• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest free WiFi and MDE

ulcards99

Mouseketeer
We will be on a plane when the virtual queue opens up for Remy. Does anyone know if MDE works with the free WiFi? I know some apps will work with it but wasn’t sure if anyone has tried.

We will be on a plane when the virtual queue opens up for Remy. Does anyone know if MDE works with the free WiFi? I know some apps will work with it but wasn’t sure if anyone has tried.
The WiFi cost is $8 per day, per device, unless you have A-List Preferred status. If you have a Chase Rapid Rewards credit card and use the card to pay, you get 25% back on inflight charges. Keep in mind that there is the remote possibility that the WiFi will not work, as it can get glitchy. Southwest will refund the cost of paid WiFi, upon request, if the WiFi has problems during your flight.

From Southwest:
$8 Internet Access
Satellite-based gate-to-gate Internet connectivity is available for $8 all day, per device. (Free for our A-List Preferred Members!)
In order to provide the best experience, we block access to certain high-bandwidth applications, websites, and video conferencing services, including, but not limited to, Netflix, HBO Max, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams. In consideration of the public environment onboard, we also block potentially offensive content.

My memory is that you can see flight info, SW info, and text for free via iMessages and another program but general web-browsing and other apps will need the in-flight paid wifi. I've never actually tried MDE using the free wifi - so I'm hesitant to outright say no (but I don't think it'll work).

My memory is that you can see flight info, SW info, and text for free via iMessages and another program but general web-browsing and other apps will need the in-flight paid wifi. I've never actually tried MDE using the free wifi - so I'm hesitant to outright say no (but I don't think it'll work).
Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are the other programs that work on the free wifi. I would be very surprised if MDE worked on the free wifi. Theoretically the paid wifi should work, but for some things the latency of the satellite connection make it more difficult. I would expect that to be the case with trying to get on Remy's.

Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are the other programs that work on the free wifi. I would be very surprised if MDE worked on the free wifi. Theoretically the paid wifi should work, but for some things the latency of the satellite connection make it more difficult. I would expect that to be the case with trying to get on Remy's.
Thanks - I was thinking WhatsApp but wasn't 100% sure (but truthfully I don't use either of those - good to know they have 3!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter