Solo trip rides that require wheelchair transfer

EJWBEY

Earning My Ears
I will be going on a solo trip in a few weeks and will be renting a scooter. I can walk some but can only stand for a few minutes. I'm going to the after hours party at MK and am hoping to ride Tron and Space Mountain, but I'm not sure how to do that since I have no one to push me in a wheelchair. Any idea how to handle this?

Self-propell

CM have been known to volunteer to push. I don't know the official policy.

CM's are not supposed to push guests using WC's. Can be safety issues, for both guest and CM. Just like they can offer an arm to help steady a guest with a transfer, but they can't lift or further assist.

Self-propell

Two times I've been solo in queue's where wheelchairs were required, I had CMs who offered to push me. And in one of those cases, when I was done with the ride. the CM gave me 3 anytime FP+s (back when there was free FP+) "for being so nice about it-some guests are kind of upset because we have to go thru some backstage areas)". Yet, I thought he was the one being nice.

Self-propell

I probably would be able to self propel on a flat surface, but Space Mountain is an incline and and from what I've seen on You Tube, Tron is too. Maybe I could push the wheelchair and then sit when the line stops. But if it keeps moving that probably won't work.

I probably would be able to self propel on a flat surface, but Space Mountain is an incline and and from what I've seen on You Tube, Tron is too. Maybe I could push the wheelchair and then sit when the line stops. But if it keeps moving that probably won't work.

You can use the wheelchair like a rollator - walk some, pushing the chair ahead, then sit (be sure to apply the brakes while sitting, especially on an incline).

It's not a perfect solution, but it might help you get through those queues.

I was in the same predicament this past year…I never did get to ride Pan or Pirates because the lines never got short enough for me to stand in…what was weird was a CM at Buzz let me in a back entrance but when I went the next day, another CM told me they’re not allowed to do that anymore 😖
I did stop at the Blue Umbrella kiosks and registered a complaint about solo mobility device users who couldn’t navigate a wheelchair by themselves being unable to enjoy rides and encourage others to do the same…

You can use the wheelchair like a rollator - walk some, pushing the chair ahead, then sit (be sure to apply the brakes while sitting, especially on an incline).

It's not a perfect solution, but it might help you get through those queues.
Thanks, mama bunny-that's exactly what I do in airports if I'm waiting at the gate and need to use the rest room (or get a cup of coffee and donut!) Never thought of doing that at Disney.

I don't know if this is the case for you - but if you're not used to moving in a wheelchair (not the scooter), I would encourage you to take some gloves for those moments. Also - man. Some ramps are just too much (I remember having the HARDEST time rolling myself up from MMRR after the ride) - I just wasn't quite strong enough given the slope!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter