So Cal residents or frequent visitors question

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
We are going down to So Cal in December to see the Rose Parade. We are coming down early and going to Universal for 2 days and my daughter's birthday happens to be on New Year's eve and of course we will be down at that time.

Does anyone know of a fun place for a soon to be 7 year old to go have dinner and celebrate her birthday (keeping in mind it will be New Year's eve so I am sure we will have to worry about crowds etc).

We usually do a big kids party but since we are taking this trip all our cash is going to that this year so I wanted to do something special other than just going to say a chain restaurant.

We will be staying at the Hilton Burbank Airport and we will have gone to Universal on Friday and Saturday so will probably eat at City Walk those two nights.

Thanks in advance for any help. :goodvibes

Haven't been to Universal Citywalk in several years but there was this one place that had a Wizard show near the theatres. Kids loves that show.

Too bad you are not going to be at Disneyland because they have a place called Goofy's Kitchen where the characters will come out to greet the birthday girl or boy. Goofy's Kitchen can be pricey.

Hmmm - you might try seeing a movie at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood, and then going to the Disney Soda Shop next door.

I also like the restaurants along the coast - Gladstones (Sunset Blvd & PCH) is a pretty famous restaurant - drive on Sunset Blvd until it hits the ocean and Gladstones will be right in front of you. There's also Tony's in Redondo Beach, but that's a little distance from where you will be.

Do you have reserved seating for the Rose Parade, or are you planning on getting there in the wee hours of the morning to see it?

Thanks for the tip. How far is El Cap from Universal area?

As far as the Rose Parade goes we have a friend in the marine corps who got us in as vip's last year. My husband is an Iraqi Freedom vet. There is a marine base at the end of the route and we get to park on post and watch the parade from a special viewing area they set up.

Last year we did it for the first time ever and it poured as you probably know if you live down in the area. So we are going to try it one more time.

Last year we drove down on New Year's day in all that pouring rain and he is stationed at Port Hueneme in Oxnard so we had to get up at 3 to drive to pasadena and then we had to be on the base by 7 and the parade didn't even get down to where we were until like 10. It was a big mess but since that was the first time in 50 years we are hoping for better stakes this time.

We are driving down on Thursday and staying through Tuesday this time. We are going to Universal Friday and Saturday and hope to go to where they are building the floats on the morning of the 31st and then we have the afternoon and evening to celebrate my daughter's birthday.

Last year we had to drive back right after the parade too so it was NUTS. This time we have allowed ourselves like 5 days so I am praying that it goes better this time.

Any other suggestions for fun stuff to do while we are down there? We probably won't drive too far south but would consider driving across to the beach or somewhere in that general area.

Thanks again for suggesting the El Cap. I think that soda place would be fun!!

kelmac284 said:
Thanks for the tip. How far is El Cap from Universal area?

Last year we had to drive back right after the parade too so it was NUTS. Any other suggestions for fun stuff to do while we are down there? We probably won't drive too far south but would consider driving across to the beach or somewhere in that general area.

Thanks again for suggesting the El Cap. I think that soda place would be fun!!

The El Capitan is not too far from where you'll be.

The fastest way if you were going on the same day you'd be doing Universal would be to take the subway from Universal to the Hollywood and Highland stop (one stop away), but since you're not going from Universal....

From the Hilton Burbank Airport... the fastest way would be to take I-5 south to the Los Feliz Blvd exit (it's #141, but you can't really see the exit numbers that well) Head west on Los Feliz until it turns into Western Ave. (on Western you'll be heading south), go a few blocks, then turn right on Hollywood Blvd. travel down a bit, past all the historic sites (that look an awful lot like the entrance plaza of Disney MGM Studios ;) ) until you get to Highland Ave. turn right on Highland, then left into the parking garage (Johnny Grant Way) You'll be parking under the Hollywood and Highland plaza (where the Elephant plaza and the Kodak theater were the Oscars happen, and next to the Grauman's Chinese theater). Keep your parking ticket with you, go up the escalators to the main level and across the street, where you can't miss the El Cap. There's a place in the theater to get your parking ticket validated so you can save a few bucks on parking.

Check out some of the other threads on this page about the El Cap for more info.

Also in that area, you can put your hands and feet in the handprints at Graumans. You can check out some of the Hollywood museums in the immediate area of the El Cap. You can eat at Mel's Diner for great burgers and shakes (it's practically next door to the El Cap...I've posted more about it in other threads about El Cap). You can take a celebrity homes tour that takes off from in front of Graumans (there's a ticket booth in front of the Elephant plaza and in front of Graumans - tucked in a corner). You can do most of this stuff in a single day (you can find loads online about it).

[If you're coming from Pasadena to the El Cap, take the 134 west, to 101 south to 170 south which turns into Highland Ave. turn right onto Johnny Grant Way to get into parking garage.]

Here are some links: (I've done the Starline tour before)

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/index.html
http://www.starlinetours.com/?src=o...OVKEY=hollywood home star tour&OVMTC=standard
http://www.lacitytours.com/Tour-A2B.asp
http://www.melsdrive-in.com/

Best kept secret....if you're spot for watching the parade is way down at the far END of the parade....no need to get there so early. The parade starts at 8am I think? by 8:15 the traffic is all cleared out. Breeze right by at 8:30 or 9am and you'll have no trouble getting to the far end of the parade to see everything when it gets there around 9:45 am !

I don't know if you got a good deal or something at the Burbank Hilton, but a lot of people complain about that place....airplane noise etc....plus there is pretty much NOTHING in the area of the hotel. Burbank Holiday Inn is better, you can walk through the downtown, into the mall, tons of restaurants etc. Burbank Best Western near Warner Brothers is nice too if you can get a comparable price on the room.

Thanks for the tips unfortunately since we are going with our Marine friend the base requires us to be there by 7 and then they close the gates. No one else comes or goes till after the parade. I know it sucks too because we just hung out for hours but it is their rule. Security reasons or something I'm not sure. But hey it is free so I am not complaining.

And as far as the Airport inn originally I got a room there because we were flying in to Burbank on Friday morning and I wanted something close so we could drop off our stuff and go to universal the same day. We were then going to stay at the LAX hilton the rest of the time. Then we changed our plans around and so I just got all 5 days in Burbank. I figured it is closer to Pasadena. I lost 25 bucks when I cancelled my LAX reses and I would lose another 50 if I cancelled these so we will just deal. I am sure there is probably noise but unless burbank has changed a lot I know they don't have flights all night long and all we are doing is sleeping there so I am not too worried about it.

Thanks so much for the great info though!!

drifter6ai.gif

I took it upon myself to troll for suitable BD things a young lady might enjoy on or about the 31st... and without her entourage of friends. And I came up with the following ideas to addd to the birthday w/o needing a crowd of friends....

mouse-planet said:
Club Libby Lu
Where: Downtown Disney
Cost: Prices vary from $20 to $30 per girl
Age Range: Children (girls) under 13
Reservations: Call (714) 772–3793

One of the newer additions to Downtown Disney, Club Libby Lu appeals strictly to girls under 13. It may not appeal to parents wanting to delay pre–occupation with makeup, hair and clothes in their 6–year–old daughter, but seeing how crowded the store has been since it has opened, those parents appear to be in the minority. The shop offers a “Very Important Princess” birthday party with prices starting at $20 per child for a “Libby Du,” with accessories to “complete the look,” and party favors in a small backpack. A one–girl deposit is required when booking a party, but there is no minimum number of party guests required.

LibbyLu_101704_AVPx.jpg

Character Dining birthday parties
Where: At various character dining locations around the resort.
Cost: Purchase of meal plus $5 per guest
Age range: Geared towards kids 12 and under
Priority Seating: Call Disney Dining at (714) 781–3463

Book a dining reservation at Goofy's Kitchen and for an additional $5 per person, each guest receives a birthday hat, plate, cup, and goodie bag with a toy and a Goofy pen. The birthday person receives a cupcake, but a whole cake for the entire party requires an extra fee (see below.)

The Lilo and Stitch Aloha Breakfast at the PCH Grill in the Paradise Pier Hotel provides a party set–up with party hat, plate, cups, and small bag with a little treat inside for $5 above the cost of the buffet. The Royal Disney Princess Breakfast at the Plaza Inn also provides the birthday favor bags, hats, and plates at the same price.

If you are interested in having a whole birthday cake at any of the on-property hotel restaurants, Disney Dining takes orders at the same time you book your priority seating, up to 60 days in advance and no later than 72 hours in advance. A 10–inch round cake, which serves up to 14 guests, sets you back $23.50. A quarter sheet is $38 and serves up to 21 guests. The baking kitchen personalizes the cake with specific colors and put the birthday person's name on it. The kitchen even delivers the cake to the hotel restaurant of your choice in time for the birthday person to blow out the candles.

Worth the price? As far as the birthday party set–ups go, it depends on your feelings about character meals. If the guest of honor loves to visit with the characters and eat buffet meals, $5 more per person doesn't seem like a lot to get that little extra birthday flourish. The Goofy's Kitchen party favors are more substantial, so keep that in mind when deciding on which character meal to book. If the birthday person would rather eat a more traditional meal without Pluto sticking his nose into the soup, perhaps a whole cake ordered for the end of the meal is the way to go.

Birthday Bucket
Where: Most resort restaurants at DL and DCA
Cost: $20
Age range: Geared towards children 12 and under

Birthday Buckets are widely available around the Resort, and are an alternative to the birthday party at the Plaza Inn. You can also purchase them through room service at any of the Disneyland Resort hotels. The buckets contain a small cake, a birthday pin, stickers, and a choice of toys (depending on the bucket theme you choose). Birthday people under 10 should be the most excited about receiving a birthday bucket, though I have seen adults toting them around as well.

birthdaybucket.jpg

Worth the price? Twenty bucks seems a little steep, but the birthday pin is cute and a nice permanent keepsake. Plus, it is less expensive than paying for a party of three or more to go to the Happiest Birthdays on Earth at the Plaza Inn.

Call from Goofy
Where: City Hall
Cost: Free
Age Range: All ages

While at City Hall for your birthday sticker, look for the old–fashioned phone at the front desk. This is Goofy's private line to wish happy birthday to the lucky celebrant. Other phones around the resort can be patched to Goofy, such as the Disney Gallery phone in New Orleans Square, but the phone at City Hall is the “official” Goofy phone and the most fun to use.

goofycall.jpg

Worth the price? It's another wonderful freebie one can get only at Disneyland.

Birthday sticker
Where: City Hall
Cost: Free with admission
Age Range: All ages

The birthday sticker is the first step to a great Disneyland birthday, and the best part is its price: Free to guests of all ages. The sticker lets cast members (park employees) know you are celebrating your special day at the park. Many cast members single out birthday folks with special attention and greetings. It's an amazing thing, considering how many thousands of folks walk around the park with a birthday sticker.

birthdaysticker.jpg

Some cast members even lead crowds in a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday” just to make someone's day special (or embarrass them to death.) One cast member led the whole crowd waiting for Fantasmic! in a birthday song for my 8–year–old daughter, who is just young enough to enjoy that sort of mass attention.

cmbirthday.jpg

Worth the price? Nothing is better than a cool free sticker. The sticker is valid even if it's not the exact day of your birth (just get a sticker).

Thanks for doing all the diggin cap crash. THat is so funny that you brought up that stuff cuz I looked up that exact info on MP. LOL.

AFter I did this post we decided we are for sure going to the El Cap and the soda fountain on the 31st and we have now also decided to go down to Disneyland on Fri the 29th. We have annual passes but will have to pay the 30.00 bucks since we have deluxe and not premium but I am going to reserve the happiest birthdays on earth and we are going into it knowing that the park is probably going to be horribly crowded and know that it is mostly to celebrate her birthday and see the christmas decs and don't count on being able to do many rides.

We have done the birthday bucket before and she loved that and we do plan on getting another sticker as well as the call from goofy. Thanks so much for looking that stuff up.

Get to the park EARLY! Do the rides that matter most to you in the 1st few hours. Get fast pass for any "specials" you wanna hit later in the day. Have a nice birthday lunch or dinner, and during the peak times catch a couple of parades. Then LEAVE. Rest. Come back in later for fireworks and to hit more rides as they are closing. If you leave then this assumes you're gonna catch dinner outside. That is what we would do. You should be able to re=enter with a hand stamp. Of course, we do this cuz we CANNOT last a whole day from early morning to close at the park. We would probably duck out near 4 and return near 8 or 9.

Just an idea is all....
:confused3

kelmac284 said:
Thanks for doing all the diggin cap crash. THat is so funny that you brought up that stuff cuz I looked up that exact info on MP. LOL.

AFter I did this post we decided we are for sure going to the El Cap and the soda fountain on the 31st and we have now also decided to go down to Disneyland on Fri the 29th. We have annual passes but will have to pay the 30.00 bucks since we have deluxe and not premium but I am going to reserve the happiest birthdays on earth and we are going into it knowing that the park is probably going to be horribly crowded and know that it is mostly to celebrate her birthday and see the christmas decs and don't count on being able to do many rides.

We have done the birthday bucket before and she loved that and we do plan on getting another sticker as well as the call from goofy. Thanks so much for looking that stuff up.

OCSurfCity said:
Haven't been to Universal Citywalk in several years but there was this one place that had a Wizard show near the theatres. Kids loves that show.

Too bad you are not going to be at Disneyland because they have a place called Goofy's Kitchen where the characters will come out to greet the birthday girl or boy. Goofy's Kitchen can be pricey.

Sadly, Wizardz has been closed for years. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter