So what food/restaurants lived up to the hype? C'mon in!

One more thing. Boma was not up to the hype for us. It was frankly ...weird. I liked the zebra domes though.

I agree with most of what has been posted. We love LeCellier as a whole. The cheddar soup was gross IMHO and my steak was not even close to how I ordered it. Of course they offered to replace it but I had tried it and it made me a bit sick. I was 5 months preggo with a sensitive tummy at the time. But the server and manager were fabulous about the situation and showed great customer service in handling the situation. The other three entrees were right on target as ordered! It is still a favorite.

Coral reef, which gets very diverse reviews here was probably the best meal for food and service our whole trip. We have it booked twice for our summer trip.

Boma, another that you either love or hate, we fall in the middle on this one. My teens love this place. My husband and I can take it or leave it. Not great but not bad.

Kona Cafe, we all love it!!!

Favorite character meal, definitely Crystal Palace. Very calm atmosphere for a character meal and their dinner options are different from most of the buffets. Its also a great choice for smaller kids. We took our daughter last summer, she was 14 months at the time, she had a blast. I think Chef Mickeys noise level may have scared her or at the very least unnerved her.

Living up to the Hype: Califronia Grill, Kona, Wolfgang Pucks, Ohana
Hit or Miss reviews well deserved: LibertyTree, Coral Reef (one time their good, the next time not so much).
Not living up to the Hype: Chefs De France (food here just okay) Boma (I love unusual food, but everything here is smoky or spicy or has some other cavot) Artist Point (again food here was just okay.
Those that don't get enough credit: Rose'n Crown, Columbia Harbour House (not a sit down but all the food is great), Plaza Restaurant, Teppanyaki

Exceeded Our Expectations:
Ohana, Boma, Chef Mickey B-fast, DOLE WHIP, Cindy's for dinner w/DDP on my birthday, Plaza Restaurant, DH says Sci-Fi anytime, but I disagree, Planet Hollywood was a great surprise, EARL OF SANDWICH

Didn't do it for us:
Chef Mickey's dinner

Exceeded Our Expectations:
Ohana, Boma, Chef Mickey B-fast, DOLE WHIP, Cindy's for dinner w/DDP on my birthday, Plaza Restaurant, DH says Sci-Fi anytime, but I disagree, Planet Hollywood was a great surprise, EARL OF SANDWICH

Didn't do it for us:
Chef Mickey's dinner

We're doing a Chef Mickey breakfast. What was on the buffet? I was going to do dinner there, but it didn't fit in our plans so we went with breakfast instead.

Rose and Crown was great, especially the seating outside and viewing of Illuminations. Great combo.

Chef de France was poor at best.

EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS & REVIEWS: OHANA (breakfast & dinner) & TEPPANYAKI (CM at CSR told us this was best restaurant in all WDW)

ABOUT WHAT WE EXPECTED FROM REVIEWS: Mama Melrose's (food probably a bit better than the reviews - service was slow); H&V Play & Dine (character interaction great -it was breakfast) & LTT (crowded but seated quickly)

WON"t BE BACK: MARRAKESH (disappointing 2nd visit: DH's food bad, sent back, came back with hair in it, bad & rude service))

WHAT WE WISH WE WOULD HAVE TRIED & NOT LISTENED TO REVIEWS: Sci Fi (met too many people in line that ate at Sci Fi and loved it, I refused to eat there because of reviews despite everyone wanting to eat there b/c of atmosphere)

Le Cellier, School Bread, Tonga Toast, Zebra Domes and Tangierine Cafe lived up to the hype

Chef Mickeys, Dole Whip and Turkey legs do not

I am glad that I am not the only one who thought that Dole Whips were not all that. When we last went in 2003, I insisted on trying these to my DH because of all the rave reviews from here. They were good, don't get me wrong, but nothing outstanding.

Count me in as someone who has had three good meals at Planet Hollywood. We ate there in 95, 2000, and 03. We enjoyed each meal. Good service, good food. But I don't think I would recommend it as a must do place.

Le Cellier by far the best for my family. I liked crabcakes at coral reef, Planet Hollywood was good but loud, and mama melroses so/so

Le Cellier might be okay if the servers lose the attitude. Dudes, it's just steak. Our server called me "Sir", when I had long brown hair and a pink top on. Quite clearly not a guy.

And as nice as the couple next to us were, I didn't really want to have lunch with them. But we did. Can those tables be any closer!?

So anyway. Le Cellier certainly didn't live up to it's hype.

Either did 50's Prime Time. My fried chicken tasted like cigarettes. Ew, ew, EW!

On the other hand, Ohana surpassed our expectations. All the food was FABULOUS, the servers were great, and it had such a fun, relaxed vibe.

On this trip, we were very pleased with Jiko and Flying Fish. CRT for lunch exceeded our expectations for the food.

Count me in for Le Cellier. Loved everything! Ohana was our favorite meal by far. I was surprised to enjoy Mama melrose quite a bit (our server was totally awesome). California Grille was great except for dessert (Yuck!!) The soup I had was absolutely wonderful.

We enjoyed Boma, but won't go again. I was very pleased to have picked a buffet for our final meal on the DDP. I didn't feel bad for only eating a little!

The zebra domes didn't live up to the hype for me, but they were very good!:thumbsup2

We might have to skip Le Cellier and try Rose and Crown and Tepanyaki next time.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
I will make point to try the school bread next week, I've heard so much about it and have never tried it!
We will going to WCC also, I love that place, it's a hoot!!!:rotfl:

We have very modest expectations regarding food quality at WDW and focus more on the atmosphere and experience. Sci-Fi and 50s Prime Trime are great fun...Crystal Palace very good for the characters. At Epcot we graze and drink our way around the world...good food along the way is a bonus!!

I think Le Cellier definitely lived up to its reputation - I could dine on the filet and pretzel bread alone!

For me, Casey's was a disappointment. It was a pretty good hot dog, but nothing spectacular.

Well, for the OPs rave review of the school bread, I have made it my duty to try it on the next trip! I too am a chocolate fanatic, and I can't even think of ordering a dessert without some of it. So on your recommendation, I am going to do it....branch out and try something new!! :eek:

I first ate at Le Cellier in 93 and it was gosh awful. Ick. Well, in 05 I read so many wonderful reviews here about it I figured we really had to try it again. It was well worth it!! The tables are too darn close, but the food is fantastic. I even loved my chocolate raspberry shake!!

Trying Planet Hollywood & Sci Fi despite bad reviews. SciFi for the atmosphere and PH for the menu choices. Will do my own review in May!! Has anyone had the steak at Sci Fi or PH?

What is the school bread people are talking about?

It's a scrumptious pastry found at Norway's Kringla Bakeri (my kids think it's spelled wrong!:) ) It's YUMMY! DH talked me into it, and I'm so glad!

Here are our top picks of the best

Le Cellier - Raspberry Smoothie and the Prince Edward Mussels!!!!!
Liberty Tree Lunch - Fried Cheese
Coral Reef - Strawberry Stinger smoothie and the Chocolate wave and their bread!!

Wlfgang Puck - BBQ Chichen Quesadilia
Kona - Sticky Wings

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter