Split Stay Logistics (Luggage/Transportation)

Roxas_XIII

White Card Pleb
Very excited to be taking my first trip to Hawaii in November to celebrate a milestone anniversary. :) My SO has fond memories of staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village as a teen, and really wanted to stay there. I, of course, really wanted to go to Aulani. ;) So we're doing a split stay - first half of the trip at HHV and the second half at Aulani.

Any advice as to how to handle the logistics of getting from HHV to Aulani? I'm very comfortable with ride sharing services, but the main issue I see is our luggage. I was originally thinking we'd spend the transition day exploring the island. Renting a car would be fun, and would eliminate the luggage problem, but would require figuring out where to rent and return the car. It doesn't seem like there are any one-way dropoff options on the island - at least not that I've found. (By this I mean picking up the rental in the HHV area and dropping off in the Aulani area. I'm aware one way dropoffs come with an upcharge, but I'm more concerned with convenience on this trip than price.)

Another option I looked into was luggage delivery services, but I wasn't exactly sure how that would work, either.

How have you guys handled this? :O

I suppose we could Uber/Lyft from HHV to Aulani in the morning, drop off our bags, and rent a car at Aulani. Can you do after-hours dropoffs at the Aulani rental place, or would I have to be back by 5 (or whenever it closes)?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Aloha! You're going to have so much fun! How many days are you planning at each resort?

We are doing the same thing for our trip in November-December. Staying at HHV for a couple nights, then moving to Aulani for the remainder of our trip. We have hired a car service (Top Limo Hawaii) to transfer us from HHV to Aulani. We plan to rent a car for 24 hours through Alamo at Aulani, so we can get out and explore the island one day (pick up early one morning and return next morning). With the increase in car rental prices and one-ways impossible, this was our cheapest option to avoid all the parking fees at Aulani when we don't need a car the entire time.

Hey, thanks! I'm pretty excited! Three days planned at HHV and four at Aulani. A night in California before and after the trip to break up the long flight and hopefully make the jet lag easier. 😆

The more I think on it, the more I think this approach makes the most sense. The biggest bummer is the fact that Aualani is in the opposite direction of most of what I want to visit, so there would be some backtracking/lost time. But that's probably just me overplanning, and neglecting to remember that I'll be in Hawaii and even just driving around will be fun and beautiful! 🌺

Hope you guys have an awesome stay as well!!!

What other things are you planning to do & see? Would renting a car at HHV or nearby in Waikiki for the day work better for getting to those places?

For what it's worth, we've done both scenarios for just a day car rental and always able to see quite a bit. The island isn't all that big, though certain experiences or activities can take a good chunk out of the day.

IMO, the best option would be renting a car in Waikiki or even HNL airport on your HHV check-out day and keeping it for the duration of your Aulani stay. You avoid having the rental car during your time at HHV where parking costs and challenges are prohibitive (plus Waikiki is walkable) and it gives you logistical flexibility while at Aulani since Ko Olina is in a more remote location. You can then return the car at the airport when you leave, because you will also need a car service to the airport as well. Rideshare isn't the most reliable on the island, especially up in Ko Olina.

If you go this route, I would caution against leaving luggage in your car for an extended time, depending on where you want to stop. Theft from tourists is common across the island, especially at certain landmarks and tourist attractions.

Just rent a car at the airport when you arrive and keep it for the whole trip.

Also, jet lag flying West isn't really a thing. Skip the first night in California and add an 8th night in Hawaii. Keep the last night in California.

People who haven't been also seem to vastly overestimate the size of the island. You see Aulani described as being "in the middle of nowhere" but it's literally 35 minutes from HHV, 25 minutes from HNL, 25 minutes from Pearl Harbor, etc. Nothing is far from anything.
We've had this debate before and respectfully disagree, so just to offer another perspective for OP, traffic plays a huge factor. There is one way into Ko Olina and one way out, and its highway driving. Rush hour is 6am-9/10am and 3pm-7pm. Its 45-60 minutes to the windward side of the island in decent traffic, where Kailua, Kualoa Ranch, Byodo-In Temple, etc. are. We encountered traffic and it took us about 90 minutes. Its about 50 minutes to Hanauma Bay not including traffic. Over an hour to PCC. All of that said, its true there is not one hotel that is close to everything on Oahu. But Ko Olina is still considered a somewhat remote area with nothing north of it, and I doubt anyone would describe it as centrally located.

So, my best advice is to plan excursions based on your location at each resort and try to avoid rush hour traffic. Weekend days are best for excursions from Aulani both to avoid traffic and to avoid locals that often make the resort crowded on weekends.

Just rent a car at the airport when you arrive and keep it for the whole trip.

Also, jet lag flying West isn't really a thing. Skip the first night in California and add an 8th night in Hawaii. Keep the last night in California.
I also agree that I would not do CA in the beginning - maximize your time in Hawaii. On the way back, I always just want to get home but I do see the value in stopping in that direction.

I'd also agree with renting a car at the airport, if budget isn't a huge concern. It would be the easiest and you'd avoid fees for separate pick up and drop off locations. But, I'd suggest pricing out the cost of the car for the HHV days plus HHV parking costs versus the cost of picking up on your last day and paying a separate drop off location fee. You won't need the car at HHV, but frankly, I'd be willing to pay a little more for the convenience of getting it at the airport.

We stayed at HHV for two nights in 2019 before Aulani. We Ubered to HHV from airport and around town to do Honolulu sightseeing. Rather than pay for parking at HHV. Then we rented a car from downtown Ohau, went to Aulani, no parking fees for DVC, and returned car after 11 nights at HNL airport. There was no additional drop off charge. Easy as can be.

We stayed at HHV for two nights in 2019 before Aulani. We Ubered to HHV from airport and around town to do Honolulu sightseeing. Rather than pay for parking at HHV. Then we rented a car from downtown Ohau, went to Aulani, no parking fees for DVC, and returned car after 11 nights at HNL airport. Easy as can be.

Then we rented a car from downtown Ohau, went to Aulani, no parking fees for DVC, and returned car after 11 nights at HNL airport. There was no additional drop off charge. Easy as can be.

That sounds like the most convenient! Do you happen to recall what rental service?

I'm a DVC member, but this will be a cash Aulani stay - so I assume I'll be on the hook for parking costs.

I keep going back and forth on this one. It seems like just biting the bullet and getting a car for most or all of the trip would theoretically be the most convenient... but parking alone will run almost $400 by itself, if I'm adding it altogether right. I wouldn't mind swallowing that cost if it weren't for the fact that I really only WANT a car for one day (transition/sightseeing day). I hate driving, and would rather not have to keep up with a car over the course of the week. 😂

I think my personal laziness is winning out here, and I'll just Uber everywhere. But I'll still think on it. 😁

Now to figure out how I want to spend that transition day!

Lot's of good ideas above.

I'll add our experience: When we did a split stay it was Waikiki -->cruise--> Aulani. We did rideshare from the airport to Waikiki, and for one day rented a car from a location downtown near our hotel. That day was enough to knock out a lot of sightseeing and a loop around the island. Rideshare to the cruise port then from the port to Aulani. By the time we got to Aulani we just wanted to chill and not deal with a lot of touring.
This trip is just Aulani so we're renting a car from Aulani Fri-Mon but will do rideshare to/from the airport.

I'm partial to rideshare when I travel too and don't like to deal with parking and driving more than necessary. Your luggage transfer makes it a little tricky, but I think dropping it off at Aulani on the way up (for a clockwise circle tour) would solve that. Agree with not leaving luggage in the car at the tourist destinations.

ETA: Also because there is a rental car shortage right now you should be sure to cost out all of these options. For our trip in November it was super expensive to rent a car for the whole trip, and we will want a number of days to sit around anyway. Expect availability and price to be different than on the mainland.

Last edited:
That sounds like the most convenient! Do you happen to recall what rental service?

I'm a DVC member, but this will be a cash Aulani stay - so I assume I'll be on the hook for parking costs.

I keep going back and forth on this one. It seems like just biting the bullet and getting a car for most or all of the trip would theoretically be the most convenient... but parking alone will run almost $400 by itself, if I'm adding it altogether right. I wouldn't mind swallowing that cost if it weren't for the fact that I really only WANT a car for one day (transition/sightseeing day). I hate driving, and would rather not have to keep up with a car over the course of the week. 😂

I think my personal laziness is winning out here, and I'll just Uber everywhere. But I'll still think on it. 😁

Now to figure out how I want to spend that transition day!
It was Hertz.

Lot's of good ideas above.

I'll add our experience: When we did a split stay it was Waikiki -->cruise--> Aulani. We did rideshare from the airport to Waikiki, and for one day rented a car from a location downtown near our hotel. That day was enough to knock out a lot of sightseeing and a loop around the island. Rideshare to the cruise port then from the port to Aulani. By the time we got to Aulani we just wanted to chill and not deal with a lot of touring.
This trip is just Aulani so we're renting a car from Aulani Fri-Mon but will do rideshare to/from the airport.

I'm partial to rideshare when I travel too and don't like to deal with parking and driving more than necessary. Your luggage transfer makes it a little tricky, but I think dropping it off at Aulani on the way up (for a clockwise circle tour) would solve that. Agree with not leaving luggage in the car at the tourist destinations.

ETA: Also because there is a rental car shortage right now you should be sure to cost out all of these options. For our trip in November it was super expensive to rent a car for the whole trip, and we will want a number of days to sit around anyway. Expect availability and price to be different than on the mainland.

A few locals in the forum have stated that ride shares have been incredibly expensive lately. I would check to see if they are still more expensive than usual.

A few locals in the forum have stated that ride shares have been incredibly expensive lately. I would check to see if they are still more expensive than usual.
Yes, that's the case everywhere right now. Shortage of drivers for both rideshare and taxis, higher prices/lower availability of rental cars. Temper expectations, with Covid it feels like a really good time to just lay on the beach in a Casabella.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter