaii longhouse at the Polynesian.:love: Isn't it wonderful?!

Good luck with HH.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Not good news. I also tried for a GV a couple weeks back, that the exact 11 month window about the same time in the morning and was told they were already gone. There must be some trick to this I'm not thinking of, as calling first thing in the morning isn't enough.

Trying for another week now. I won't say which one, for fear of someone else getting in before us. :upsidedow

If the waitlist doesn't come through, the idea of packing up and moving out is going to be a tough one to swallow.

I hope your waitlist comes through and you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Please explain the fact that this lost day was gotten from another contract. Do you own different UY and HH and somehow that came into the mix?

Please explain the fact that this lost day was gotten from another contract. Do you own different UY and HH and somehow that came into the mix?

Yes, we have 2 HH contracts. Our first was an add-on to our original OKW contract and the 2nd was a resale purchase a couple odf years later. One has a Feb UY and was used for the first two nites on points. The other nites are from the June UY. It tool about 2 minutes to have the CM find the nites already reserved and then start the process using the 2nd contract and in the meantime all of the GVs were gone.
We'll be fine even if the waitlist doesn't come thru - even though it will be inconvenient.
This was no ones fault however - it is the way the system works. It is what it is. :(

Doc,
I guess one would be better off not even mentioning the previous nights, just starting a new one and then just linking the reservations if 2 minutes makes that big of a difference. Yikes!

Slumming at the Poly in concierge? :) Well, that is not too shabby.

Safe travels home.

Well you should at least be #1 on the waitlist if done 2 minutes into the day.GL
Possibly but not necessarily. It depends on how many other people were calling at the same time and how fast the CM was getting them on the wait list.

Last Nov we spent a week at the Poly Club Level. 3rd floor. Great view of the castle, the Grand, and our new home, VWL. The lounge is something I will miss this year!! Hope all works out for you for that GV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter