Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure how much of a farewell tour Disney will give Splash given the circumstances of closure. I’m sure there will be some merch, but idk if they’re going to give it the big hoopla they have with some other attractions

Reading through responses elsewhere, both on this site and off, I feel weird being on somewhat the same “side” as some of the people most outraged. Yikes.

I just want a properly done refurb and no screens, scrims, and large blank areas. The recent refurbs don’t fill me with confidence. Then I read those other comments and feel like I need to slowly back into the bushes like Homer Simpson. Those are NOT my people 😳

I think Disney knows why people loved Splash Mtn, and not necessarily for the characters. But just the ride elements in general. I dont think they’d mess with much of the aesthetic of the ride. I’m hopeful and I’m really hoping I’m not wrong. But for the last few hours “screens” have gone through my mind

Why is it that hard to believe?

People have talked about the idea of a Princess and the Frog refurb of Splash for a long time. Is it that hard to think Disney had considered the possibility too? They have to have tons of concepts “in discussion”, some concepts tabled and revisited for years I would imagine.

I think the announcement timing is convenient but I can believe the concept was discussed in some fashion before this.

You are probably right. The Disney of today has made an effort to distance it's from SotS, so it would not surprise me if it was underway long before the current turmoil.

Not sure it would fit in the same way, but just want to note that the New Orleans area of DL was one of my favorite parts of visiting when I went for the first time a few years ago and I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing a bit of that over to Florida.

I think Disney knows why people loved Splash Mtn, and not necessarily for the characters. But just the ride elements in general. I dont think they’d mess with much of the aesthetic of the ride. I’m hopeful and I’m really hoping I’m not wrong. But for the last few hours “screens” have gone through my mind

I have absolute faith in the Imagineers, I worry things will happen out of their hands that turn planned concept into scaled back results like Navi River Journey.

Also just have to throw in my residual bitterness over the SSE descent lol. Don’t pull that again, Disney.

And yet lots of people DO love that ride because of the characters.

Let's be honest....a water log ride with a drop is a dime a dozen and I am sure many of us are within a 2 hour drive of one right now. Do you know how often I ride the log ride at the local amusement park. Almost never.

It IS about the characters for many people.

And yet lots of people DO love that ride because of the characters.

Let's be honest....a water log ride with a drop is a dime a dozen and I am sure many of us are within a 2 hour drive of one right now. Do you know how often I ride the log ride at the local amusement park. Almost never.

It IS about the characters for many people.

I wish there was a log flume even half as good as the Splash Mountain layout even a 20 hour drive from me. But there isnt. The ride itself makes it. You can replace the current characters with any animatronics and its still a fun ride. Just need a catchy tune and PatF have a couple

I wonder how much of a spike Princess and the Frog sees on Disney+ today. I tried to get my kids to watch it today but Bluey won.

I expect some. It's not in my top five list. I still would love a Lion King attraction other than a stage show.

There are so many movies that deserve an attraction. I’d love an Aladdin motion simulator type attraction

Considering the current state of Disney fiscally, I don't think we will see screens or anything big changed in regards to the overall ride itself. My guess would be new animatronics and music (obviously).

While I like the song and the ride, it's hard to say the Song of the South was "a product of its time". It was the 1940s and it wasn't like Disney didn't know Song of the South was fully racist when the movie came out. There were many articles and complaints at the time that called it out for being racist and Disney just ignored them.

This is 100% true. People were protesting outside this movie when it came out.

Considering the current state of Disney fiscally, I don't think we will see screens or anything big changed in regards to the overall ride itself. My guess would be new animatronics and music (obviously).

Its been a while since I’ve seen the movie, but I dont remember briar patches in the movie. And removing all the briar patches in the ride would take up a lot of space. I dont think they’ll leave those spaces empty

Reading through responses elsewhere, both on this site and off, I feel weird being on somewhat the same “side” as some of the people most outraged. Yikes.

I just want a properly done refurb and no screens, scrims, and large blank areas. The recent refurbs don’t fill me with confidence. Then I read those other comments and feel like I need to slowly back into the bushes like Homer Simpson. Those are NOT my people 😳

Exxactly - but these days there can only be two sides - extreme in both directions.

It's like a lot of people didn't like The Last Jedi. They had a problem with the script or whatever, and I will happily debate those people and respect their opinion. Then there are those who didn't lklike it because they felt it had too many females, etc. etc. That is a different thing altogether, but then it becomes "if you didn't like the move then you are sexist!" and the ensuing clap-back-and-forth, leaving those trying to look at things critically drowned out. For the record I liked the movie quite a bit - but not because of nor despite any social issues perceived therein. The same is true of Splash Mountain - most people probably don't even know what it's based on and ride it, and love it for it alone. We must be careful not to paint those people with the same brush as those who want it to stay for the wrong reasons. That has largely not been happening here, but I imagine Twitter - ohhhhhh boy! That's why I stay off Twitter. Twitter is poison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter