South Africa ABD with Joe Rohde 2018

I think the price is VERY high, but I supposed you are paying for an "experience" and that's very hard to put a value on.

@CousinOrville I'm glad you are going! I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the trip.

I can't believe it sold out so quickly. Anyone know how many spots? I never even got notice (I couldn't have gone anyways, but after 5 or 6 trips with ABD you'd think they could include me on their e-mails about new trips).

@Cousin Orville you might want to consider a quick visit to Sabi Sands after your trip. You are almost guaranteed to see leopards every day. We are visiting there in early June for the second time (last year we stayed at Singita Ebony and this year we are staying at Londolozi Founders). We also saw a large pack of wild dogs with puppies (so adorable!) on a couple of occasions.

I think the price is VERY high, but I supposed you are paying for an "experience" and that's very hard to put a value on.

@CousinOrville I'm glad you are going! I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the trip.

I can't believe it sold out so quickly. Anyone know how many spots? I never even got notice (I couldn't have gone anyways, but after 5 or 6 trips with ABD you'd think they could include me on their e-mails about new trips).

@Cousin Orville you might want to consider a quick visit to Sabi Sands after your trip. You are almost guaranteed to see leopards every day. We are visiting there in early June for the second time (last year we stayed at Singita Ebony and this year we are staying at Londolozi Founders). We also saw a large pack of wild dogs with puppies (so adorable!) on a couple of occasions.

We have to head right back to work after the ABD. Believe me, I tried to figure out how to go back to the Victoria Falls Hotel. Taking this much time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is challenging. I remember you mentioning Sabi Sands before. I'll have to keep it on our to do list. I'm sure we'll be back when our youngest kids get old enough.

Not sure how many spots. I didn't get any email on it either. I just happened to be on the ABD site this weekend and saw it.

It should be an incredible experience traveling with Joe Rohde (who I've admired for years) and Dr. Penning. Certainly a once and a lifetime trip!

I had to call ABD today with some questions about my Iceland ABD, so I asked my Vacationista about this after I was done. The ABD only has 30 guests to accommodate the special guests (maybe they're bringing family?). She said it was sold out as of 9:30am this morning, but they are taking waitlists.

I never got notice, either, but obviously somebody did. I wonder if there was mention of it at Animal Kingdom yesterday during the D23 20th Anniversary celebrations? I know Joe Rohde was there for the celebrations.

Sayhello

I had to call ABD today with some questions about my Iceland ABD, so I asked my Vacationista about this after I was done. The ABD only has 30 guests to accommodate the special guests (maybe they're bringing family?). She said it was sold out as of 9:30am this morning, but they are taking waitlists.

I never got notice, either, but obviously somebody did. I wonder if there was mention of it at Animal Kingdom yesterday during the D23 20th Anniversary celebrations? I know Joe Rohde was there for the celebrations.

Sayhello

They did announce it Sunday night at the D23 dinner. Rohde and Dr. Penning were among the panel guests at the dinner. They told us only 24 slots and that as D23 members we could book the following day with the early booking groups. But they also said we were the first to hear about it, and that's obviously not the case because Cousin Orville's post was a day and a half prior.

They did announce it Sunday night at the D23 dinner. Rohde and Dr. Penning were among the panel guests at the dinner. They told us only 24 slots and that as D23 members we could book the following day with the early booking groups. But they also said we were the first to hear about it, and that's obviously not the case because Cousin Orville's post was a day and a half prior.
Yeah, it was on the web site, but you had to know to look for it.

For those of you who have flown to South Africa before (or any long distance 29+ hour flight) do you find it better to break the trip up into segments where you stay a couple of nights in London (for example) before heading down to Cape Town to begin to get acclimated to time zone change or is it better to just suck it up and get the flights done and get to your destination?

For those of you who have flown to South Africa before (or any long distance 29+ hour flight) do you find it better to break the trip up into segments where you stay a couple of nights in London (for example) before heading down to Cape Town to begin to get acclimated to time zone change or is it better to just suck it up and get the flights done and get to your destination?

My vote would be to get the flights over with unless you have strong desire to spend a couple of days in London. When I flew over last year we had an 8 hour layover in London. We left the airport for a few hours which was a nice break. For this trip we're flying through Dubai with another 8 hour layover. I'd just prefer to get to the destination faster.

My vote would be to get the flights over with unless you have strong desire to spend a couple of days in London. When I flew over last year we had an 8 hour layover in London. We left the airport for a few hours which was a nice break. For this trip we're flying through Dubai with another 8 hour layover. I'd just prefer to get to the destination faster.
Thank you for siding with me instead of my husband. :-)

When I am paying for a "trip of a lifetime", I want to make the most of my time there. Last year we did the ABD Rhine River cruise, stayed 3 nights in Amsterdam afterwards, then flew to South Africa (same time zone). We arrived feeling great, met our private greeter, cleared customs, grabbed our luggage, were whisked off to the private airport, met our pilot and co-pilot, flew to our lodge and were out on our first game drive the same afternoon we arrived in Jo'burg. Not sure if we could have done the game drive if we had flown from the US via another city.

This year we are staying 4 nights in London before we head to Jo'burg. We have tickets to see the Harry Potter stage show and also have booked tea at Claridges for the day we arrive. Then 2.5 days to enjoy the sites there (we haven't been to London since 2012). I find it so much easier to arrive in Africa when we leave from the same time zone (London is also in the same time zone).

However heading home I like to get back as quickly as possible.

Do whatever you are comfortable with. When we went to Australia we flew direct (20 hours with one stop after 4.5 hours to pick up passengers in Vancouver). Didn't stop us from enjoying every minute (though we were pretty tired the first day!).

No matter what you choose you will LOVE every minute in Africa. It's majestic.

When I am paying for a "trip of a lifetime", I want to make the most of my time there. Last year we did the ABD Rhine River cruise, stayed 3 nights in Amsterdam afterwards, then flew to South Africa (same time zone). We arrived feeling great, met our private greeter, cleared customs, grabbed our luggage, were whisked off to the private airport, met our pilot and co-pilot, flew to our lodge and were out on our first game drive the same afternoon we arrived in Jo'burg. Not sure if we could have done the game drive if we had flown from the US via another city.

This year we are staying 4 nights in London before we head to Jo'burg. We have tickets to see the Harry Potter stage show and also have booked tea at Claridges for the day we arrive. Then 2.5 days to enjoy the sites there (we haven't been to London since 2012). I find it so much easier to arrive in Africa when we leave from the same time zone (London is also in the same time zone).

However heading home I like to get back as quickly as possible.

Do whatever you are comfortable with. When we went to Australia we flew direct (20 hours with one stop after 4.5 hours to pick up passengers in Vancouver). Didn't stop us from enjoying every minute (though we were pretty tired the first day!).

No matter what you choose you will LOVE every minute in Africa. It's majestic.
These are great points and it sounds like you have had some fabulous travels and have some more in store. It is inspiring to hear what others have done and are planning to do. It makes me think more boldly about travel than I have in the past. Which is both scary and exciting! Thank you for your input, @*WDW*Groupie*

I am booked on this trip, still slightly in shock that it is happening and possible. I saw the notice Sunday night, texted my travel advisor right away, and was lucky enough to get a spot. I feel quite like Charlie Bucket opening the chocolate bar to see gold glinting beneath the wrapper.
I am trying to get oriented since I had not done any prep or reading prior to booking. South Africa was high on my bucket list, but never in the present. Cousin Orville, can you suggest any books or travel prep sites you found particularly helpful for this journey?

I am booked on this trip, still slightly in shock that it is happening and possible. I saw the notice Sunday night, texted my travel advisor right away, and was lucky enough to get a spot. I feel quite like Charlie Bucket opening the chocolate bar to see gold glinting beneath the wrapper.
I am trying to get oriented since I had not done any prep or reading prior to booking. South Africa was high on my bucket list, but never in the present. Cousin Orville, can you suggest any books or travel prep sites you found particularly helpful for this journey?
I am in the same boat. Shocked, delighted and unprepared. Looking for any advice about what you take into account when searching for flights and whether or not immunizations are necessary, among many other questions.

I am in the same boat. Shocked, delighted and unprepared. Looking for any advice about what you take into account when searching for flights and whether or not immunizations are necessary, among many other questions.

I'd look this over just to be sure: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/south-africa

Most are basic ones we get in the States (are you from the states...?) though if you have a stopover on your way there that happens to be a country with yellow fever you may need a yellow fever vaccine as well. I think some routes stop in Brazil for instance and/or if you are going elsewhere in Africa before going on to S. Africa you may need it too.

We're going to go straight through when we go next year on our trip (minus whatever short layover is necessary). I want to spend as much time IN my destination as possible - if vacation time weren't such a scarce commodity *maybe* we'd stop elsewhere... actually no scratch that we'd probably just add yet another location in Africa as Europe is far easier to get to! :laughing:

I'd look this over just to be sure: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/south-africa

Most are basic ones we get in the States (are you from the states...?) though if you have a stopover on your way there that happens to be a country with yellow fever you may need a yellow fever vaccine as well. I think some routes stop in Brazil for instance and/or if you are going elsewhere in Africa before going on to S. Africa you may need it too.

We're going to go straight through when we go next year on our trip (minus whatever short layover is necessary). I want to spend as much time IN my destination as possible - if vacation time weren't such a scarce commodity *maybe* we'd stop elsewhere... actually no scratch that we'd probably just add yet another location in Africa as Europe is far easier to get to! :laughing:
Yes, we live in the US. Thank you for your advice and CDC resource.

I ran into this dilemma last year. We were scheduled to fly through Brazil (United). I found out about the yellow fever problem in Brazil a few days prior to the trip. I decided to change flights to go through London instead. Thank God it was an even swap. I never could figure out if transit passengers through Brazil needed the YF vaccine. So, if heading through Sao Paolo, I'd recommend getting the vaccine to be safe!

That's great! I would recommend watching Invictus. That story actually came up on our trip. If you want to have an idea of what to expect, I have a trip report. I don't think there are any big spoilers in there. I'll be interested to see how this trip will differ in Cape Town. They're still covering a lot of the same ground in 1 less day. I'm interested in how they'll arrange it.

Oh, cool! I don't think I realized you were on this particular S. Africa trip. If you have any questions let me know. As far as flights... we wanted to book business with points. The only good option I could find with United Miles or Amex points was Emirates. United (which had great options last year flying Polaris and S. African Airlines) only had Air Ethiopia? Delta didn't have anything either. But Emirates did. One of the advantages with Emirates is flying directly into Cape Town. Most everyone else flies into Johannesburg and then you have to catch a final flight into Cape Town.

Oh, cool! I don't think I realized you were on this particular S. Africa trip. If you have any questions let me know. As far as flights... we wanted to book business with points. The only good option I could find with United Miles or Amex points was Emirates. United (which had great options last year flying Polaris and S. African Airlines) only had Air Ethiopia? Delta didn't have anything either. But Emirates did. One of the advantages with Emirates is flying directly into Cape Town. Most everyone else flies into Johannesburg and then you have to catch a final flight into Cape Town.

For the future, I actually quite like Ethiopian Airlines (it's a Star Alliance partner, which is why UA offers it). They business class is quite good. Though my flights with them have been within Africa not trans-Atlantic (Addiss is a fairly major travel hub in Africa).

For the future, I actually quite like Ethiopian Airlines (it's a Star Alliance partner, which is why UA offers it). They business class is quite good. Though my flights with them have been within Africa not trans-Atlantic (Addiss is a fairly major travel hub in Africa).

Good to know. Besides my lack of familiarity with Ethiopian Airlines, it would have added a third stop and a lot more time. So, it wasn't a great option in any case. It worked out well, as last year I was hoping to fly through Dubai, but it would have cost $ rather than points. So, we'll get to stop over this year. 8 hrs will hopefully be enough time to at least check out the Burj.

I've flown to South Africa twice in the past 8 months, and for me, unless you are going to be flying business or first class, I preferred to layover in London (or anywhere else you might like to visit). I live in California and knew that if I didn't layover somewhere, I'd have a hard time adjusting to time change on top of lack of sleep. I've just found for me it takes me about 2-3 days to get used to the new time zone and the layover allowed me to do that so I could be fully awake for my SA ABD. Otherwise, I would have been a zombie the first couple of days and probably would have got sick due to lack of sleep, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter