Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are unwilling to have an open mind. That is fine. Keep beating that drum. You don't like the music, fine. You don't like the movie, fine. You prefer for Splash to stay the way it is, ok. But it's not. It's being changed. The end.

Haha well that was certainly uncalled for. No need for a personal attack simply because I made a good point.

How am I unwilling to have an open mind by simply stating the ride will be different and I don't like some songs? I'm definitely willing to give the ride a chance - I went in expecting FEE to be bad and ended up loving it more than Maelstrom. I'm not hopeful - but I certainly give it a chance.

But you've got some weird aggression that not everyone is agreeing with your opinion. Varying opinions on things are okay, my man. I'm not mad at you for liking the movie and being happy about the change... no reason for you to get upset that I disagree.

Haha well that was certainly uncalled for. No need for a personal attack simply because I made a good point.

How am I unwilling to have an open mind by simply stating the ride will be different and I don't like some songs? I'm definitely willing to give the ride a chance - I went in expecting FEE to be bad and ended up loving it more than Maelstrom.

But you've got some weird aggression that not everyone is agreeing with your opinion. Varying opinions on things are okay, my man. I'm not bad at you for liking the movie and being happy about the change... no reason for you to get upset that I disagree.

1. If you think that was an attack you obviously haven't been on the internet much. I respect the moderator of this forum too much to go on personal attacks. I do not call people names.

2. I am not exhibiting aggression. I do not care one bit who is happy or unhappy with this change. I do care that people are unwilling to understand why. My "weird aggression" to you is my passion for change to me.

3. Yep I always take it personally when someone doesn't like Dr. John. Not your fault. That's just me. :)

4. I am no man.

The ride mechanics are the same for Winnie the Pooh when it was Mr. Toad. Is it the same ride?

Ride mechanics are the same for Frozen Ever After from when it was Maelstrom... is it the same ride?

We can be honest that it's a different ride.

And I do think the songs of PATF are kinda terrible. I love jazz and Randy Newman is probably in my top 10 artists of all time... but I think the songs are pretty weak. I do love "Almost There", but that's it.

Adore Dr. John (love love love him) and agree with you about the music. Anika Rose has a stunning voice, this just wasn’t one of my favorite soundtracks. Charles Mingus, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, that’s jazz.

1. If you think that was an attack you obviously haven't been on the internet much. I respect the moderator of this forum too much to go on personal attacks. I do not call people names.

2. I am not exhibiting aggression. I do not care one bit who is happy or unhappy with this change. I do care that people are unwilling to understand why. My "weird aggression" to you is my passion for change to me.

3. Yep I always take it personally when someone doesn't like Dr. John. Not your fault. That's just me. :)

4. I am no man.

"Passion for change"... I like the phrasing of that.

In terms of the music... haha I respect your dedication. This will just have to be an irreconcilable rift between us!

And apologizes about the "my man" thing. It's a bad habit of mine to just assume I'm speaking to a dude online. I should have paid more attention to your pic. My eye just instantly goes to Donald!

Adore Dr. John (love love love him) and agree with you about the music. Anika Rose has a stunning voice, this just wasn’t one of my favorite soundtracks. Charles Mingus, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, that’s jazz.

Yeah I just find the songs weak - more so the lyrics. Just not up to standards of Disney or Mr. Newman. Most of it just seemed like filler.

Brer Rabbit and Ananse Stories from Africa

: Looking At Ourselves In Ghana

Rev Peter E Adotey Addo

Here is the final word on that old Brer Rabbit. The Origins Of The Brer Rabbit Stories In The American South

In Africa Ananse, the Spider, is the hero of all folktales. The Spider is a crafty, cantankerous, and wise creature. He is regarded as the one who challenges the creator. One day as the legend goes, Ananse collected all Wisdom from the earth and attempted to hide it on the top of the tallest tree in the forest, thereby depriving all humans of knowledge and wisdom. The Spider, carrying the "Pot of Wisdom," was reminded by his own son how stupid his attempt was. In trying to place the pot behind him Ananse fell and as you can imagine the pot broke and naturally Wisdom was scattered all over the world and so it happened that everybody got a piece of wisdom. Knowledge, we believe in Africa is and should be free for all. Among the Ga Speaking people of Ghana by this simple act the Great Creator who made Wisdom also made it free for all people and no one person has all the Wisdom. Everyone has just a piece of the Knowledge and no one has it all.

Most of the Stories referred to as Brer Rabbit are actually Anasne Stories brought to the Americas by the African American Slaves introduced here Centuries ago. In an attempt to keep their Culture alive in this Strange and forbidden place they found themselves, they tried against all odds to keep alive the few songs and stories about the homeland they would never see again. It was something they could remember and so they held on to the Ananse the Wise Trickster figure they were all familiar with from the Land of their birth.

Here the act of Story Telling was a very important part of their Lives since it was by this Oral Tradition that History was kept alive and transmitted from one generation to another. Secondly all the Ananse Stories ended with Specific Messages, Morals or Advice , Proverbs or a Very Wise Saying. What they had then was an Instrument of transmitting Knowledge, Morals, Ethical Values, and an Instrument of sharing but also Preserving their Common Values in a new Land. Thus the very close similarity between the Ananse Stories of Africa and the Brer Rabbit Stories.

For further Reading.....Check .. How the Spider Became Bald: Folktales and Legends from West Africa by Rev Peter E Adotey Addo at Amazon.com

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/features/Brer-Rabbit-and-Ananse-Stories-from-Africa-269761

Obi-Wan to Luke in "Return of the Jedi":

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

I love Splash Mountain.

Disney Fanatics mostly like to hold on to nostalgia and memories with an Iron Fist. It doesn't matter what it is; a ride, a sidewalk, a menu item, an ice cream flavor whatever. It's their default stance.

Disney does an aaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing job triggering memories and nostalgia for generations of families (obviously) but this is probably the largest "drawback" to that, is when they need to change/update something there will always be a bit of a response to it.

It’s really about nostalgia. WDW peaked for me at the end of the 90s. The rides available for me then without the new crazy FP system basically requiring me to stay on site we’re glorious. I also miss the charm of River Country.

Universal Orlando peaked for me after both Harry Potter sections opened up. I miss Terminator, Twister, and the stunt car show. I haven’t ridden Hagrid’s.

My go to Disney parks are in CA now. I have less nostalgia, and it’s less planning intensive.

The kids that are now adults are going to miss Splash Mountain because that’s what they grew up riding.

If this NEEDS to happen NOW and it is so "problematic" why is Disney not putting their money where their mouth is? They should be pulling all the merchandise, and the ride should not open when the park opens. In fact, the ride should be stripped down and everything destroyed before the park opens, right? Its going to be just as problematic for the unspecified period of time that it remains open.

If this NEEDS to happen NOW and it is so "problematic" why is Disney not putting their money where their mouth is? They should be pulling all the merchandise, and the ride should not open when the park opens. In fact, the ride should be stripped down and everything destroyed before the park opens, right? Its going to be just as problematic for the unspecified period of time that it remains open.

Don't give them any ideas...

Yeah I just find the songs weak - more so the lyrics. Just not up to standards of Disney or Mr. Newman. Most of it just seemed like filler.

Yeah, I agree. The music from PatF isn't all that special to me. It's not bad but it's not among my favorite soundtracks. I actually prefer some arrangements from the parks as opposed to what appears in the movie directly, like from Mickey's Soundsational Parade or Mickey and the Magical Map. It's still not my preferred musical style.

Probably true. It was probably mostly people who never even go to Disney parks.

Same with the twitter reaction. People who don't even care about these things pitch a fit and celebrate when it's thrown into the trash.
There are actually many people who go to Disney World (or DLR) who also have a basic grasp of race and racism. Riding roller coasters or believing in princesses don't negate the ability to think about the world around us. Just because you don't see it as racist doesn't mean you're right and others are wrong or non-existent.

There are actually many people who go to Disney World (or DLR) who also have a basic grasp of race and racism. Riding roller coasters or believing in princesses don't negate the ability to think about the world around us. Just because you don't see it as racist doesn't mean you're right and others are wrong or non-existent.

Liking Splash Mountain also doesn’t mean you don’t have a basic grasp of race or racism.

Just an honest question though - could it ever actually be seperated? I don't think most people even know about those connections. At what point is something its own thing? This is just an honest line of thought becuase almost anything can be linked to something unsavory.

I think it is possible becuase the original stories were original african stories that were then co-oped by a white man who then created uncle remus.

Could you go back to the original stories and bypass all the uncle remus stuff and focus on them done by the black community as their stories? Yes I think it is possible. However, given Disney's baggage with the IP I don't think they can do it. It would need to come from someplace like Tyler Perry Productions.

Only in the context of the original movie. Outside of that, you could take it to mean just. about anything.

No not just in the context of the movie. The song is based off of an old minstrel song from the 1800s. That is a problem.

I love the song. I hate to see it go but it also has to.

Brer Rabbit and Ananse Stories from Africa

: Looking At Ourselves In Ghana

Rev Peter E Adotey Addo

Here is the final word on that old Brer Rabbit. The Origins Of The Brer Rabbit Stories In The American South

In Africa Ananse, the Spider, is the hero of all folktales. The Spider is a crafty, cantankerous, and wise creature. He is regarded as the one who challenges the creator. One day as the legend goes, Ananse collected all Wisdom from the earth and attempted to hide it on the top of the tallest tree in the forest, thereby depriving all humans of knowledge and wisdom. The Spider, carrying the "Pot of Wisdom," was reminded by his own son how stupid his attempt was. In trying to place the pot behind him Ananse fell and as you can imagine the pot broke and naturally Wisdom was scattered all over the world and so it happened that everybody got a piece of wisdom. Knowledge, we believe in Africa is and should be free for all. Among the Ga Speaking people of Ghana by this simple act the Great Creator who made Wisdom also made it free for all people and no one person has all the Wisdom. Everyone has just a piece of the Knowledge and no one has it all.

Most of the Stories referred to as Brer Rabbit are actually Anasne Stories brought to the Americas by the African American Slaves introduced here Centuries ago. In an attempt to keep their Culture alive in this Strange and forbidden place they found themselves, they tried against all odds to keep alive the few songs and stories about the homeland they would never see again. It was something they could remember and so they held on to the Ananse the Wise Trickster figure they were all familiar with from the Land of their birth.

Here the act of Story Telling was a very important part of their Lives since it was by this Oral Tradition that History was kept alive and transmitted from one generation to another. Secondly all the Ananse Stories ended with Specific Messages, Morals or Advice , Proverbs or a Very Wise Saying. What they had then was an Instrument of transmitting Knowledge, Morals, Ethical Values, and an Instrument of sharing but also Preserving their Common Values in a new Land. Thus the very close similarity between the Ananse Stories of Africa and the Brer Rabbit Stories.

For further Reading.....Check .. How the Spider Became Bald: Folktales and Legends from West Africa by Rev Peter E Adotey Addo at Amazon.com

https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/features/Brer-Rabbit-and-Ananse-Stories-from-Africa-269761

Makes you wonder if Disney could retcon Song of the South and "redo" it as from Africa, keeping the animated characters and tunes but reworking the overarching story as purely African.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter