small world ~ big problems

cavecricket

Disney Bride -to- Wife / DIsney Mom to be! July 4t
FYI:
I was pretty bummed when we went to MK and small world was closed....after waiting in line for and hour and 20 minutes for peter pan a cast member enlightened me on the reason for the shut down.....originally they had problems with the audio so they were going to close for a couple days to get new equiptment however, while in the ceilings they discovered asbestos so the ride will not be opening for quite some time (according to jeff at peter pan)
he also told me Peter Pan is next so make sure you wait in the long hot lines for it, you never know what they might change

:earsgirl:

Small World has been closed for several months now. It's going to be down abt a year.

Didn't know abt the asbestos, thought it was a general rehab. It really need a rehab.

wow that long already?
i really like that ride , oh well we will catch it next year i hope!!!
thanks for the info !!!

Small World was scheduled for a major overhaul. Not sure if Jeff got his information confused. Small World was closed on May 2 and is due to reopen in the Spring of 2005. Yes they are removiong asbestos BUT it was not discovered accidentally in the course of a minor rehab. The closure of Small World had been planned for over a year. They are redoing the interior of the ride as well as the outside, they are adding a huge stroller parking area (where the old Skyway entrance used to be) and doing a big "Spring Cleaning". Just wanted to clarify that this was a planned rehab and not an "oops we need to fix that"
:jester:

LibertyBelle is correct -- Small World rehab was scheduled for quite some time, and it was scheduled to be closed for just under a year to complete it. They did not shut down for a couple of days to add speakers and then find other things wrong. The rehab includes: refreshing and redressing all of the dolls, updating the lighting and audio, redoing the boats and boating track, refurbishing the building (internally and externally), resetting the queue, and possibly adding a few surprises here and there, among other smaller mechanical and cosmetic things. Jeff at Peter Pan seems to have simplified the whole process quite a bit!

:earsboy:

I wanted to add that I had heard that a major overhaul was planned before it even closed for rehab, so it certainly wasn't a quick job that turned into a long rehab.
Also, I would expect them to find asbestos in the ceiling of a building the age of any of the original WDW buildings. Asbestos didn't become a big concern in building supplies until well after WDW opened. It was a common ingredient in insulation, fireproofing, shingles and acoustical ceiling tiles until the early 1980s. A lot of buildings have asbestos in them and unless it is damaged or disturbed, it is not a health hazard.

Does anyone know more precisely when Small World will re-open? I know it's supposed to be Spring 2005; we will be there in early March. Any hope for us that we'll get to ride the new-and-improved Small World??

I think you were a bit mislead by the CM you spoke to. They knew asbestos was in there when they planned the MAJOR overhaul, and put out word long ago that it was going to take a long time and be closed for a long time. It needed it. And asbestos is expected in a building that old. They are doing lots of changes and maintenance to it. I'm glad - I hope it brings it back to it's former glory.

I'm sorry you were disappointed.

Well, that figures - we will be there March 6-11! Guess we will miss it :( ......unless they finish ahead of schedule!

im sorry guys i wasnt bad-mouthing the ride, right before i left for vaca i checked to see what would be closed and i didnt see anything about small world so naturally i was super shocked!!! thanks for the updated info!!! i will catch it next year!!!

does anyone know if jeff was right about peter pan being in line for a major renovation too????

thanks again

:earsboy:

It could use it. At the very least, they could clean the litter out of the volcano cone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter