So it’s a regular Thursday morning and then

java

<font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B
my husband says “oh my company is opening a branch in Orlando next year”

We currently live in NJ. But my Mom lives in Florida. And my daughter lives in Florida!

Now how the heck did he expect me to go to work today.

So it’s a possibility! That’s all I need.

Any neighborhoods I should start looking at.

Problem is I have high schoolers. So good schools are a must

Last edited:

We currently live in NJ. But my Mom lives in Florida. And my daughter lives in Florida!

I don't have anything to add because I don't know anything about living in the Orlando area, but I just wanted to say, YAY!!!!!!!! That is so exciting, I hope it works out!

Any chance you could wait and let them finish school first? Public schools in Florida mostly suck. Private ones can be pricey, and you'd need to do a lot of research to see which ones are good and which ones are just money making machines.

What year are your high schoolers? I'd strongly recommend staying where you are while DH moves to FL for them to finish high school. Public schools in FL are nowhere close to your "good school" mandate.

Public schools don't ALL suck in Florida, but it varies A LOT from county to county as well as within counties. There is a ton of parental involvement in my area--to the point that there are sometimes lotteries to determine which parents get to chaperone a field trip or help supervise class parties. And the PTA has such high membership rates and involvement with fundraisers that we're able to pay for extra staff and provide other "extras" that really shouldn't be "extras" but should be funded by the district. But to be zoned for these schools generally means buying a home in a pricey neighborhood. The wealthier parents are lucky enough to have the time and resources to devote to the schools. Also, middle schools do not fare as well and high schools are even worse because those resources get spread a lot thinner as the schools get larger with a lot more students from less privileged households being bussed in. The feeling of the "neighborhood school" diminishes in middle school and is gone by high school. A lot of parents move their kids to private school for high school. There are also some very good magnet and charter options (but there are even more truly horrendous ones so you have to be very careful) for middle and high.

That said, I don't know anything about the schools in Orlando so I'm no help at all, lol. I just needed to stand up for Florida schools a little, because not all of them deserve the bad reputation. And since your kids are high-school age, there's probably a near-zero chance that you're going to find them a "good" public school in Orlando. Even the worst of them seem to be fine for motivated students, though, I've noticed. Many of my neighbors sent their kids to our poorly rated public high school and they kept strictly to the honors and AP classes and did well, and went on to good colleges. These kids were self-starters with very good self-discipline and work ethics, though. The good thing about private schools is that they tend to require more of even the less motivated students; no one is allowed to go under the radar and just drift through school without doing much. But I think that kids who really want to be successful can do so even in some of the "worst" schools.

Moving high schoolers can be very tough, I would try and keep them where they are until after graduation if possible. Disruption can cause decrease in academic performance, depression, social isolation, etc. I agree Florida schools are not the best, Orlando in particular doesn’t have the best school districts.

Also those I know who have moved just to be close to the parks say it gets old very fast.

Any chance you could wait and let them finish school first? Public schools in Florida mostly suck. Private ones can be pricey, and you'd need to do a lot of research to see which ones are good and which ones are just money making machines.

What year are your high schoolers? I'd strongly recommend staying where you are while DH moves to FL for them to finish high school. Public schools in FL are nowhere close to your "good school" mandate.

I don't know about Orlando, but there are some very good public schools in Florida, including high schools. You're misinformed on Florida as a whole.

Public schools don't ALL suck in Florida, but it varies A LOT from county to county as well as within counties. There is a ton of parental involvement in my area--to the point that there are sometimes lotteries to determine which parents get to chaperone a field trip or help supervise class parties. And the PTA has such high membership rates and involvement with fundraisers that we're able to pay for extra staff and provide other "extras" that really shouldn't be "extras" but should be funded by the district. But to be zoned for these schools generally means buying a home in a pricey neighborhood. The wealthier parents are lucky enough to have the time and resources to devote to the schools. Also, middle schools do not fare as well and high schools are even worse because those resources get spread a lot thinner as the schools get larger with a lot more students from less privileged households being bussed in. The feeling of the "neighborhood school" diminishes in middle school and is gone by high school. A lot of parents move their kids to private school for high school. There are also some very good magnet and charter options (but there are even more truly horrendous ones so you have to be very careful) for middle and high.

That said, I don't know anything about the schools in Orlando so I'm no help at all, lol. I just needed to stand up for Florida schools a little, because not all of them deserve the bad reputation. And since your kids are high-school age, there's probably a near-zero chance that you're going to find them a "good" public school in Orlando. Even the worst of them seem to be fine for motivated students, though, I've noticed. Many of my neighbors sent their kids to our poorly rated public high school and they kept strictly to the honors and AP classes and did well, and went on to good colleges. These kids were self-starters with very good self-discipline and work ethics, though. The good thing about private schools is that they tend to require more of even the less motivated students; no one is allowed to go under the radar and just drift through school without doing much. But I think that kids who really want to be successful can do so even in some of the "worst" schools.

Exactly!

Last edited:

If I were in your situation, this is something I would highly consider, although it depends on if all your children are in HS or almost in HS.

One-three years, if they are already in school, doesnt make too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things for the rest of your life, although not sure if/where they are planning to attend college. If not, what jobs would they have in Orlando?

We also have the Bright Futures college program (funded primarily by the state lottery) which pays for college for Florida high school graduates who meet certain GPA and other criteria. It's not easy to earn a Bright Futures scholarship, but it's definitely attainable by a hard working student of even average intellect. I teach at and am working on my PhD at a large Florida university and I've had many students on Bright Futures scholarships who are first generation college attendees. There is no reason for me to be aware of this and I'm sure I have many more students who don't inform me of their status, but these students are often very open about their situation and appreciative of the opportunity. They are some of the hardest-working students. I wish it didn't take a lottery to pay for it, but Bright Futures is one thing Florida education has going for it.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Several years ago, I was thinking of moving from a really cold state (A) to a really warm state (B). I had 3 kids in elementary school. Everyone told me how terrible the schools were in B and not to move there. My mistake was in listening to them. After 7 more years of being miserable in A, I finally moved to B after the older 2 graduated high school. My youngest is attending a great school. I only wish my other 2 had had the chance to live here.

US News and World Report acutally just named Florida public high schools 6th in the nation,with New Jersey at #5.

link, please?

Because I've found this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ity-states-best-and-worst-schools/1079181001/

and this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneem...-the-best-public-school-systems/#4ee443f93897

If you were referring to this:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

It lists Florida as 40th in K-12.

Last edited:
Quality of schools aside, moving during high school years can be tricky. I worked in a HS for many years, and the kids that handled it well were the kind of kids that played sports, joined the drama club, the newspaper, the marching band-a place to make friends and find their group. The ones who struggled as move ins were shy and not as comfortable with joining anything-and certainly moving in as a 9th grader was easier than as a junior or senior. Of course, you know your kids best. Just something to think about.

Quality of schools aside, moving during high school years can be tricky. I worked in a HS for many years, and the kids that handled it well were the kind of kids that played sports, joined the drama club, the newspaper, the marching band-a place to make friends and find their group. The ones who struggled as move ins were shy and not as comfortable with joining anything-and certainly moving in as a 9th grader was easier than as a junior or senior. Of course, you know your kids best. Just something to think about.

Agree, agree, agree!
Sports teams especially make it easier

As a child whose parents forced me to move during high school, I’d suggest for the kids sake of staying in NJ. It’s harder for older kids to make new friends (I was in band and that didn’t help). Plus if it’s only for 3 years that’s not too bad to stick it out. As for the school thing I can’t help with since I live around Tampa but if I had kids I’d home school them just so they didn’t turn out as uneducated as I’ve experienced. Not trying to be mean, it’s just basic things that my coworkers don’t know because they didn’t have a great education system.

Did you read what the scores were based on? It's pretty bizarre, to say the least, very convoluted. Nothing on college enrollment and success after graduating from high school. Heavily based on AP/IB scores, which are not needed for success after high school, not needed for college either. And to have some of it based on state based standardized test scores? We had a girl transfer back to us after she went to Florida with her mom for a semester. Her high school was teaching things she learned in middle school here. She was a junior in high school at the time. She came back to finish junior year, and do all of senior year.

OP, if you do decide to transfer your kids into school in Orlando, ask for some info on their state testing first. See if it is as rigorous as the one they'd take at home now. If not, don't bother until they are out of high school, IMO. Some states have much lower standards than others.

Did you read what the scores were based on? It's pretty bizarre, to say the least, very convoluted. Nothing on college enrollment and success after graduating from high school. Heavily based on AP/IB scores, which are not needed for success after high school, not needed for college either. And to have some of it based on state based standardized test scores? We had a girl transfer back to us after she went to Florida with her mom for a semester. Her high school was teaching things she learned in middle school here. She was a junior in high school at the time. She came back to finish junior year, and do all of senior year.

OP, if you do decide to transfer your kids into school in Orlando, ask for some info on their state testing first. See if it is as rigorous as the one they'd take at home now. If not, don't bother until they are out of high school, IMO. Some states have much lower standards than others.

Ok, well, clearly your 1 personal internet anecdote supercedes a well known, trusted research publication.

Kids who are engaged with learning and have good support at home will do well, kids who think education is low priority will not. I have friends who graduated from Florida schools who are doing very well, and friends who went to $20k a year , top rated private schools in other states who are not, and vice versa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter