• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Songs best appreciated under circumstances

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
I’m watching Trevor Noah’s most recent comedy special and he’s talking about how much white people love Sweet Caroline. I couldn’t disagree with him because I’ve been to Pete’s Dueling Piano Bar when that song was played. All the drunk white people started swaying, raising their glasses, and singing along. I was one of them. My dad loved Neil Diamond so much he had all of his 8 tracks.

I then started thinking about other songs that are best enjoyed during certain occasions or under certain circumstances. So far I have The Cotton Eyed Joe midway through a wedding reception and I’ve Got Friends in Low Places under similar circumstances as Sweet Caroline. The difference is that during the Garth Brooks song you’re much more apt to put your arm around a perfect stranger’s shoulder.

What songs can y’all think of?

For country fans (or late night pub fans), is there any bar song more classic than David Allen Coe's "You never even called me by my name?" Sang that one a few too many times after a few too many beers in my misspent youth - typically during Last Call in the omg early morning hours. :rotfl:

If you bust out Stevie Wonder's My Eyes Don't Cry anywhere in Michigan there's a postage stamp of space to dance, be prepared to be stampeded or join in the Detroit Hustle.

More broadly, Livin' on a Prayer and Don't Stop Believing are almost guaranteed to be big sing alongs.
True classics.
For country fans (or late night pub fans), is there any bar song more classic than David Allen Coe's "You never even called me by my name?" Sang that one a few too many times after a few too many beers in my misspent youth - typically during Last Call in the omg early morning hours. :rotfl:
I can’t believe I forgot the song Closing Time. Last night my husband and I went out with another couple and suddenly the lights came on because they were closing. I instinctually expect that song to go on over the loudspeakers and was surprised when it didn’t.
Bohemian Rhapsody, I know this is a farce but I'd be lying if I didn't own up to spending way too much time in cars singing this at the top of my lungs with a group.

When I was in high school I loved that movie so much I had the soundtrack on CD. Have you seen the Muppets sing it? Highly recommend.
We Will Rock You--Queen

Indoor sporting events

Best when there’s metal bleachers to stomp on.
Sweet Caroline gives me goosebumps when sung by the crowd at Fenway Park. Outside of that I find it a little forced and cheesy.
That sounds awesome. I still think bar sing alongs are great too. 🙂

I think what angered so many people about Megan Rapinoe was she took our national anthem, that SHOULD be sung loudly and proudly in that moment, and turned it into an embarrassing political statement. As a contrast, the Colombian national anthem was turned into a raucous party by the supporters of that team.

I can’t believe I forgot the song Closing Time. Last night my husband and I went out with another couple and suddenly the lights came on because they were closing. I instinctually expect that song to go on over the loudspeakers and was surprised when it didn’t.
So here's the funny thing about Closing Time. I've also heard it at dozens of bars at 1:45 AM, but when Dan Wilson was writing it, he realised that the lyrics actually were a metaphor for childbirth as his wife was pregnant at the time. Listen to the song again, it makes perfect sense when you know that and it completely changes the meaning/reception of the song.

While it should never be played, the Cupid Shuffle is always at weddings. Fortunately, it's rarely played elsewhere.

I'll also add that The White Stripes' Seven Nation Army is now a staple at soccer stadiums around the world.

Listening to Margaritaville surrounded by semi tipsy/drunk people in a town square in the Villages is an otherworldly experience.
Margaritaville is the one I thought of too. Jimmy Buffet has several songs that are fun party favorites--Fins, Cheeseburger In Paradise, Volcano. On his posthumous album he recorded a song with Paul McCartney called "My Gummie Just Kicked In." That'll probably be big in the Villages too;)

Margaritaville is the one I thought of too. Jimmy Buffet has several songs that are fun party favorites--Fins, Cheeseburger In Paradise, Volcano. On his posthumous album he recorded a song with Paul McCartney called "My Gummie Just Kicked In." That'll probably be big in the Villages too;)
Born in the USA is humongous there too. I've witnessed literally everyone in the square lift up their drink and belt out "BORN IN THE USA!!!! I WAS BORN IN THE USA!!!!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter