Something I Found Interesting

Sammie

DIS Veteran
There have been discussions on this forum about SSR and it's lack of appeal, owners staying elsewhere, etc. some even becoming very heated.

On a whim I have some time off the week of Dec. 10 and decided, what the heck, I will call MS and just see if anything is available that week. Figured nothing would be, but thought it would be fun to check.

I was looking for anything, any size, any location.

What I found was something available each day in various locations and various size units, in every resort "except" SSR.

They have nothing, the entire week.

There have been discussions on this forum about SSR and it's lack of appeal, owners staying elsewhere, etc. some even becoming very heated.

On a whim I have some time off the week of Dec. 10 and decided, what the heck, I will call MS and just see if anything is available that week. Figured nothing would be, but thought it would be fun to check.

What I found was something available each day in various locations and various size units, in every resort "except" SSR.

Now you've gone and ruined a bunch of theories on resort preferences. Thanks a lot, Sammie!

Oh Sammie.....Its been quiet for a while about SSR. :stir:

Its been nice not having to defend why we love SSR or prove its not anything less then the other resorts.

SSR seems to be the CRO favorite property. I think that DVD is trying to sell out the rest of SSR ASAP. I know that they push SSR on the CRO website. I was told by a CM that if inventory is available at SSR, other CRO resorts are instructed to offer free upgrades to SSR.

I guess they need new members because some of the oldies are not very happy. :)

I realize that there are two booking systems, but last week on Disney's website under "specials" there is a promo for SSR for Oct-Dec... there are a few black out dates, but I believe your dates are not black outs, so there must be some availability if CRO is running a special. I wondered how many units DVD owned?:confused3

I realize that there are two booking systems, but last week on Disney's website under "specials" there is a promo for SSR for Oct-Dec... there are a few black out dates, but I believe your dates are not black outs, so there must be some availability if CRO is running a special. I wondered how many units DVD owned?:confused3

I am not interested in the CRO inventory, only DVC points inventory and points is sold out.

Wow, Amazing.
But, who will be at SSR in December?
If the points inventory is sold out, what percentage of the resort is that? Who do we ask?
What about upgrades from the value resorts? How big a slice of the pie is that?
I agree that it is really cool that SSR is unavailable. It would be even cooler if the same is true next year.

If its completely filled, I feel so, so sorry for the poor souls stuck out in Carousel then. Especially if they don't have a car. But the first timers won't realize their fate until they get out there.:rolleyes: Sorry, but this resort left such a bad taste in my mouth. Its funny, recently I saw on a thread that there is golf cart type transportation for CSR guests to just get around their huge resort, why can't SSR do the same??

We couldn't get anything until mid January, and snagged a one bedroom at SSR. We haven't stayed at SSR since the restaurant was added, and can't wait to try it.
Did I read somewhere that an internal bus was added?

Sammie: Turns out that I have one of those one-bedrooms at Saratoga Springs that very week!!
Interestingly though, we really wanted OKW (or, as an alternate, Wilderness, which we never tried). When we made our ressie in mid-June, OKW and Wildernesss were "full" and we had to settle for SSR. And the CM told us then that there were only a handful of one bedrooms still available at SSR.

Note: This was for a "week long" ,7 night stay. There were various one bedroom units open for shorter periods at OKW and Wilderness, but nothing for a whole week.

Wow, Amazing.
If the points inventory is sold out, what percentage of the resort is that? Who do we ask?
I agree that it is really cool that SSR is unavailable. It would be even cooler if the same is true next year.

The upgrades should be in rooms that are "owned" by CRO either from their regular inventory or from the trade outs of other people to other non DVC resorts. Does anyone know if all the rooms available to CRO from trade outs go into one pool or are they resort specific? If they all go into one pool then they could conceivably take up quite a lot of rooms. The upgrades that we have heard about recently were for these last two weeks when they upgraded people with free dining. Do they routinely do this through the year or busy times? Maybe some of the rooms also went to people who were moved from AKL because of the construction.

If its completely filled, I feel so, so sorry for the poor souls stuck out in Carousel then. Especially if they don't have a car. But the first timers won't realize their fate until they get out there.:rolleyes: Sorry, but this resort left such a bad taste in my mouth. Its funny, recently I saw on a thread that there is golf cart type transportation for CSR guests to just get around their huge resort, why can't SSR do the same??
When the old DI resort was there they had golf carts for the guests to get around. I still think OKW is more spread out than SSR. Although I have not timed it, my sense is that it takes me longer to walk around OKW then it does SSR

Sammie, that is interesting about SSR but even more interesting about the other DVC resorts. Still opportunities for members to have a holiday trip.

But Sammie was the availability at other resorts for a night or two here and there?

I called perhaps two months ago and wanted a 1BR for S-Th nights. I asked for the last week of Nov. or first two of Dec.. I think it was the first week of Dec. that was completely sold out and the CM told me had not seen that for a long time. Other two weeks I could get only SSR. I picked the last week of Nov and waitlisted for others. OKW came through rather quickly.

Then I cancelled. A week or two later decided to go after all. Same thing for that week. SSR only. Still sitting on the waitlist for BCV or V@AKL.

Wow, Amazing.
Not being privy to all the details, I am going to assume that since it is anticipated that SSR will be sold out by Jan 2009, the majority of the rooms are filled by members. There is still some inventory in CRO and filling them with potential buyers makes sense to me. I had hoped that SSR would continue to NOT sell out, making last minute vacations possible.

But Sammie was the availability at other resorts for a night or two here and there?

I called perhaps two months ago and wanted a 1BR for S-Th nights. I asked for the last week of Nov. or first two of Dec.. I think it was the first week of Dec. that was completely sold out and the CM told me had not seen that for a long time. Other two weeks I could get only SSR. I picked the last week of Nov and waitlisted for others. OKW came through rather quickly.

Then I cancelled. A week or two later decided to go after all. Same thing for that week. SSR only. Still sitting on the waitlist for BCV or V@AKL.

There was nothing at any resort, for all the nights at the same location. However if I was willing to do some moving, I could get something, at every location for at least one day except SSR. They had nothing on any day, of any size.

Thanks for the reply, Sammie. That is interesting. If you decide to go, good luck with SSR.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does CRO mean?

Thanks!

PS: Glad I came across this thread, DH & I were thinking about going down that week and hoping to stay at SSR. Oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter