• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soft sided cooler

house_of_princesses

<font color=FF66FF>Has a multitude of DIS friends
A short while back there was discussion about bringing beverages on board. The consensus was anything's allowed as long as it is in a soft sided cooler. I've been looking for one and today I purchased a 54 can cooler at Sam's Club. It cost $24.73. Just thought I'd share the info. :D Oh, and the cooler is on wheels, and has a pop up bag on top. Hope this helps someone!

Yes, It has to fit thru a standard airport security scanner.

And, do not under any circumstances pack any ice. Ice messes up the scanner, They will make you dump it. The stateroom host will provide copious amounts of ice, at any interval you ask.

I also purchased a soft sided cooler for the trip. Got mine at walmarts- under $20. Now I see talk of needing to fit thru airport scanners/screeners. Um.....how big is that? I don't get out much? lol Can someone let me know the dimensions? And one more question (at least for now!)- can you bring the cooler aboard the DCL packed with beverages as long as there is no ice? Or should the beverages be packed seperately? Thanks for helping out!

Ok, I don't have an exact measurement of the scanner, but the rollaway we use as a carryon which will fit is 24 x 15 x 10 all in inches.

I'd stick with what airlines are using as a rule for size of carryons.

Yes, you can have the beverages packed in the cooler, just no ice, it confuses the scanner somehow. And you don't need ice anyhow - the ice bucket will be full when you get to your room, and the room steward will provide ice as often as you want, 1 2 or 3 times a day. Or, if you're real impatient, the drink station on Deck 9 also has an ice dispenser.

CARRY-ON POLICIES OF MAJOR AIRLINES

American (americanairlines.com)
Limit of two carry-ons. Maximum size of each is 23" x 15" x 9".

Continental (continental.com)
Limit of two carry-ons. Maximum size of each is 22" x 14" x 9".

Delta (delta.com)

Northwest (nwa.com)
Limit of one carry-on. Maximum size is 22" x 14" x 9".

Southwest (southwest.com)
Limit of one carry-on. Maximum size is 24" x 16" x 10".

TWA (twa.com)
Limit of two carry-ons. Maximum size of each is 21" x 16" x 10".

United (unitedairlines.com)

U.S. Airways (usair.com)
Limit of two carry-ons. Maximum size of each is 24" x 16" x 10".

AirTran (airtran.com)
Limit of one carry-on. Maximum size is 22" x 14" x 9"

So the scanners must accomodate these sizes

I think I saw that cooler last year. We considered buying one but decided we didn't need to bring our own drinks.

It seems to me that the scanners are not a huge problem for a carry on. If it doesn't fit, can't you just take out the contents and run them through the scanner? Fold the bag & have them scan that too. Yes, it will be a pain for everyone, but it's not like you're trying to fit a metal box through there!

I BOUGHT THE SAME COOLER!! I liked the extra bag it has on top. I think, though, that I'll bring the sodas in my carryon, which also has wheels and use the cooler for in the room as I'm hearing that the cool boxes on the ship aren't very cool.

Hi --

I like the idea of bringing a softsided cooler for the trip. Can we bring anything we want in it? Bottled Water, soda pop? What are the restrictions.

I'm concerned about water. I drink a gal of filtered water a day. Same with hubby and about half for each child. None of us are used to tap water. So I'm looking for a way to reduce our water costs. Anyone remember how much a bottle of water was on the ship?

Thanks!

if we bring water or beer can we just carry it on or does it need to be in a cooler or suitcase?

I believe any type of beer/alcohol needs to be in a bag. Its a Disney ship and they dont want to see what we're bringing on! I would think you can walk on with water in the open

Bottled water onboard is at least $1.50 per bottle, maybe more. They use Dasani brand.

The beverage station up on Deck 9 has very good (I am very picky about water) water available. It is filtered and very tasty!!! I usually bring one large water bottle with me and just keep refilling it from the water station...do not want to lug water onboard!!!

MJ

Some answers in reverse order-

All shipboard water is filtered. You should be fine drinking water from any tap. The water is of exceptional quality. We usually buy a bottled water and refill it with tap water.

You can bring any beverages you like onboard. The only limitation they have on any is that if you want to bring your own wine to dinner, they have a corkage fee.

Sure, if it don't fit you can unpack it, but that's an inconvenience not just for you but those behind you waiting their turn to get in.

The coolboxes have provided nice, cool beverages on the last 4 cruises I've been on, and I don't do ice in my drinks. They are not refrigerators and won't be cold when you open them, but will get beverages pleasantly cold. Anyone with an inadequate coolbox in their cabin should report it to the room steward or engineering, it's not like they can go thru and test all of them for the short time the ship is in Port Canaveral, so they won't know it doesn't work unless you tell them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter