Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured the timeline had to be far off since they’re postponing things that have not (or barely) started and from what we know all together scrapping some plans due to budget cuts.

I’m wondering if its concrete that this ride makes it to both coasts or if by the time they get close enough to start initial work if the PatF goes to DLR and WDW gets another IP to replace theirs. Making plans well in advance of actually starting work could put the project in jeopardy.

Clearly Disney does and did in this case. If you can't see how the pain of generations of slavery followed by the state-sponsored terrorism of the Jim Crow era followed by the systemic racism that persists to this day is different than other pain I don't know what I can do to convince you.

I'm not comparing. That's not for me to judge. It's not about whose pain is greater or worse or longer or shorter or more legit or anything like that.

The only point I was trying to make is if..."This causes me pain, it makes me uncomfortable" is the rule we are going to go by, I am cool with that. But...then we have to apply that same rule/logic elsewhere.

Universal is going to close the Jimmy Fallon ride because it is horrible. It’s about as bad as the Fast and Furious ride. That’s an area that they should just burn down and start over.

I thought the singers were nice and quite talented and the ride was cute (I think). When a ride is forgettable though, you know it’s a skip next time. 😳 I remember every little thing in Living with the Land though and can recite the entire ride. Weird? Probably.

I'm so pleased about this. I love splash, and I'll enjoy riding it one last time, but I can see why this is a good time to make the change and I know whatever they do with this will be awesome - everyone lost their minds with the other re-themes and they have all (imho) been improvements.

I don’t particularly love FEA, but people have some incredibly rose colored glasses on when they talk about Maelstrom. It was almost always a walk on attraction.

Popular and good are two completely different categories. You could have stuck an anna and elsa attraction in stichs great escape and lines would be out the door. Disney showed they cant properly update a classic attraction here. Splash Mountain will now have a longer line bc its a princess attached. Does that make it a better ride?

I'm so pleased about this. I love splash, and I'll enjoy riding it one last time, but I can see why this is a good time to make the change and I know whatever they do with this will be awesome - everyone lost their minds with the other re-themes and they have all (imho) been improvements.

I think some will disagree, Horizons was so much better than Mission Space! :) I’m sure it would have been boring for a lot of people so it’s understandable they updated it.

Was Song of the South re-released at any point in the 80’s? I have a memory of seeing it in the theatre, but I wasn’t around for the original release, lol. Just trying to figure out if remembering it wrong.

One movie is available on Disney+, one movie is not. Why do you think that is? If you want to watch Song of the South, you really can’t. Why do you think Disney has buried it for at least 30 years?

I was not at all talking about the movie - it was in response to the idea that visiting a theme park with an area set in 1910 means we are "pining for the good old days" and that means we preferred how things were back then. I don't think it means that at all and was just pointing out that PatF is set in the same era. If Main Street USA should be stricken, then what about PatF? I think the idea is silly on both counts. Obviously Song of the South is problematic as a movie and PatF is not.

Popular and good are two completely different categories. You could have stuck an anna and elsa attraction in stichs great escape and lines would be out the door. Disney showed they cant properly update a classic attraction here. Splash Mountain will now have a longer line bc its a princess attached. Does that make it a better ride?

We don't know what the new "splash mountain" one will be like, if you want to choose to be pessimistic about it that's ok your choice. However, Splash Mountain is in a whole different league than Maelstrom when talking about classic attractions. Many of us have a really hard time believing Disney won't give it their all when updating one of their most famous attractions.

Was Song of the South re-released at any point in the 80’s? I have a memory of seeing it in the theatre, but I wasn’t around for the original release, lol. Just trying to figure out if remembering it wrong.

Yes, it was released in the 80's and parts shown on TV as recently as 2000. Seems crazy, right?

One movie is available on Disney+, one movie is not. Why do you think that is? If you want to watch Song of the South, you really can’t. Why do you think Disney has buried it for at least 30 years?

This may be true but I also know there are people out there who have real problems with how PatF portrayed race as well...I'm not kidding, I wish I was.

So, who's to say in 5, 10 years, people won't want Princess and the Frog gone too?

It might be on Disney+ now. But, you never know what may happen.

I had to find it on the Internet to watch. It's pretty comparable to Gone with the Wind.

This may be true but I also know there are people out there who have real problems with how PatF portrayed race as well...I'm not kidding, I wish I was.

So, who's to say in 5, 10 years, people won't want Princess and the Frog gone too?

It might be on Disney+ now. But, you never know what may happen.
Maybe they will, and Disney will deal with it at that point. Societal norms change over time and the parks adapt to that. This isn’t a new phenomenon. Can you honestly not see the problem with the IP that Splash Mountain is based on? It’s my favorite ride in Magic Kingdom, but I understand why it has to change.

Yes it was. 80 and 86. I also saw it in the theater, had the album and sing-a-long book.

I mean I just watched the "Going down the Bayou" song/scene...that would be an AMAZING part of ride!

Yeah down on the Louisiana bayou... classic Frontierland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter