"Spoiled" by DVC at a young age

Tara

Bad Influence
I took my 8yo son to NYC for a "mommy and me" getaway weekend a week ago and on the train down I was discussing possible places to eat where he can get things he likes to eat. He said, "That's okay Mommy, we can just fix something in the room." I realized then that it has been about a year since we stayed in a regular hotel room - DVC with kitchens and such as already become the norm to him! :laughing:

I won't even get into his comments about preferring cabs to the subway...

That's okay...my DD10 has been practically raised at WDW and on DCL :rotfl:

Last time we were at WDW, a limo went by us on our way to Artist Point for supper. AJ piped up with, "Mom, you really should order us a limo for the next trip!" :laughing:

My son has flown first class a number of times and on one trip not long ago, we boarded and he said "are we in first class this time?" and when I said we were he said "thank god!" :lmao: Out of the mouths of babes, as they say...

Yep, our DS6 always wants to know where the kitchen and living room are if we stay in a regular hotel room. And last time he said, "I don't like this at all, Mommy." Spoiled!!:laughing: Of course, this is the same child who invites EVERYONE with us to Disney--extended family, friends, teachers, the cashier from Wal-Mart, whoever he is talking to at the time...no clue how much it costs. He just knows he LOVES it.:lovestruc

My DD will be 2 in April... she loves looking at The DVC planner. She knows all the resorts by name! She also knows The Grand Floridian as where the "Hoi Polloi" stay! This past December, I asked her "Where Do The Hoi Polloi Stay"? While on the WDW RR at Main St. Station!
13555_201758202551_683377551_2900553_3500453_n.jpg

We went down to disney with another family and decided to drive since there were so many people and the cost (total of 11 of us that trip)....on the way, my 4 year old son said "I told you we should have taken the airplane" and "Its really HARD to get to disney in a car"....continued to whole way there and back.

Yes...we are making the trek to WDW this year by car from PA, planning to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, tour the Biltmore estate, and spend a couple of days in Savannah before arriving at Disney. It should be interesting to see how the princess manages in the back seat for 3 days on the way down as opposed to 2 1/2 hours on the plane in AirTran's business class :rotfl:

Tell me about it. DGD has made 2 trips with us. 1st one at age 4 to a studio at OKW, next one at age 6 in a 1 bedroom at BLT. There she declared her preference for the OKW studio... she was pouting because she had to use the pull-out chair instead of having her own bed. She also wanted to know why we got to have the bedroom and not her. Grandpa and I both informed her it was because we were the ones paying for the trip :rolleyes:

I won't even bother with the "are we there yet" moments.

I secretly wish the DD would plan an old-school vaca there (22 hour drive one way and stay at a budget hotel)... just so the little princess would have a clue. :lmao:

But, lets face it. Spoiling them rotten is the entire purpose of being a grandparent. And the rare occasion we have to roll our eyes are vastly outweighed by the many, many magical memories of the DGD's sheer delight during her Disney trips.

The photo at Crystal Palace, when Pooh comes to the table and gives her a hug... you could light up the night with her smile. :lovestruc Magic like that makes it all worthwhile.

Yes...we are making the trek to WDW this year by car from PA, planning to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, tour the Biltmore estate, and spend a couple of days in Savannah before arriving at Disney. It should be interesting to see how the princess manages in the back seat for 3 days on the way down as opposed to 2 1/2 hours on the plane in AirTran's business class :rotfl:
We always drive down to Disney and we live near Scranton, Pa, Biltmore is really nice, and very large alot of walking. We have also stopped in Savannah and find it quite nice.

I love your travel plans.

DH and I laugh at the "monsters" we've created. We stayed BW concierge before buying DVC and our boys constantly want to know if we're staying concierge. DH says at their ages he didn't even know what it meant!?! Funny thing is they rarely took advantage besides breakfast pastries and possibly a soda and cookies in the evening. We have more than that in the room and mom makes the pancakes. Guess my pancakes don't rank....:confused3

Well my 13 yr son, who :snooty:, when I couldn't get AT's business class seats on our flight from DTW-MCO last Easter(Mom managed to get them on the way back). He hates sitting the in "tiny seats". We always do AT business class, so much so a couple of AT FA's know us. :rotfl2:

Well he hated the 5 hour drive up to Northern MI last summer. Nothing like a surly teenage boy.

I'm just scared with both of them(other's 8 and not quite as :snooty:) flying 1st class to HI this summer. Delta has the inseat personal tv's :eek:, AT business class won't be up to snuff for them probably.

Luckily mine doesn't complain about coach (yet). But I will say that even in international first class, he still can't contain himself in his seat when he sleeps and his legs flop over the console to my side! (We've never flown in a "pod" configured first class together, though I don't think I'd like it as I wouldn't want to be that separated.)

Yup - my DD is also Disney spoiled. DH and I often joke about how nice it must be for her that she'll have obtained platinum Castaway Club status by the time she's old enough to start paying for her own cruises. Oh, the life... :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

:rotfl2: This thread is cracking me up!! We currently do not have this problem because both of our children are still to young to understand. I have a soon to be 2 yr old and an almost 6 month old. Our 1st trip home will be in June, and with how excited we're getting for our trip I know our children are gonna be just as spoiled and have strong opinions also lol. Unfortunately they won't know what it's like to fly for many years. I just can't bring myself to step on a plane right now lol.

Thank you all for my 1st mornings smile!! :goodvibes

Just wait until they get older it gets worse. DD is 18 and is just finished her 20th trip to WDW. On our last family trip last year for SB she was crying because she thought she would "NEVER" come with us again because her SB and her brother's SB would be different. Well, a college friend invited her to Delray Beach for their college SB this year and DD talked us into getting them 2 nights at WDW. No big deal is was only 30 points and the parents were with them too. Nice trade off - take our DD on SB and we give you 2 nights at WDW. Cost us nothing :worship:

Boys are on their 17th and 19th trip and they are 13 and 15, respectively. Staying at any other hotel is boring without basketball hoops, tennis, and cool pools.

When we checked into a (nice) Spring Hill Suites room in November in Hershey, my 7 yo wanted to know DH and I were going to sleep! I think it's cute. I took my DD14 to disney on a mother/daughter trip in Dec and flew first class. Now my boys say I *owe* them a first class trip.

I'm just glad they enjoy the DVC rooms so much. If they were complaining about the DVC rooms THEN I'd think they were spoiled. My memories of WDW as a kid are riding in the back of the station wagon for 18 hours and then staying in the crappiest Days Inn ever. I'm glad their memories will be a little different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter