[Solved]Tight sched: Magical Express vs. get picked up by relative at MCO?

Garth

DIS Vet? No Way! ...Way!
Wondering what you all think:
In just under 3 weeks DW and I are flying into MCO, set to arrive at 3:15pm. We have rezzies at 'OHana for 5:15pm. :thumbsup2 We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside. :woohoo:

My sister has volunteered to pick us up at MCO. This would involve picking up our luggage from baggage claim, driving to POR, checking in to get our pass-cards (which includes the Dining plan) and get over to the Poly by 5:15 for our reservation.

Question: Would it be quicker for us to do this in order to make our reservation or would it be quicker to use the Magical Express to get us to POR where my sister could meet us there and drive us to the Poly for the 5:15 rezzies?

What do you think? :confused3

TIA!

Figure about 90 minutes from the time you deplane for ME. Therefore, that would put you at POR around 4:45 pm. Then you have to check-in.

Figure about 90 minutes from the time you deplane, to wait for the luggage on the carousel, take it down to an area where she can pick you up and then getting to the resort.

You aren't going to really save time either way, and you are already cutting it real close with your ADR's.

I agree with missytara.

You may say a bit of time with your relative picking you up but you are cutting it very close either way. It is almost bordering on unlikely that you will make the dining reservation with either option.

You won't make the ADR if you take ME. You are very unlikely to make it if your sister picks you up.

I would change the ADR.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the 5:15 time for the ADR was all that was available when I made the ADR (over 1.5 months ago!). I've checked the reservation system for over a month since then and could never get a better time. :scared: (Except for 9:30pm) 'OHana is just way to popular :)

You won't make the ADR if you take ME. You are very unlikely to make it if your sister picks you up.

I would change the ADR.

And that's assuming your sister is experienced with navigating MCO and the route to WDW. If she's inexperienced with either, then you have to take into consideration possible inefficiences in the drive.

The very quickest time I have had to date, with DME, is about 50 mins. That time, all went very quickly...the tram was right there when we walked up, we walked right up to the counter at the DME welcome area, and got sent right to the bus line, where we walked right onto the bus...and since we were among the last to board, sat for only about 4 mins before we left. Then, our resort, POP, was the first stop. Generally speaking, that isn't the norm. It is more like 70 mins average.
If your flight arrives ontime at 3:15, you won't be at your resort until about 4:30, then add another 15 or so mins to get checked in...so now it's almost 5. No way are you going to make it.

You may cut some time off by getting picked up, but not much. You need to allow 90 mins to get to your resort. And to get from resort to resort is going to take a fair amount of time as well. Is your relative going to drive from POR to 'Ohana? If so, you may barely make it. You would have time to check in (be sure to do online checkin in order to speed up the process) and then head right to the Polynesian...no time to go to your room or drop your bags.

This all depends on one small factor, the plane getting in on time. My trip last year I made a ADR for Sanaa for the last lunch ADR available and that was 3 hours after my scheduled arrival. Weather caused us to be an hour late, circled the airport 3 times, was the last stop on ME, and Disney trying to put me in a non-handicap room when my ressie was for one. Yea I was late massively and it took the manager calling Sanaa to get me in before they closed.

One good thing is Disney gives you about 15 minutes leeway on a busy day and you may get in on a slow day with a little wait.

Have a good trip.

I would really urge you to skip 'Ohana this trip. The amount of stress tha would be involved in getting there would be a terrible way to start your trip.

My .02... if O'hana is that important, have Sis pick you up. Allowing 90 minutes to deplane, get luggage, meet Sis & drive to resort puts you at POLY (who says you have to go to POR first?) at 4:45. That's 30 minutes before your ressy. Even if you show up at 5:30, and possibly even 5:45 they'll seat you (or so I've read on Dis).

This assumes you can pay OOP for O'hana. If you need to get you KTTW card, yea you're screwed.

I think it is definitely doable, but everything has to go smoothly i.e your plane has to land on time, you get your bags in a reasonable amount of time and your sister is waiting at the curb for you outside the baggage claim area approx 50 feet away.
Drive to POR should be approx 30 minutes. Upon arriving at POR have your sister wait while you check-in and leave your bags with bell services. Then have sister drop you off at the POLY approx a 10 minute ride.

Deplane 3:15, arrive at baggage claim 3:25, get bags and to car 3:45, arrive at POR 4:15, check-in and leave bags at bell services 4:35, arrive at POLY 4:45. Enough time left to have a cocktail at Tambu Lounge, say hi to Francisco for me.

Variables your flight is late, your bags don't come out in a timely manner or worst get lost, your sister is not there waiting for you, your sister is not familiar with the route to take to POR or the POLY.

I have made it from deplaning to BCV in less than an hour and that included getting a rental car, so I know it can be done.

If your sister is not sure of the best routes report back here and I will get you step by step directions. I would hate to see you miss your Ohana dinner because it's my favorite WDW restaurant also, keep those skewers of shrimp coming.

Good Luck I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a great vacation.

My .02... if O'hana is that important, have Sis pick you up. Allowing 90 minutes to deplane, get luggage, meet Sis & drive to resort puts you at POLY (who says you have to go to POR first?) at 4:45. That's 30 minutes before your ressy. Even if you show up at 5:30, and possibly even 5:45 they'll seat you (or so I've read on Dis).

This assumes you can pay OOP for O'hana. If you need to get you KTTW card, yea you're screwed.

They do need to check in to get their KTTW for the DDP.

They could, but why do that??? They have to go to POR to get their KTTK card, with the DDP on them...otherwise they have to pay oop for dinner. So why not just drop the bags at POR? I suppose it could save 5 mins by leaving the bags in the car and just having one person run in and get checked in and get the KTTK cards for everyone.

To me..it's a bad way to start a vacation. I can just see it now.....the people in front of you on the plane are taking their own sweet time about getting off..you get nudgy. Then, there is a huge crowd heading to the tram..and the tram is just pulling out, so you now have to wait. The tram finally comes, you get on, but there is, again, a ton of others with you so that when you get off the tram, you have to move slowly due to others in front of you. Then, you have to make your way down to baggage claim.....but naturally, your bags are among the last to come out...or, you get all but one bag quickly, so stand there waiting for that last bag (that's what usually happens to me!!). Then, you meet your sister outside, hop in the car and off you go. But, there is traffic...and believe me, at this time of day, there is traffic. I have taken a shuttle bus from IoA/US at about 4:00, back to WDW. The traffic was crazy...so, it's going to take a bit of time to get to POR, especially for someone who isn't all that sure about the area.
FOr me, I would be a nutjob by now...worrying about not having enough time to get to 'Ohana, and missing my ADR. Really, it's just not worth it. I would either try for a much later time or just find someplace else to eat.

HI,

I have always used Magic Express and found
it to be speedy since they know exactly
where they are going. One can get
lost at Disney if not familiar with the road
system.
The drivers are always very nice and
accommodating wherever possible. I
always make sure to tip the driver.

S

They do need to check in to get their KTTW for the DDP.
As I said before... if they pay for O'hana OOP, this is doable. If they need KTTW, they're in trouble.

They can't take their luggage with them to the Poly.
I also answer 'why not'? Invite Sis to dinner with you (it's the least you can do). Luggage stays in car. After dinner, Sis takes you back to POR. You check in, she goes home.

I have made it from deplaning to BCV in less than an hour and that included getting a rental car, so I know it can be done.

If your sister is not sure of the best routes report back here and I will get you step by step directions. I would hate to see you miss your Ohana dinner because it's my favorite WDW restaurant also, keep those skewers of shrimp coming.

Good Luck I hope everything goes smoothly and you have a great vacation.

Thanks skelooch, if you have those pointers, I would be grateful. I could rely on Google maps or GPS, but if you've got an inside track, I'm all ears. And, yes, 'Ohana is one of my faves as well!! This time slot was the only opening workable for our stay. Here's hoping the plane is on time (or better yet, early) and the traffic is manageable!

Alesia said:
They can't take their luggage with them to the Poly.

sam_gordon said:
I also answer 'why not'? Invite Sis to dinner with you (it's the least you can do). Luggage stays in car. After dinner, Sis takes you back to POR. You check in, she goes home.

Good call sam_gordon :thumbsup2, this particular night was planned as way to have dinner with sis and she was the one that offered to pick us up. Originally I told her to just meet us at the resort (she is driving up from Punta Gorda area) When ADR resulted in such an early time, I took her up on her offer. Then I started wondering about DME.

As of now, she will pick us up, drive us to POR for check-in (on-line advanced already done at that point) then drive to the Poly for dinner. After that she is driving us back to POR and heading home.

goofy4tink said:
To me..it's a bad way to start a vacation. I can just see it now.....the people in front of you on the plane are taking their own sweet time about getting off..you get nudgy. Then, there is a huge crowd heading to the tram..and the tram is just pulling out, so you now have to wait. The tram finally comes, you get on, but there is, again, a ton of others with you so that when you get off the tram, you have to move slowly due to others in front of you. Then, you have to make your way down to baggage claim.....but naturally, your bags are among the last to come out...or, you get all but one bag quickly, so stand there waiting for that last bag (that's what usually happens to me!!). Then, you meet your sister outside, hop in the car and off you go. But, there is traffic...and believe me, at this time of day, there is traffic. I have taken a shuttle bus from IoA/US at about 4:00, back to WDW. The traffic was crazy...so, it's going to take a bit of time to get to POR, especially for someone who isn't all that sure about the area.
FOr me, I would be a nutjob by now...worrying about not having enough time to get to 'Ohana, and missing my ADR. Really, it's just not worth it. I would either try for a much later time or just find someplace else to eat.

:scared1: I certainly hope this will not be our experience! Although it very well could be! I will just need to roll with it I guess. Will I be bummed? Yes, but I will still be in my happy place, so we will be fine. Here's hoping some great Disney Magic :wizard:, pixie dust, and Gods' providence will get us seated in Ohana, even if we are a 'tad' late :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter