Solar Eclipse April 8

I agree and weather forecasts much beyond 2-3 days are almost always wrong. There are too many random variables that can impact future weather to accurately predict so far in advance.

I decided to invest in a cheap solar lens filter for the camera. Considering the odds of bad weather, I didn't want to invest in anything too pricey. My best telephoto which will handle my 1.4x extender would need a 77mm filter. This cheapie is supposed to handle 65-89MM. I guess if the weather doesn't cooperate, I can keep it around for sunspot and flare photography. A friend suggested painter's tape to help secure it and keep it from crumpling like it might with the rubber band securing approach. It also came with a couple of pairs of eclipse glasses. It's coming from B&H photography, so I at least trust the source.

Really really hoping our forecast improves. We have reservations in a town that's expected to have 4 minutes and 23 seconds of totality.

1711987222304.png
1711987313859.png

In path of totality and a teacher. We will be open and the district has made the day protected which means if you take the day off you are docked your pay for that day. They want all hands on deck at any cost. We are expected to take the students out for the event and are being provided glasses. I feel like it's a huge responsibility to monitor students and make sure they are not blinded on our watch - some of which have special needs, behavioral problems, or in the case of younger grades, are just 5 or 6 and do not have impulse control!
I totally understand you’re concern and frustration. We’re not in the path of totality-90% here. Some districts closed for the day. Ours did not. But no worries-they’re giving us glasses! 😒 The peak for us is right around the time of dismissal and I have life skills, special ed kids. My kids are NOT going to wear the glasses that the district is handing out. I’m expecting I’ll be at school with the kids well past my 3:40 “end of work day” hours. I’m thinking the busses will all be pretty screwed up.

I’m thinking the busses will all be pretty screwed up.
That’s why schools here closed. Our peak is 3:15 ish. So right around the time elementary schools would be dismissing. They couldn’t be sure buses would get to schools. If everyone hits the road right after the peak, it would be the same time the buses were heading out. So they didn’t want buses of little kids sitting on roads for who knows how long in major traffic.

It's only going to be around 30% coverage here, but there will be some events. Originally I thought it wasn't going to happen at all.

Even though our part of Texas (down by Brownsville) is outside the path of totality, the Walmarts around here have been selling the eclipse glasses, and some of them have sold out.

Well, it looks like my parents are going to stay home. I can't blame them. The hassles of air travel for such low odds of visibility and a decent probability of severe weather would probably make me reconsider as well. I was hoping to still make the 3 hour drive to the parking area I booked to give it a try, but if the weather looks really bad, there's just no point. If I get stuck in post-eclipse gridlock, there's a chance I'll be stuck in an area with decent potential for large hail, high winds and tornadic activity. I may just have to settle for whatever amount of 95% I can see at home.

The Eastern Townships of Quebec is showing great weather, well right now. It is in the path of totality. It is a breathtakingly beautiful area full of quaint towns, tons of outdoor activities - cycling paths /hiking, horse shows, antique shopping, some award winning inns. Southern Quebec borders onto NY, VT, NH & Maine

Two towns that I love are right in line - North Hatley & Ayer's Cliff (both accessible in under a half an hour through the Stanstead/Derby Line VT crossing).

Sainte-Catherine-de- Hatley overlooks where the townships flow into Vermont. So picturesque.

One can fly into Plattsburgh or Burlington and easily travel up into other parts of the townships as well, this area sits right at the US border. And our dollar is horrendous right now, so there's that! 🤩

https://www.easterntownships.org/pr...le-change-of-scenery-in-the-eastern-townships
https://www.ubishops.ca/experience-the-solar-eclipse-at-bishops-university/

Last edited:
The Eastern Townships of Quebec is showing great weather, well right now. It is It is in the path of totality. It is a breathtakingly beautiful area full of quaint towns, tons of outdoor activities - cycling paths /hiking, horse shows, antique shopping, some award winning inns. Southern Quebec borders onto NY, VT, NH & Maine

Two towns that I love are right in line - North Hatley & Ayer's Cliff (both accessible in under a half an hour through the Stanstead/Derby Line VT crossing).

Sainte-Catherine-de- Hatley overlooks where the townships flow into Vermont. So picturesque.

One can fly into Plattsburgh or Burlington and easily travel up into other parts of the townships as well, this area sits right at the US border. And our dollar is horrendous right now, so there's that! 🤩

https://www.easterntownships.org/pr...le-change-of-scenery-in-the-eastern-townships
https://www.ubishops.ca/experience-the-solar-eclipse-at-bishops-university/

We have a team in PEI and I suspect a number of them will be making the drive from Charlottetown to spots on the other side of the totality line. If I were flying and treating this like more of a vacation, I would consider Burlington. I have some not so fond memories of Plattsburgh, but that's a non-eclipse story. Parts of Maine are also looking really good.

At this point, it's a matter of do I stay home to avoid the gridlock, gas issues, and severe weather OR do I go for the 200 mile drive, the 170 mile drive, or the 140 mile drive. I can't control the cloud cover, but I can try to mitigate the risks with the other concerns and I can try and make a Saturday or Sunday decision which which one has the most promising forecast. While lodging prices have dropped considerably in many parts of TX, it would still be cheaper to just stay home.

Solar filter arrived yesterday. I had some focusing issues, but I captured a sunspot and unless I'm imagining it...you can see a hint of fiery ripples. I still have no idea where I want to go. Drive times, severe storm potential, cloud cover/cloud type predictions, and gridlock worries keep me jumping around.

1712326283504.png

For those of you in the path with 100% totality, may I offer a suggestion?

You'll most likely be taking a lot of pictures. That's as it should be. After all, this may be a once-in-a-lifetime event for people.

But please....take a moment during the eclipse to SAFELY look at the eclipse with your eyes too. Don't let your enthusiasm for taking 2-dimension pictures rob you of the opportunity to actually see the eclipse in 3-dimensions with your own eyes. It truly is a remarkable experience you'll not soon forget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter