Smokejumpers Grill - Jackfruit Sandwich

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
I noticed that Smokejumpers Grill has removed their normal vegetarian burger (boo) and replaced it with a BBQ jackfruit sandwich.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how was it?

Also, is there another place besides Carnation Cafe to get a veggie burger now? Really dissapointed they took that option away.

We had this in January. It was pretty good I guess. I'd never had Jackfruit before and the texture is interesting. My husband was not interested in eating there on our last visit.

Hungry Bear still has a veggie patty. It's okay. Not sure why Smoke Jumpers can't carry one. Would it kill them to have 2 vegetarian options?

We had this in January. It was pretty good I guess. I'd never had Jackfruit before and the texture is interesting. My husband was not interested in eating there on our last visit.

Hungry Bear still has a veggie patty. It's okay. Not sure why Smoke Jumpers can't carry one. Would it kill them to have 2 vegetarian options?
I know! It's not like having frozen veggie burgers on hand would really be that difficult. Maybe we will give the jackfuit a try if we feel adventurous.

Wow, I never knew Hungry Bear had a veggie patty! I've always wanted to eat there since it seems like a nice open space that would be a good break from the crowds, but didn't think they had anything veggie friendly. Thanks!

I know! It's not like having frozen veggie burgers on hand would really be that difficult. Maybe we will give the jackfuit a try if we feel adventurous.

Wow, I never knew Hungry Bear had a veggie patty! I've always wanted to eat there since it seems like a nice open space that would be a good break from the crowds, but didn't think they had anything veggie friendly. Thanks!
They used to have the fried green tomato sandwich. I think the veggie patty showed up sometime after they removed the tomato sandwich. I have found that the restaurants at Disney tend to have one veggie option on the menu.

I didn't know this either! We skipped Hungry Bear last time because the fried green tomato sandwich was no longer on the menu, and the menu doesn't show any vegetarian options. Why can't they at least list the vegetarian options on the menu? Why have the veggie burger option and not let anyone know it is there? So odd.

I was wondering if Hungry Bear had a veggie burger option because it doesn't show on the menu. Was thinking of getting the Fantasmic meal but the reviews for the special menu are meh.

I haven't tried the Jackfruit sandwich yet but hubby & I are planning on trying it next month! I've never had jackfruit because I'd like to try it prepared by someone else before I try to make it at home. SO we'll see!

Last edited:

I’ve had it, wasn’t too impressed. The sauce was extremely salty and they used too much sauce (like, 50% more sauce than was needed), so the bun was saturated and soggy and it dripped all over the place.

If I need a vegan/veggie meal in that vicinity I prefer to pop over to Whitewater Snacks just past security inside the Grand Californian Hotel. They have a nice (vegan) Gardenburger Malibu burger which they cook on a griddle or something so it is nice and crispy (not soggy and limp like you sometimes get when places just microwave a frozen burger). The chefs I’ve talked to there were really veg friendly & extremely accommodating.

Yeah, you have to go through security again to re-enter the park, but I think it’s worth it for the better burger and a more relaxing ambiance, and my non veg friends like the pizza options there, so it’s win-win for all of us.

~Meg

If you are on facebook, there are disney vegetarian/vegan groups where anythng added to any of the menus are photgraphed and reviewed quite quickly...

Also, if you are on Instagram there are some good accounts with info there too—I follow the following vegans on there for either their detailed reviews/how to veganize instructions or info on new options: @happiestveganonearth (she has lots of info and shares in her Instagram stories, too), @runningturtledisney, @veganatdisneyland.

Thanks everyone! I do use Facebook sometimes... but more so on Instragram. I think I'll check out some of the above suggestions. I forgot about White Water Snacks but have had that patty too. It was really good and I like the ambiance.

While the jackfruit sounds interesting, I like the option of having more protein with a veggie patty (jackfruit doesn't have very much protein). Also, I was VERY dissapointed with the cauliflower sandwich at Red Rose Taverne, so I'm just a bit hesitant with these new types of veggie items.

While the jackfruit sounds interesting, I like the option of having more protein with a veggie patty (jackfruit doesn't have very much protein). Also, I was VERY dissapointed with the cauliflower sandwich at Red Rose Taverne, so I'm just a bit hesitant with these new types of veggie items.

That's a good point about the protein. I do focus on having protein with my meals at home.

I really liked the cauliflower sandwich at Red Rose Taverne, but I've only had it once. It may have been the novelty of a new veggie sandwich offering. Another thing I do really like is the Veggie Wrap at Galatic Grill.

Worth giving the vegan ones a follow, they usually state what they have removed to make something vegan... I follow Disney Vegans, Vegan cruises/resort/Disney Vacations and Vegan Disneyland...

On Instagram I follow @disneyforvegans @vegandisneyvacations @happiestveganonearth @veganatdisneyland @vegandisneyfood @veganmalory

I really liked the cauliflower sandwich at Red Rose Taverne, but I've only had it once. It may have been the novelty of a new veggie sandwich offering. Another thing I do really like is the Veggie Wrap at Galatic Grill.
Maybe ours was just really bad? It was like the cauliflower was almost uncooked, the slab was very thick. I did like the fried green beans on it though.

Worth giving the vegan ones a follow, they usually state what they have removed to make something vegan... I follow Disney Vegans, Vegan cruises/resort/Disney Vacations and Vegan Disneyland...

On Instagram I follow @disneyforvegans @vegandisneyvacations @happiestveganonearth @veganatdisneyland @vegandisneyfood @veganmalory

Cool, thank you!

On IG I suggest @vegetariandisney for the vegetarians. :earsgirl:

I’ve had it, wasn’t too impressed. The sauce was extremely salty and they used too much sauce (like, 50% more sauce than was needed), so the bun was saturated and soggy and it dripped all over the place.

If I need a vegan/veggie meal in that vicinity I prefer to pop over to Whitewater Snacks just past security inside the Grand Californian Hotel. They have a nice (vegan) Gardenburger Malibu burger which they cook on a griddle or something so it is nice and crispy (not soggy and limp like you sometimes get when places just microwave a frozen burger). The chefs I’ve talked to there were really veg friendly & extremely accommodating.

Yeah, you have to go through security again to re-enter the park, but I think it’s worth it for the better burger and a more relaxing ambiance, and my non veg friends like the pizza options there, so it’s win-win for all of us.

~Meg
Thanks. We've never eaten at Whitewater. Do they have any good options for kids? Now I can't remember what my kids are when we had the Jackfruit as they don't eat meat either. I think I might have ordered them burgers with no pattie so they just had bread and cheese with veggies.

Thanks. We've never eaten at Whitewater. Do they have any good options for kids? Now I can't remember what my kids are when we had the Jackfruit as they don't eat meat either. I think I might have ordered them burgers with no pattie so they just had bread and cheese with veggies.

I don’t have kids—and I didn’t look at the menu too closely as I knew, from previous posts on the boards, that the veggie burger I wanted wasn’t listed on the menu—so I can’t speak from personal experience, but the last time I ate there we sat a table over from a family with kids who REALLY seemed to be loving the pizzas and some fries, so possibly that might be of interest? Here’s the Whitewater Snacks menu URL, just be aware that not everything that is available there is listed here:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/white-water-snacks/menus/

Looks like they have a few kids menu items on that list...worth checking out to see if any of those would work—and if the kids eat vegetarian or vegan, it might be worthwhile to ask to speak with the chef, see what they could offer.

I don’t have kids—and I didn’t look at the menu too closely as I knew, from previous posts on the boards, that the veggie burger I wanted wasn’t listed on the menu—so I can’t speak from personal experience, but the last time I ate there we sat a table over from a family with kids who REALLY seemed to be loving the pizzas and some fries, so possibly that might be of interest? Here’s the Whitewater Snacks menu URL, just be aware that not everything that is available there is listed here:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/white-water-snacks/menus/

Looks like they have a few kids menu items on that list...worth checking out to see if any of those would work—and if the kids eat vegetarian or vegan, it might be worthwhile to ask to speak with the chef, see what they could offer.

Thank you. Looks like they have grilled cheese. That is probably what they had at Smoke Jumpers now that I think about it. They also have whole pizzas cheaper than in the parks, but still more expensive than a pizza somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter