So you want to be a Disney Imagineer?? Which college & major would you choose??

Well my dream is to be an Imagineer and I am going to school for Mechanical Engineering. I don't know what Disney wants or need but Mechanical, I personally feel, is a really good general field where you can do a lot of different things with it. I hope this helps a little!

He really should just choose a major that he would be happy in. From the website:

The Imagineering organization encompasses more than 140 diverse disciplines, including writers, model-makers, computer animators, artists, engineers, sculptors, filmmakers, scientists, programmers, special effects designers, architects, master planning, creative development, production and Walt Disney Imagineering Research and Development.

So rather than choosing a major that will give him the best shot at being an Imagineer, he should just go with one he will like. There isn't much point in studying engineering just to be an Imagineer if he HATES engineering. They need a LOT of different professions.

I completely agree with Melinda. Disney really is looking for all types of people to be imagineers from all types of background and all types of majors. I just am going for engineering and if I am unable to get a job with Disney I know that being a mechanical engineer it wont be hard for me to find a job. I am in engineering because I love it!

My goal in life is to be an Imagineer as well, but unlike lala, I am pursuing a liberal arts degree. In fact, I just found out one of the current heads of Imagineering has a very similar degree! :goodvibes

I'm going to a small liberal arts school and majoring in English (with Creative Writing Emphasis) and Art/Art History, as well as a concentration in Media Studies. I say study what you want, cultivate creativity, and everything will fall into place later. :thumbsup2

In fact, I think more beneficial than the "right degree" would be entering the ImagiNations contest when the time comes, since many (though not all) winners are granted an internship with Imagineering. Though there are some schools that feed into Disney or have specific connections/internships - some CA schools and CMU come to mind. HTH!

Thank you all so much for the great tips. Figure it's good to start now.

Could you please tell me what CMU stands for? Also, is their a website or do you have info. on the Imaginations contest?

Truly appreciate all your valuable time:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thank you all so much for the great tips. Figure it's good to start now.

Could you please tell me what CMU stands for? Also, is their a website or do you have info. on the Imaginations contest?

Truly appreciate all your valuable time:goodvibes:goodvibes

Carnegie Mellon University.

And the ImagiNations website is here! :thumbsup2

I'm planning on becoming a Disney imagineer.
I think I'm going to major in theatre design in college, and I'm looking at SoCal schools (imagineering is based in Glendale). Many imagineers majored in theatre design, including Tony Baxter.

However, your son should really do what he loves to do. I've worked in theatre for a couple of years and I have a passion for it. Now I just have to worry about having enough in my portfolio when I interview next year!

Surprised him today!! :goodvibes:goodvibes Made a reservation for Lunch with an Imagineer on 4/14 at the Brown Derby. He is sooooo excited. What a great concept. Do you guys go to schools and inspire kids as part of your internship as well??:wizard::wizard:

My daughter would love nothing better than to be an Imagineer...she'll be majoring in Architecture at university.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter