Southwest July/Aug fares

cdepauli

Briar Rose
We were dead set on driving down to Orlando from PA July 28-Aug 5. We really hate the idea of cutting in to resort/park time with travelling and have since decided to fly. Except, wow, the flights are much more than I expected. What are chances of getting a direct fare under $250 rt (at decent times - AM flight down/PM flight back) from the Eastern PA area (Baltimore/DC/Philly/Harrisburg/Allentown any airline)?

We fly mainly Southwest, and booked Southwest BWI-MCO 7/30-8/7 for well under that... but that was a few months back. You can still get close to $250rt flying that route on Southwest if you don't mind early/late flights (that's all we ever take). Maybe also look at the red-eye on 7/27 if you can get to the airport in enough time.

I'm seeing:
7/28 6:15am BWI-MCO nonstop - $139
8/5 11:10pm MCO-BWI nonstop - $121
Total: $260

If you're feeling lucky...

Spirit & Frontier both have nonstops PHL-MCO rt under $250 (before fees) that fall in your time range.

If you're feeling really lucky..

Allegiant from either ABE or MDT will get you to Orlando-Sanford for well under your price point (even with fees). Unfortunately, the Allentown flights leave and return in the AM and the Harrisburg flights leave and return in the PM for your dates.

Keep your options open...you're still more than a couple months away, so there might be a sale or price drop to your liking, but don't count on it.

Personally, I'd drive before taking Allegiant, but that's just me.

Also, play with your dates, just a little. Check into flying down Friday night instead of Saturday...Friday's usually not a great discount time, but you never know. Could even pay to stay in an airport area hotel that night.

One other thing...could you fly out of Trenton (TTN)? A quick look has one ways on your dates on Frontier for $84 or $99 ($84 if you join their Discount Den...there's a charge for that, but I think it would cover all of you). Their flight times aren't the best (I think down at night and back early AM)...you could go Friday night at same price, if that's feasible for you.

We were dead set on driving down to Orlando from PA July 28-Aug 5. We really hate the idea of cutting in to resort/park time with travelling and have since decided to fly. Except, wow, the flights are much more than I expected. What are chances of getting a direct fare under $250 rt (at decent times - AM flight down/PM flight back) from the Eastern PA area (Baltimore/DC/Philly/Harrisburg/Allentown any airline)?
Do you mean *direct* or *non stop*? They are two different things. A direct flight stops at an airport on the way to your destination but you do not change planes.
Denise

Hang in there and keep checking. My sept SW fares started at $322 going and $232 coming back from Albany, NY. My fares are now down to $132 going & $103 coming back. I have gotten over 4000 pts back since I booked a month ago

Nonstop, yes. Sorry about that. My husband worked for an airport for 10 years and has his private pilot license, I should use proper terms lol.

We have kids so with seat choice fees and baggage charges, Frontier/Allegiant usually don't end up being good options since they end up within range of a good SW fare. My aunt and uncle frequently fly both with no issues so I'm not nervous to fly with them but just prefer the ease of SW.

Can't fly out Fri night because my husband has to work.

We ended up booking the 6:30 am 7/28 flight BWI/MCO for $121 today and will keep looking for a return flight. If worse comes to worst, we can always rent a car and drive back to BWI, get our car, and drive home. At least this way I can keep an eye on MCO/TPA/SFB return flights.

That's AWESOME yankebabie! I'm hoping the fare drops and we can apply the credit back to the return fare or that we can get a better time. We haven't been flying so much since having kids so the whole SW points thing is over my head lol.

Check often. The prices for our August trip were $300+ last month (ALB to MCO) and have been holding steady at $152. I checked this morning and they had dropped to $103. By the time I booked, got my confirmation and checked again the prices had gone back up. So I’d suggest checking often and book quick!

I just rebooked that flight for $72! I'll use the credit for the return flight :)

I guess we’ll be getting up REALLY early.

Last edited:
Allegiant from either ABE or MDT will get you to Orlando-Sanford for well under your price point (even with fees). Unfortunately, the Allentown flights leave and return in the AM and the Harrisburg flights leave and return in the PM for your dates.

I work for an airline, but not Allegiant. You should never consider putting your family on an Allegiant flight. There are numerous articles and reports citing poor maintenance and performance of their aircraft.

I work for an airline, but not Allegiant. You should never consider putting your family on an Allegiant flight. There are numerous articles and reports citing poor maintenance and performance of their aircraft.

That’s why I prefaced it with “If you’re feeing really lucky...”

We are traveling in July rather than August this year because for us the July SWA fares were cheaper than August. Which is no huge deal and really partly my fault because I waited too long to book them. Lesson learned (again!).

YAY! Perseverance paid off and I just booked our return flight for $99. I even used points to pay for my ticket (which is fancy for me since I've never done it before lol)!

Now I just need to watch for a drop in price for our flight down so I don't have to be in Baltimore at 6 AY EM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter