• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

We will be on the 11/12 trip & could really use some help from you all veterans. Lots of Qs.
  • Why do you get only one small backpack when two people are on the trip?
Called ABD but they couldn't answer any of these Qs about itinerary or timing:
  • The Handbook says you meet ABD on the outside arrivals median, is that where the transportation picks you up? Or do you have to walk to some other lot with your luggage?
  • Since you have to collect your own bags, I assume the bag tags in the trip package are only put on for transferring luggage from one hotel to another, correct?
  • The Handbook mentions nothing about a group viewing of the parade or fireworks. Aren't these included activities with reserved viewing?
  • Is the viewing area for WOC just the preferred standing room area? (Having seen it, that may not be worth standing through again)
  • Looking for some ballpark times for the start of these free time periods:
  1. Day 2, Monday: What time does the group break for "Dinner on your own in LA"?
  2. Day 4, Wednesday: What time does group break for "Lunch at Leisure & All Afternoon & Dinner on your own"?
  3. Day 5, Thursday: What time does the group break for "Lunch on your Own" & then reconvene for the "Farewell Dinner"?
Any other tips appreciated. Thanks!

We will be on the 11/12 trip & could really use some help from you all veterans. Lots of Qs.
  • Why do you get only one small backpack when two people are on the trip? It is like it is. We were 3 and only one backpack
  • The Handbook says you meet ABD on the outside arrivals median, is that where the transportation picks you up? Or do you have to walk to some other lot with your luggage? You need to get your luggage and meet the driver wherever he/she will tell you. You will get a call from your driver to let you know where to go
  • Since you have to collect your own bags, I assume the bag tags in the trip package are only put on for transferring luggage from one hotel to another, correct? Yes that's correct
  • The Handbook mentions nothing about a group viewing of the parade or fireworks. Aren't these included activities with reserved viewing? There are 3 group viewings with reserved space.
  • Is the viewing area for WOC just the preferred standing room area? (Having seen it, that may not be worth standing through again) it is the standing are in the middle of the lake, just where the wet zone ends.
  1. Day 2, Monday: What time does the group break for "Dinner on your own in LA"? You will take an ice cream at Ghirardelli s at 5:30pm after that, you are free.
  2. Day 4, Wednesday: What time does group break for "Lunch at Leisure & All Afternoon & Dinner on your own"? The morning activities end around 11am then lunch on your own and then you can attend the 6:30 parade with the group. Then again it is on your own
  3. Day 5, Thursday: What time does the group break for "Lunch on your Own" & then reconvene for the "Farewell Dinner"? Activities end around 11am and then you are suggested to meet at 5:30ish at the lobby. There is one activity and then farewell dinner at DCA.

• The Handbook says you meet ABD on the outside arrivals median, is that where the transportation picks you up? Or do you have to walk to some other lot with your luggage?
  • Since you have to collect your own bags, I assume the bag tags in the trip package are only put on for transferring luggage from one hotel to another, correct?
  • The Handbook mentions nothing about a group viewing of the parade or fireworks. Aren't these included activities with reserved viewing?
  • Is the viewing area for WOC just the preferred standing room area? (Having seen it, that may not be worth standing through again)
  1. Day 2, Monday: What time does the group break for "Dinner on your own in LA"?
  2. Day 4, Wednesday: What time does group break for "Lunch at Leisure & All Afternoon & Dinner on your own"?
  3. Day 5, Thursday: What time does the group break for "Lunch on your Own" & then reconvene for the "Farewell Dinner"?
Backpack made me mad too! I wanted one for each of us.
A driver met us as we entered baggage claim, he grabbed our bags and put onto a cart and walked to the car.
Yes tags just for transfers from Loews to Grand.
I think the group viewing is a special surprise, thus why not mentioned.
Yes WOC was just a preferred section where you stand.
Monday we were back around 4:30, but they treated anyone that wanted to Ghirardelli which was across the street.
Wednesday it was pretty early, I think by 11am. But that was also the day we met up for the parade viewing.
Thursday I thought around noon. Dinner meet up was pretty early I think 430 or 5. We had a group event (don’t want to list spoiler but if you’ve been on other ABD’s I think it’s the same as your final night surprise).

Not sure why they only send one backpack, but it's ultimately just a day bag that one party can easily share. I also have never brought the bag they send, since I travel enough that I have my own for every scenario.

My driver picked me up outside of baggage claim. I had to get my own bag and just walk right outside, not to a separate lot.

Correct about the bag tags, you only need those on the Hollywood to Disneyland transfer morning.

Group viewings for shows, parades, and fireworks can vary based on what's playing at the time. I would expect to have reserved spots for the DL fireworks and parade at some point during your trip, but in the past they've done Fantasmic and stage shows instead.

I'm not sure what the preferred standing room area is for WOC, but ABD gives us a private area right in the center of the viewing tiers for the show. It is better than the virtual queue areas and next to the VIP tours and party seating areas. It's about where the pin is in the center of this picture:
1694832011147.png

For ballpark times, Day 2 dinner is around 4:30 to 5, Day 4 lunch is around 11 to 11:30 but you may have some reserved show viewings added that afternoon, and Day 5 breaks around 10:30 and reconvenes at 4:30.

Most of the questions have been answered by others, but here is a couple things of note (our trip was a couple months ago):
  • What happened for me, was that on my phone, I was texted by the limo service (not ABD), about the service, and information to find the car. The chauffeur was waiting in his car for me, right outside the airport's baggage claim (we had to go to the second median as described). I communicated with the chauffeur by text while I was waiting for our luggage. We carried our own luggage to his car.

• Yes, we got to view DL Parade, DL Fireworks, and DCA WOC. They are roped off especially for ABD group. Please note that there are no chairs, so you can either sit on ground, or stand.

• To describe this, the area is roped off especially for our ABD group (this is true of the fireworks and parade as well). This gives you plenty of room, and you do not feel crowded at all. It is not the standard preferred area.

We just booked for the trip on 1/14. I’m thinking of adding a day to go to Universal Studios Hollywood as long as we’re out there so we can do the new Nintendo area. it would obviously make more sense to do this at the beginning of the trip when we’d be in Hollywood. Does anyone know if we would we still be able to get a pick up at the airport if we arrive before the trip?

We just booked for the trip on 1/14. I’m thinking of adding a day to go to Universal Studios Hollywood as long as we’re out there so we can do the new Nintendo area. it would obviously make more sense to do this at the beginning of the trip when we’d be in Hollywood. Does anyone know if we would we still be able to get a pick up at the airport if we arrive before the trip?
Yes, they will still pick you up if you book your extra days with ABD at the same hotel. Just let your travel agent or ABD know that you'd like to do that.

Yup, that's what we're doing!

Yep, we did the exact same thing a couple months ago. Just get the "pre-night" from ABD and stay at the Loews and they will pick you up on that day. We went to Universal too!

Also note, that I booked via DVC (disney vacation club) to get a room at the GCH after my trip, and even though I didn't book with ABD for it, they were nice enough to provide me with a driver back to the airport a couple days after the ABD ended. The alternative of course would just to book the post night stay with ABD at the GCH.

Yep, we did the exact same thing a couple months ago. Just get the "pre-night" from ABD and stay at the Loews and they will pick you up on that day. We went to Universal too!

Also note, that I booked via DVC (disney vacation club) to get a room at the GCH after my trip, and even though I didn't book with ABD for it, they were nice enough to provide me with a driver back to the airport a couple days after the ABD ended. The alternative of course would just to book the post night stay with ABD at the GCH.
How was Universal? Did you do just a regular day ticket or a tour? Did you go Sat and Sun or just Sat?

ABD actually seems to be relatively flexible with the transportation from the GCH on this particular ABD (not so much on most others). It's possible you could book the GCH on your own and still get the transportation. It would be worth asking ABD about it if it turns out to be significantly cheaper to book it direct with GCH.

Sayhello

How was Universal? Did you do just a regular day ticket or a tour? Did you go Sat and Sun or just Sat?
Not Steven, but I was on the same trip and also did Universal. I booked a 2-day ticket for Saturday and Sunday, with Nintendo World early entry on Sunday. My flight landed at 10 am Saturday and I got to the park around 1:30, managed to get into Nintendo World and do a lot of other rides and shows, and went back to the hotel around 8. Then Sunday morning I started with Nintendo, did the Mario Kart ride twice, beat all the minigames around the land, and was back in the normal areas by 9 am. It was plenty of time to do all the rides and a few shows, even without express or a VIP tour. I would like to try the VIP tour one day, but I didn't think it would be worth doing it on Sunday since you have to be back at the hotel for dinner by 6.

I did the same thing last year and Disney also provided transportation. I wanted to do the same this year, but studios were sold out, so I just used cash. One benefit to cash is you don't have to change rooms, but it also wasn't difficult last year.

For Universal, I did the VIP tour on Sunday. The VIP tour ended around 4:30 to 5:00pm, so we pretty much did two more rides after we left the group (Mario Kart and Simpsons). The only things we missed were "Secret Life of Pets" and the "Minions" ride, which is ok since we rode those on previous trips.. We also missed WaterWorld, which made me sad, but oh well. We still got back to the hotel and dinner with plenty of time. I think the dinner started at 7pm, not 6pm.

We didn't get to Los Angeles on Saturday until 4pm, so it didn't make sense to go Universal on Saturday.

ABD actually seems to be relatively flexible with the transportation from the GCH on this particular ABD (not so much on most others). It's possible you could book the GCH on your own and still get the transportation. It would be worth asking ABD about it if it turns out to be significantly cheaper to book it direct with GCH.

Sayhello
I have asked and ABD has told me that staying at any Disney property after the trip still gets you a ride to the airport at the end. We're staying at the Villas at Disneyland Hotel Friday and will still get transportation Saturday to fly home from LAX

I have asked and ABD has told me that staying at any Disney property after the trip still gets you a ride to the airport at the end. We're staying at the Villas at Disneyland Hotel Friday and will still get transportation Saturday to fly home from LAX
Good to know. I believe they will also provide you a transfer from Disney property to Hollywood if you'd like to do pre-nights in Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter