Solo Non Camping “Work” Trip

Bishoparc

DIS Veteran
So on a whim, since I finally have an AP, I decided to come to Orlando and work from our timeshare we have just off property. Hope it’s ok to share a trip report here since I’m not camping but this is where my friends hang out :rolleyes1

Left the house at 7:20A central and made it in 6.5 hours. The DW is flying down on Friday night. Frontier just started a direct to/from Pensacola and the flight was only $40 one way.

After I got checked in, I headed over to the Studios. It is all decked out for Christmas!

Made my way over to Star Tours and walked right on then made my way around to Star Wars Land. Walked right on Smugglers Run in the single rider line.

Tried the “blue milk” for the first time. Honestly don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like but wasn’t bad.

The lines were crazy long, I didn’t realize it was a marathon weekend. Decided to head over to Epcot via the Skyliner. Yes, I swore I’d never ride it but I caved. Wasn’t horrible as long as it’s moving but when it stops it gets hot quick.

Epcot was also packed because they were having the post marathon party. Got some griddled cheese again from Greece. Yummy.

Spaceship Earth definitely looks cool with the new lights.

As if I hadn’t done enough in half a day, I took the monorail to MK.

Rolling to the next post.

Main Street looks lovely with all the decorations as usual but they weren’t playing Christmas music yet.

Made my way towards Adventure Land and my favorite spring roll cart was open! Had the cheeseburger spring roll and another special one they had made for the 50th with pastrami.

Managed to fit in a ride on Pirates before making my way up Main Street to watch Disney’s (dis)Enchantment.

This makes the 3rd time I’ve watched Enchantment and I still don’t like it. On my way out I found the perfect way to describe it, it’s just a fireworks show with a poorly made projection show. It doesn’t have any emotion, it’s just a fireworks show. If you take it as that, I guess it’s ok but I for one won’t make a point to watch it like I did Wishes or HEA. I will say to enjoy it at all you have to watch it in the park. There are sound effects and surround sound that “enhance” the experience. If you watch it from the Fort or somewhere else, you’ll be even more disappointed because you don’t get the “extra effects”.

Thats all for tonight. Working during the day tomorrow then will probably do Epcot again and actually watch Harmonious for the first time.

I like that new light scheme on Spaceship Earth. A couple other folks have posted it too.

That IS a cheap direct flight. Glad you can use it.

ED

Tonight takes us to Disney Springs. It’s all decked out for Christmas and there is Christmas music in the air.

They have the Christmas Tree Trail again this year. It’s spread out across the Springs. You can pick up a map at several locations. They give you a set of stickers to place on each themed tree on the map and you get a special pin at the end if you complete the trail.

Dinner was at Terralina Crafted Italian. This is the first time I’ve been there. It was quite good. I had the chicken Alfredo.

That’s it for tonight. May take a break tomorrow evening.

Amazing pics.

You are really making me want to book a Christmas trip. Maybe in 2023. Probably need to start looking to book that soon. :)

j

Tonight’s adventure takes us to Epcot. Got over there about 6:15. Had to park at the very back of the parking lot. Definitely missing the trams.

Headed over to Test Track into the single rider line. Only waited about 10 minutes. Walked over to Living With The Land. Thought the Christmas lights would be on but they either were broken or someone forgot to turn the lights on in the ride in general. It was super dark and was going super slow. I got to ride the coveted first row. Was definitely a different experience.

Peak of the high pressure line that keeps the stream flowing.

Walked around to the American Pavilion and got a BBQ Burger at Reagle Eagle. Had an onion ring on top then pulled pork and a burger patty on Texas toast. Was pretty good.

They had a big tree up by the American Pavilion.

I wanted a chance to ride the Rat so I gave in and paid for lightning lane access. $9.69. I kept watching the app during the day till it got closer to a time I wanted. I didn’t realize you could actually just pick a later time. When my time came, scanned my magic band and walked right on. The ride queue is super cute. The ride was ok but I wouldn’t wait in a long line or pay for it again. Just that same ole ride system used for Rise and Runaway Railway with a bunch of projections. I like it better than Runaway Railway but it didn’t blow me away.

After that walked back around and snapped a pic of the big Christmas tree.

Found myself a park bench and waited to watch Harmonious for the first time. Had a nice chat with a couple from Puerto Rico.

Now on to Harmonious, I didn’t hate it. Matter of fact, I kinda liked it…a lot. I never had any affinity to Reflections of Earth. I will say that just like Enchantment at MK, it’s just a show. Definitely no emotional ties. Being a lighting designer as a hobby for many years, the show is a technological spectacular and is very well done. It’s like World of Color from California Adventure on steroids. The weird octopus arms are a little odd but otherwise it is quite the show to see. I got to watch it straight on and you’d really have to watch it from there to get the best view and experience. I’m not sure you would enjoy it much from the World Showcase. Watching this online wouldn’t do it justice either. I will definitely go out of my way to watch it again.

Not sure what tomorrow will hold yet. May resort hop to see Christmas decorations. Picking the DW up at the airport tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Today’s adventure takes us all around the “World”. Since you can’t go direct to a resort without a dining reservation, I parked at the springs and took the bus over to the Fort.

I promised myself I wouldn’t buy one but I caved. This backpack was too cute and the perfect take in the park bag.

I also of course had to get one of the Fort 50th special Christmas ornaments.

I grabbed P&J for lunch. Had the “gobbler” it’s like thanksgiving on a bun. I also had the special 50th cupcakes…wouldn’t recommend those.

From there I headed on the boat to MK to hop the monorail to the contemporary.

Back on the monorail and over to the Grand.

Rolling to the next post for the gingerbread house.

Now to the gingerbread house.

Outside the Grand, this beautiful vintage Cadillac.

From the Grand to the studios. They were having special stuff for “Disney + Day”.

Took the Skyliner to CB to take a bus to the Springs. While walking to CB, they apparently are doing pop up characters at resorts. They carry them around on a special RV.

Went to visit the in-laws and picked up the DW from the airport. MK in the morning. I had a lot of fun hopping around today and just exploring.

Well what a day this has been! Started off our morning at Whispering Canyon for breakfast. We went with the traditional skillet as usual.

Hopped the boat from the Lodge to MK. Walking in, enjoying the sights and sounds. As we round the corner and see the castle, I notice what looks like flashing lights on Mickey ears down by the hub. When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, they’re filming the Christmas special right there!!!

I couldn’t believe my eyes. My mom has always dreamed of being at MK for the filming of the Christmas show. I couldn’t help but cry knowing how excited she would have been when I called her on the phone to tell her (she passed last year for those that don’t know.)

The actual audience that gets filmed are cast members only (we asked.) We also saw them shooting the interviews off to the side of the castle.

I’ll circle back to the rest of our day in the next post. The highlight was we actually got to see Kristin Chenoweth performing and Julianne Hough being the MC. They ran the song a couple of times to make sure they got a good cut. They told the audience to be sure to sway, clap, etc. She was actually performing the song live.

DW got some good pics of them too. They walked right by us!

I can’t begin to tell you how excited we were to have stumbled upon this. While we won’t be on TV, just being there to see it live and the behind the scenes was truly one of the best moments of my life. I’ve grown up watching the Disney Christmas special. I’ve not missed a single one on TV.

What a fantastic coincidence!

So neat to know you saw the parade filming while it was happening.

I'm gonna record it on the dvr and I'm STILL going to look for ya'll in the far away crowd shots. :magnify:

ED

DS is flying down in January on Frontier. STL-MCO one way $27. He splurged and paid $34 to be able to change flights without a fee.

j

1. The wife HAD to ask if the backpack was for me.
2. Or, was it for daughter.
3. Silly question!
4. ME, ME, ME. !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter