Some mobility questions

Earstou

DIS Veteran
We are going to DL this summer, and wondering about how to handle some problems I have. First, I have trouble getting off the moving walkway rides, like Buzz and HM. No trouble getting on, just getting off. Is there some way to just stop the ride for me to get off, or will I have to have them stop it BOTH when I get on and off?
Second, I have trouble walking between the seats at shows due to balance and gait. Also, if the que area is one large waiting room, people tend to push and shove which is very difficult for me. I try to stay towards the back, away from the mob, but sometimes that just doesn't work.
So what's the best way to handle these problems? I do know about the GAC, (have an aspie child) but have never used one for either of us!

You should have no problem at all. My brother is in a motorized wheelchair and can not transfer quickly to moving rides. the cm's are always more than helpful and 95% of the time will stop the ride to let you on. Only thing is you must enter at disabled entrance (sometimes the exit) of the ride. Just let a CM know your situation before standing in line and they will guide you. :moped:

Here's a link to a thread that should help you.
If you might need a moving walkway ride stopped to get off, you also need to get on at the exit. That way, the CMs who are getting you off will know that you might have difficulty (tell them when you are getting on at the exit). They do note the number of the car so that they know when your ride car gets back to the exit.
Also, if you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, you will find a link to the official Disney website. From there, you can download a copy of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. That will let you know which attractions have moving walkways.

Whoops, missed that you are going to DL, not WDW.
If you go to the official Disney site Disability Information Page, you will find links to the pages of their Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities.

And to clarify a bit, you can get on at the exit. Tell the CM you don't need the walkway stopped to get on, but will need it stopped to get off.

So will I need a GAC (or the DL version if it's different) to use the exit? For my other problems, would they allow me to go to the handicapped waiting area to avoid the mob, and to sit on an end of the row.
I went to WDW 2 years ago and fell going down a row at one of the shows, so I want to avoid that again!! :blush:

I think you would need a GAC (the DL one was re-named and made much more like WDW's a little over a year ago).
I'm not sure about DL, but at WDW, many of the shows don't really have a handicapped waiting area that is separate from the regular waiting area. If they do, you would need a GAC to wait there. Your best bet might be to just wait to go in until the "crowd" has passed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter