Spectrum & Disney

WEDWDW

DIS Veteran
Spectrum is saying today that the removal of the Disney lineup may be permanent.

Can Spectrum survive without ESPN,etc?

Great news for the streaming services.

Last edited:
In an odd coincidence, YouTube TV told me that my local CW station would be disappearing today. Some kind of shift-of-affiliation thing or something, not sure, not interested enough to look it up. I will need to do something if this is still going on when Superman & Lois comes back next year (sorry to mention DC characters on a Disney forum, but hey, my tastes are eclectic). In a way I miss the old days when TV stations did not vanish for days or weeks at a time without warning.

In an odd coincidence, YouTube TV told me that my local CW station would be disappearing today. Some kind of shift-of-affiliation thing or something, not sure, not interested enough to look it up. I will need to do something if this is still going on when Superman & Lois comes back next year (sorry to mention DC characters on a Disney forum, but hey, my tastes are eclectic). In a way I miss the old days when TV stations did not vanish for days or weeks at a time without warning.
I read an article that Google (YTTV owners) had an issue with passing local stations in some markets. Don't know if that's what happened to you, but throwing it out there.

It isn't just Disney & ESPN. We lost ABC too. Luckily with reruns playing, it hasn't impacted watching any new shows.

I do have a set or rabbit ears antenna for the local channels, for when my cable (as a whole) goes out. I just have to set it up, so I can watch ABC, if this goes on for much longer.

Seems like a lot of huffing/puffing from Spectrum who wants to play the victim. I have plenty of other channels I can watch...............LOL.

The only thing that's "new" in this is the players. MVPDs (sat and cable companies) have been battling broadcasters for decades(?).

ESPN however, is the elephant in the room. They require a larger per subscriber fee than any other channel. Spectrum is gambling they won't lose a lot of customers without providing ESPN.

And, @Imzadi, Disney owns SOME ABC local channels, just like they own ESPN. That's why your ABC would be a part of the takedown.

It isn't just Disney & ESPN. We lost ABC too. Luckily with reruns playing, it hasn't impacted watching any new shows.

I do have a set or rabbit ears antenna for the local channels, for when my cable (as a whole) goes out. I just have to set it up, so I can watch ABC, if this goes on for much longer.
We didn’t lose our local ABC channel. We did lose our Disney channel, Freeform, FX, and ESPN.

And, @Imzadi, Disney owns SOME ABC local channels, just like they own ESPN. That's why your ABC would be a part of the takedown.

Interesting, I thought Disney owned all of ABC. And they just switch to local affiliates for the local news.

We didn’t lose our local ABC channel. We did lose our Disney channel, Freeform, FX, and ESPN.

Oh no! I hadn't checked Freeform & FX earlier. Yep, those are gone too. :badpc: Last month I had my Spectrum account changed. They lopped off an extra $50/month if I cut my cable channels down to just 15 cable channels (plus some local channels included) - from the 200+ I don't watch.

Of course, ABC (included,) Freeform & FX are of the ones I picked. :headache:

Yep, @WEDWDW is right. Maybe time for some more binge watching via streaming.

And if those channels are permanently gone, time to switch to YouTube TV. :teleport:

Last edited:
If they don't get this renegotiated pretty quickly, this is going to be what finally gets DH to agree to cut the cable cord. Sports are the main reason we still pay the crazy high Spectrum cable prices.

If they don't get this renegotiated pretty quickly, this is going to be what finally gets DH to agree to cut the cable cord. Sports are the main reason we still pay the crazy high Spectrum cable prices.

I worked out the pricing when I got the $50 price & channels cut last month. I checked into Sling & YouTube TV, but I'm just paying about $15 more and I get a FEW of the local PBS channels and some other channels which show oldies stuff.

I was willing to pay the $15 for the convenience of not having to work different remotes and gadgets to watch TV. But, now that I may have to do that to get local ABC via an antenna and to stream for binge watching, I may just make the jump to YouTube TV.

If you follow the numbers Charter pays Disney 4% of their total revenue. They will lose a lot more than 4% of their customers and also would have to lower their prices. Guessing Disney wins this round.
Everyone wants to bash Disney but Disney controls the most content. TV is nothing without content

I'm glad I dumped Spectrum a couple months ago.
Spectrum is the only wired tv provider in our neighborhood and the only internet option as well. We had satellite tv for a while, until it got too expensive. I use a mobile hotspot for my internet. I would not have Spectrum if they paid me for the privilege.

Interesting, I thought Disney owned all of ABC. And they just switch to local affiliates for the local news.
Disney owns ABC Network. That includes SOME local affiliates. Most Local affiliates are owned by other entities.

Call Spectrum and ask for a credit for the channels you're currently not getting. My husband just got off the phone and we're getting a $15 credit this month. Not much but better than nothing.

Call Spectrum and ask for a credit for the channels you're currently not getting. My husband just got off the phone and we're getting a $15 credit this month. Not much but better than nothing.

Are they expected to be off the whole month? :( I'm hoping just several days, until they renegotiate again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter