Smoking issue. Crises averted, magic restored

LynnH

Earning My Ears
Checked into our ground floor studio room at SSR and immediately smelled cigarette smoke. I attributed it to a rainy night and people standing under covered area near our door. However, I never actually saw anyone. In the morning, our bathroom reeked of smoke. Here’s the magic. I called the front desk and reported the problem. A manager called back and within 10 minutes we were reassigned to a different room. This meant packing and moving our stuff so the manager added 3 extra fast passes onto our day. My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and he NEVER smoked, so he has to be careful with air quality. This may have been our last trip to Disney together since he was only given three to six months to live. I am very grateful to the manager who resolved our situation.

I'm so sorry for that. You needed that trip to be flawless from start to end and smoke in my opinion is one of the worst case scenarios you could have encountered. 3 fast passes is nice, but did they offer assistance to pack you up and move you without having to do it all, and a trip to the front desk, on your own? It just seems to fall a little short of what they could have done for you in my opinion.

We had a similar issue, only with noise coming from the grand villa above us at Kidani. They also offered to move us (even further down the hall) but unfortunately we had already done our grocery shopping, put it all away and had unpacked otherwise. I had confidence that a few words from Disney security would quiet the screaming, stomping and tossing of stools around. Apparently Disney is good about offering to move folks, but nt so good about confronting those causing the problems. (The blasted noise continued on from 6:30 am through midnight throughout our entire stay, regardless of asking them to send someone to quiet them down.)

Last edited:
Checked into our ground floor studio room at SSR and immediately smelled cigarette smoke. I attributed it to a rainy night and people standing under covered area near our door. However, I never actually saw anyone. In the morning, our bathroom reeked of smoke. Here’s the magic. I called the front desk and reported the problem. A manager called back and within 10 minutes we were reassigned to a different room. This meant packing and moving our stuff so the manager added 3 extra fast passes onto our day. My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and he NEVER smoked, so he has to be careful with air quality. This may have been our last trip to Disney together since he was only given three to six months to live. I am very grateful to the manager who resolved our situation.
I am so sorry about your husband! I grew up with smoking parents and despise cigarette smoke and would have needed to move for sure. I worry about myself sometimes.. I have seen ads about people getting cancer from 2nd hand smoke... do they know what may have caused his? So very sorry... KIM

Sorry about your husband's prognosis, lung cancer and he never smoked is a real eye opener as well as being very sad. I am glad that DVC came through for you on the room as well. Take care.

I smoke. But what you encountered was TOTALLY wrong. EVERY DVC has designated Smoking Areas. Those of us that care STICK to these.
I think (I hope?) that SSR went further, and BUSTED the inconsiderate DOG that violated SSR rules by NOT going to a DSL.

I know - sounds funny. But responsible people that DO smoke know damn good and well to NOT inflict what we do to others.

Smokers like to use the bathrooms in hotels. They think the fan will pull the smoke out. I stayed at a Hilton last month and as soon as the bathroom got a little steamy from the shower it smelled like cigarette smoke.

This happened to us once at OKW where the room REEKED of smoke whem we checked in. Fortunately, like OP the front desk made it right and moved us to a new room immediately. Its hard to believe people can be so inconsiderate to not step outside to indulge their habit, especially at a resort like OKW where you can step right outside your room door and be in FL where its never biting cold.

We had the same scenario at SSR our last trip there. Im glad they were able to get your issue resolved. And I will pray for you and your DH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter